"capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB
Author Message
 "capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB

Hi everyone,

I have a database that i've just converted from an Interbase GDB into an
Access MDB (with the data pump, no errors). Everything was working fine
with the Interbase DB, but since converting it to an Access database,
there's been a few problems
as would probably be expected. The most frustrating and impassable at
the moment is that one of the queries, upon Opening, gives the error
"Capability not supported" (line: "CompList.Open" ).
There's nothing wrong with the query itself, because it opens fine at
design time, and worked fine in the Interbase database.
It's my assumption that it's something to do with another form or query
that is open at the same time. To test, at design time, i've opened all
forms, queries and tables that would be opened at that point in the
program, and then opened the problem query - with no errors.
It's damn frustrating...does anybody know what this error can mean and
what can be done about it - anything!

TIA,
Luke Bond

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 "capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB
"Capability not supported" usually means that you are trying to submit
a query that the BDE cannot convert to the target database's SQL
syntax. IOW, the database does not support the type of query operation
that you are requesting.

1. Are you using the BDE?
2. Post the SQL statement to this newsgroup.
3. Try putting the query in Access and using a Stored Procedure
component to run the query and return the results.
4. Try the Diamond Access components to bypass the BDE.

HTH,

Mike

Quote:

> Hi everyone,

> I have a database that i've just converted from an Interbase GDB into
an
> Access MDB (with the data pump, no errors). Everything was working
fine
> with the Interbase DB, but since converting it to an Access database,
> there's been a few problems
> as would probably be expected. The most frustrating and impassable at
> the moment is that one of the queries, upon Opening, gives the error
> "Capability not supported" (line: "CompList.Open" ).
> There's nothing wrong with the query itself, because it opens fine at
> design time, and worked fine in the Interbase database.
> It's my assumption that it's something to do with another form or
query
> that is open at the same time. To test, at design time, i've opened
all
> forms, queries and tables that would be opened at that point in the
> program, and then opened the problem query - with no errors.
> It's damn frustrating...does anybody know what this error can mean and
> what can be done about it - anything!

> TIA,
> Luke Bond

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 "capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB

Quote:

>I have a database that i've just converted from an Interbase GDB into an
>Access MDB (with the data pump, no errors). Everything was working fine
>with the Interbase DB, but since converting it to an Access database,
>there's been a few problems
>as would probably be expected. The most frustrating and impassable at
>the moment is that one of the queries, upon Opening, gives the error
>"Capability not supported" (line: "CompList.Open" ).
>There's nothing wrong with the query itself, because it opens fine at
>design time, and worked fine in the Interbase database.
>It's my assumption that it's something to do with another form or query
>that is open at the same time. To test, at design time, i've opened all
>forms, queries and tables that would be opened at that point in the
>program, and then opened the problem query - with no errors.
>It's damn frustrating...does anybody know what this error can mean and
>what can be done about it - anything!

This error is invariably due to the SQL statement itself, never the data.
Can you post an example of a statement that causes this error? Microsoft
Access uses quite a bit of nonstandard SQL syntax, so some forehead-simple
thing that works in every other database system may fail under Access. Also
indicate whether the TQuery.RequestLive property is set to True. This
affects whether the SQL statement is pass-through or evaluated by the SQL
(and thus requiring strict SQL-92 compliance).

Steve Koterski         "Television is a medium because anything well done
Felton, CA             is rare."
                                                 -- Fred Allen (1894-1956)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 "capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB
The SQL for the query in question is very simple:

SELECT COMPID , CONAME,
 SHORTCONAME, CITY
FROM COMPANY
ORDER BY CONAME

so i'm pretty sure it's not that - i know access is a little different,
but if it won't accept something as simple as that, then i give up...
While i'm at it, i have another more complicated query that access won't
accept. I've gone into Access itself and created the query there, and
when ran i get the error "join expression not supported". The error is
definately in the FROM clause:

SELECT EVENT.EVENTID , EVTYPE.EVDESC ,
 EVENT.BOOKID , EVENT.STDATETIME ,
 EVENT.FINDATETIME, EVENT.PAX , EVENT.ROOMS, EVENT.DAYS,
 (EVENT.QTY * EVENT.UNITPRICE)  as LOCPRICE , EVENT.EVFLAG1,
 EVRESSUMM.RESPRICE, LOCATION.SHORTLOCNAME
FROM LOCATION LEFT JOIN EVENT ON LOCATION.LOCID = EVENT.LOCID,
 EVENT, EVRESSUMM, EVTYPE
WHERE  ( EVENT.BOOKID = :BOOKID )
 and EVENT.EVTYPEID = EVTYPE.EVTYPEID
 and EVENT.EVENTID = EVRESSUMM.EVENTID
ORDER BY
 EVENT.STDATETIME, EVTYPE.LISTORDER, Event.EVENTID

thanks in advance!

