Currency Problem with Delphi
Author Message
 Currency Problem with Delphi

I am working on a project that deals with Oracle database and using delphi
3.0 as
the UI.  In order to produce applications that allows user to save all
changes(add, delete, edit) at the end of the program and perhaps cancel all
the changes made.
The only solution is using the starttransaction, commit and rollback to
allow the
flexibility for user.  However, I tested and found that there is problem in
concurrency
when running the same program concurrently.

Scenerio :

Program One             Program Two
start transaction         start transaction
Deleted a record         Trys to delete that record
                                 Program hangs until program one commits;
commits                    Resume

Q1 : Is there a way to check the status of that record before deleting
(example : record not deleted) ?
Q2 : Is that the way all delphi database application uses(start
transaction..) to implement this type of flexibility for user. Any problems
encounter ?

Another way of doing is using cache update for tables. However,  I found
the processing quite slow ! Funny, I always thought that cache update
should be
faster.  I also hesitated in using cache update because of the possibility
of not getting the latest information.

Q3: So When to use cache update(TQuery with TUpdateSQL) and when to use
starttransaction ?

I spend time looking for a good database book on delphi.  However, I can't
find
a book that really target on this type of issues. Please comment and please
e-mail to me ! Thanx alot.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Currency Problem with Delphi

Where do you put the transaction control so that Delphi doesn't initiate
a post when the user navigates off a record which has changes pending?

Quote:

> I am working on a project that deals with Oracle database and using Delphi
> 3.0 as
> the UI.  In order to produce applications that allows user to save all
> changes(add, delete, edit) at the end of the program and perhaps cancel all
> the changes made.
> The only solution is using the starttransaction, commit and rollback to
> allow the
> flexibility for user.  However, I tested and found that there is problem in
> concurrency
> when running the same program concurrently.

> Scenerio :

> Program One             Program Two
> start transaction         start transaction
> Deleted a record         Trys to delete that record
>                                  Program hangs until program one commits;
> commits                    Resume

> Q1 : Is there a way to check the status of that record before deleting
> (example : record not deleted) ?
> Q2 : Is that the way all delphi database application uses(start
> transaction..) to implement this type of flexibility for user. Any problems
> encounter ?

> Another way of doing is using cache update for tables. However,  I found
> the processing quite slow ! Funny, I always thought that cache update
> should be
> faster.  I also hesitated in using cache update because of the possibility
> of not getting the latest information.

> Q3: So When to use cache update(TQuery with TUpdateSQL) and when to use
> starttransaction ?

> I spend time looking for a good database book on delphi.  However, I can't
> find
> a book that really target on this type of issues. Please comment and please
> e-mail to me ! Thanx alot.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. problem with Access Currency Field

2. Currency format problem

3. EURO, Dual currency problems

4. Currency Problems

5. Problem: Change Currency to Euro?

6. AddFieldDef - (currency) Decimal point problem

7. Delphi currency amount converter ???

8. Currency field display format

9. Euro currency symbol ...

10. Alternative for currency field

11. Currency Fields

12. How to get REAL numbers in DBGRid to show like currency