serial communications? 
Author Message
 serial communications?

Anybody doing any serial communications from within Delphi?
Have you used a VCL package from someone? Payware, shareware or freeware?
How did it work?

We need to do some and are interested in other's experiences. I saw there
is a package from Silverware and another called Commincations Pro (or
something like that - it's not in front of me right now).

Thanks for sharing.


--
Bob Woodward, Associate Manager                    University of Iowa



Sat, 25 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 serial communications?

{SNIP}

Quote:
>I haven't done any communications work in Delphi *yet*, but I suggest
>you check out Async Pro for Delphi (from TurboPower). We use their Async
>Pro for DOS library, and it's very good. I've looked over the "use it
>only in the IDE" version of their Delphi package, and at first glance it
>looks like TurboPower has outdone themselves.

Have they included the documentation yet? I looked at it a few months ago and
it looked really promising but when I wanted to go deeper into it all I had
were the .INT files.

Dave Hunt
Cedar Rapids, Iowa



Mon, 27 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 serial communications?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Quote:


>{SNIP}
>Have they included the documentation yet? I looked at it a few months ago and
>it looked really promising but when I wanted to go deeper into it all I had
>were the .INT files.

I doubt very seriously that we will ever include the documentation in its
entirety...there's just too much of it.

We do have a help file, however, that documents all of the methods and
properties in the library.  You need to download it separately though.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBMKItRoxuanrdxs15AQEp7QQAgFh5Us+36LLHyNrZhsxipiEAVLBzlZp4
dMhJ1snKxLkdZPKujy1+HhhoffttZv8dUCrJRz4VpSybn6p5OJ1tPmzqvgNTcndd
ev15DpXd3kX6VDHqGyHF5lbNBhs21+jXYihdivAFRK5SH7OlAe4eqRlQQR/7Mha0
VKaG1AhvoUg=
=H+0D
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Bryan Erik Slatner,  TurboPower Software Company

http://rainbow.rmii.com/~bslatner
Fingerprint: FD 66 C9 86 7B F2 AE DB 1E 3B 81 E0 87 70 A6 9D

Read alt.religion.scientology to find out how the Church (spit!)
of Scientology is attempting to destroy your freedom to
communicate electronically and how they're trying to "clear"
the planet...one bank account at a time.

My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.



Tue, 28 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 serial communications?

Quote:

>>Anybody doing any serial communications from within Delphi?
>>Have you used a VCL package from someone? Payware, shareware or freeware?
>>How did it work?

>>We need to do some and are interested in other's experiences. I saw there
>>is a package from Silverware and another called Commincations Pro (or
>>something like that - it's not in front of me right now).

>>Thanks for sharing.

> I haven't done any communications work in Delphi *yet*, but I suggest
> you check out Async Pro for Delphi (from TurboPower). We use their Async
> Pro for DOS library, and it's very good. I've looked over the "use it
> only in the IDE" version of their Delphi package, and at first glance it
> looks like TurboPower has outdone themselves.

Except that auto-answer functions don't always do what they are told.

Hanging up is a real nuisance, sometimes leaving the computer in limbo-land
and the modem in the land of nod - sometimes rebooting doesn't solve the
problem and have to start up with pcAnyWHere to be able to use the modem
again.

I and two others have wasted thousands of dollars on not getting this aspect
working.

Everything else works perfectly and one example I sent them worked perfectly
on their machines, but not on mine or my clients' machines.

Transfer control is excellent, that has worked every time.

Error recovery from a break in the telephone connection is not working
because of the auto-answer/hangup/auto-answer in-limbo problem.

I have had to earn money elsewhere to make up for losses before I get back
to them to fix this problem, but they are willing to help.

Soon I will have time and money to start pursuing this again.

Their TCom example which has been built from their tools does work fine.

--
Raymond Kennington                | Act in haste and repent at leisure
                                  | Code too soon and debug forever
University of South Australia     | ....Dale and Lily (I think)
Computer and Information Science  | Knobs, knobs everywhere,
Levels                            |        just vary a knob to think!
Pooraka 5095                      | ....Metamagical Themas, Hofsta"dter
South Australia



Fri, 01 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 serial communications?

Quote:

>Except that auto-answer functions don't always do what they are told.
>Hanging up is a real nuisance, sometimes leaving the computer in limbo-land
>and the modem in the land of nod - sometimes rebooting doesn't solve the
>problem and have to start up with pcAnyWHere to be able to use the modem
>again.
>I and two others have wasted thousands of dollars on not getting this aspect
>working.

Yikes!!! I certainly hate to hear that since I personally wrote those parts
of the library!  Looking at your entry in our registration database, I see
you've been talking with Terry Hughes about your problems...if you start
contacting me directly (you have my e-mail address from the Reply-To:
header), I'll try to expedite work on your problem.

For the record, there has been at least one fix (don't recall off the top
of my head) to the CancelDialAnswer method of TApdModem regarding
AutoAnswer, but I'm not sure if that will help you or not.  Also, in a few
days, there's going to be an APD FAQ on our web site and FTP site that
addresses some of the common problems that folks have{*filter*} up...if you
don't fit in any of the categories listed in there (I'm enclosing the
relevant portions below), let me know.

I hope we can get you up an running!!!!

--------------------8<-------------------------------------------
Begin FAQ text
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why am I getting an EModemBusy exception?

A: The TApdModem component raises an EModemBusy exception whenever you
   tell the component to do something (initialize the modem, dial, etc.)
   and do not let it finish that operation before attempting another one.
   For instance, the following code raises an EModemBusy exception:

      ApdModem1.Initialize;
      ApdModem1.Dial('1-719-260-9726');  {exception raised here}

   Making the call to ApdModem1.Initialize sends the modem initialization
   command to the physical modem and then begins a background task which
   will wait for an OK or ERROR response the modem.  Since the program has
   not yielded control anywhere along the way, the call to ApdModem1.Dial
   will be made well before the modem component has a chance to finish
   processing the call to Initialize.  As such, an EModemBusy exception
   will be raised.