Quote:

> Hi everyone,

> I have a database that i've just converted from an Interbase GDB into
an
> Access MDB (with the data pump, no errors). Everything was working
fine
> with the Interbase DB, but since converting it to an Access database,
> there's been a few problems
> as would probably be expected. The most frustrating and impassable at
> the moment is that one of the queries, upon Opening, gives the error
> "Capability not supported" (line: "CompList.Open" ).
> There's nothing wrong with the query itself, because it opens fine at
> design time, and worked fine in the Interbase database.
> It's my assumption that it's something to do with another form or
query
> that is open at the same time. To test, at design time, i've opened
all
> forms, queries and tables that would be opened at that point in the
> program, and then opened the problem query - with no errors.
> It's damn frustrating...does anybody know what this error can mean and
> what can be done about it - anything!

> TIA,
> Luke Bond

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 "capability not supported" w/MSAccess DB

Quote:

>The SQL for the query in question is very simple:

>SELECT COMPID , CONAME,
> SHORTCONAME, CITY
>FROM COMPANY
>ORDER BY CONAME

Try isolating where the problem is. For instance, try the statement in a
simpler form, such as without the ORDER BY clause. Run the statement. Does
it work? If not, the ORDER BY is the culprit. If it does work, modify
another piece.

The error occurs on calling the Open method (or setting the Active
property) of the TQuery? The error occurs for *all* queries, or just
particular ones? Access to the Access database (pun intended) is by native
BDE driver, ODBC, or ... ? What version of the Access engine/client
software is installed? Of the TQuery components inducing the error, are
their RequestLive properties set to True or False?

Quote:
>so i'm pretty sure it's not that - i know access is a little different,
>but if it won't accept something as simple as that, then i give up...
>While i'm at it, i have another more complicated query that access won't
>accept. I've gone into Access itself and created the query there, and
>when ran i get the error "join expression not supported". The error is
>definately in the FROM clause:

>SELECT EVENT.EVENTID , EVTYPE.EVDESC ,
> EVENT.BOOKID , EVENT.STDATETIME ,
> EVENT.FINDATETIME, EVENT.PAX , EVENT.ROOMS, EVENT.DAYS,
> (EVENT.QTY * EVENT.UNITPRICE)  as LOCPRICE , EVENT.EVFLAG1,
> EVRESSUMM.RESPRICE, LOCATION.SHORTLOCNAME
>FROM LOCATION LEFT JOIN EVENT ON LOCATION.LOCID = EVENT.LOCID,
> EVENT, EVRESSUMM, EVTYPE
>WHERE  ( EVENT.BOOKID = :BOOKID )
> and EVENT.EVTYPEID = EVTYPE.EVTYPEID
> and EVENT.EVENTID = EVRESSUMM.EVENTID
>ORDER BY
> EVENT.STDATETIME, EVTYPE.LISTORDER, Event.EVENTID

Ew! <grin> Mixing explicit join syntax with equi-join syntax. Have you
tried using explicit inner join syntax instead of the equi-join syntax?
Also, have you tried using "LEFT OUTER JOIN" rather than "LEFT JOIN". The
latter is more standard. And, did you mean to have the EVENT table in the
FROM clause twice, once in the outer join and once in an inner join?

  SELECT  EVENT.EVENTID, EVTYPE.EVDESC, EVENT.BOOKID, EVENT.STDATETIME,
    EVENT.FINDATETIME, EVENT.PAX, EVENT.ROOMS, EVENT.DAYS,
    (EVENT.QTY * EVENT.UNITPRICE)  AS LOCPRICE, EVENT.EVFLAG1,
    EVRESSUMM.RESPRICE, LOCATION.SHORTLOCNAME
  FROM LOCATION
    LEFT OUTER JOIN EVENT
      ON (LOCATION.LOCID = EVENT.LOCID)
    INNER JOIN EVRESSUMM
      ON (EVENT.EVENTID = EVRESSUMM.EVENTID)
    INNER JOIN EVTYPE
      ON (EVENT.EVTYPEID = EVTYPE.EVTYPEID)
  WHERE  (EVENT.BOOKID = :BOOKID)
  ORDER BY EVENT.STDATETIME, EVTYPE.LISTORDER, Event.EVENTID

Steve Koterski         "Television is a medium because anything well done
Felton, CA             is rare."
                                                 -- Fred Allen (1894-1956)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. TQuery SQL statement "Capability Not Supported"

2. String lookup with "STARTING" not supported

3. The keys "-"/"+"/"*"

4. Q: SQL Error message "Capability not supported"

5. EDBEngineError "Capability not supported" ... modlist.zip?

6. UPDATE TEXT IN SQL, BDE Return "Capability Not Support "

7. BDE 2.52: OR operator produces "Capability not supported" ?!

8. Help with D2 error msg: "Capability not supported."

9. Help! "Capability not supported." nightmare!!

10. How to solve the problem of "Capability not supported" ?

11. Capability Not supported.....why not?

12. BPW--"pop-up program support"