   EModemBusy can come about from other programmer mistakes as well.  For
   instance, making a call to TApdComPort.RemoveAllTriggers will destroy
   the triggers that the modem component needs to process modem responses.
   As such, if the modem component is busy processing modem responses when
   a call to RemoveAllTriggers is made, the modem will never finish
   processing the responses and all subsequent calls to modem component
   methods will raise the EModemBusy exception.

   Another common programmer mistake is to close the TApdComPort component
   while the modem is processing commands and then reopen it later.  In
   version 1.00 of APD, this is not allowed--as long as the modem
   component's Started property is equal to TRUE, the port component
   should not be closed.

Q: Why does my program hang when I call TApdModem.WaitOnResponse or
   TApdModem.WaitOnFeatures?

A: WaitOnResponse and WaitOnFeatures are not designed to be used in an
   event-driven program.  A common mistake is to call one or both of these
   routines from inside a modem event handler (OnModemConnect, etc.).
   Since the internal APD communications dispatcher will not dispatch any
   additional communications events until all event handlers have exited
   and since the WaitOnXxxx routines rely on internal event handlers
   getting called, your program will hang if you call WaitOnXxxx from
   inside a modem event handler.
--------------------8<-------------------------------------------

Sincerely,
Bryan E. Slatner
(TurboPower Software)

--
Bryan Erik Slatner,  TurboPower Software Company

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bslatner
Fingerprint: FD 66 C9 86 7B F2 AE DB 1E 3B 81 E0 87 70 A6 9D

Read alt.religion.scientology to find out how the Church (spit!)
of Scientology is attempting to destroy your freedom to
communicate electronically and how they're trying to "clear"
the planet...one bank account at a time.

My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.



Mon, 04 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 serial communications?
X-News: levels.unisa.edu.au comp.lang.Pascal.delphi.databases:4786

Quote:

>Subject:Re: serial communications?
>Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:24:04 GMT


>>Except that auto-answer functions don't always do what they are told.

>>Hanging up is a real nuisance, sometimes leaving the computer in limbo-land
>>and the modem in the land of nod - sometimes rebooting doesn't solve the
>>problem and have to start up with pcAnyWHere to be able to use the modem
>>again.

>>I and two others have wasted thousands of dollars on not getting this aspect
>>working.

>Yikes!!! I certainly hate to hear that since I personally wrote those parts
>of the library!  Looking at your entry in our registration database, I see
>you've been talking with Terry Hughes about your problems...if you start
>contacting me directly (you have my e-mail address from the Reply-To:
>header), I'll try to expedite work on your problem.

>For the record, there has been at least one fix (don't recall off the top
>of my head) to the CancelDialAnswer method of TApdModem regarding
>AutoAnswer, but I'm not sure if that will help you or not.  Also, in a few
>days, there's going to be an APD FAQ on our web site and FTP site that
>addresses some of the common problems that folks have{*filter*} up...if you
>don't fit in any of the categories listed in there (I'm enclosing the
>relevant portions below), let me know.

>I hope we can get you up an running!!!!

 Bryan, I did speak with you several times and I told you that I would
have to get out of financial difficulty before I could address the
serious problems associated with automatic dialling and{*filter*} up and
recognising{*filter*} up.

My total loss due to the problems with your software exceed $13,000 including
salaries for staff, equipment no longer required, your software, phone calls,
lawyer fees, bank overdraft fees, ...

Then there are 50 very dissatisfied clients, another business lost over
$50,000 as a result of my not being able to get your software to work on
all machines (it worked fine on my development machines, most of the time).

It did work perfectly on one site only.

That business went bankrupt, owner,wife and children lost their family home,
I've had my life threatened twice, my lawyer has legally noted that this
guy has a {*filter*} disposition and has threatened me, I had to put rall
plugs into the{*filter*}holes in my external door because he knocked it off
its hinges.

I could go on.   The amount above does not include any time I spent which
meant loss of income of about $10,000 to my business. I lost 2 other clients
as a result.

2 of my staff left.  The 3rd is seeking other employment now.

This is why software developers have clauses that say that nothing is
their fault, buy and use the software at your own risk.

Well - this is the biggest risk I've ever taken in my life, and it cost me
about $50,000 including lost clients, lost momentum in my business, bad
name in some circles, ...

I would be bankrupt myself if friends had not lent me money instantly they
heard I was in trouble.

--
Raymond Kennington                | Act in haste and repent at leisure
                                  | Code too soon and debug forever
University of South Australia     | ....Dale and Lily (I think)
Computer and Information Science  | Knobs, knobs everywhere,
Levels                            |        just vary a knob to think!
Pooraka 5095                      | ....Metamagical Themas, Hofsta"dter
South Australia



Mon, 11 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. serial communications....

2. Timeout in serial communication

3. REQ: serial communication between 2 pc's using borland pascal for windows

4. Serial Communications interupt chaining.

5. pcl4p61.zip Personal serial communications library pascal, MarshallSoft

6. A few questions: problem with FindFirst/FindNext, serial communications and SB/SBPro access - [READ]

7. Serial communications and Parasoft MID

8. Help with serial communications PLEASE!

9. PLEASE HELP - need serial communication routine

10. Help me: Serial communication

11. A few questions: problem with FindFirst/FindNext, serial communications and SB/SBPro access

12. Borland Turbo 3 Serial Communication problem

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software