TDBGrid with query on "large" no. of records.
Author Message
 TDBGrid with query on "large" no. of records.

Quote:

> You really want to display 13,000 records in a TDBGrid at once?  I
> would certainly expect scrolling to the bottom of the table to take a
> while (maybe several minutes) with this number of records.  You didn't
> specify whether you are connecting with SQL Links or ODBC?

> At any rate, by scrolling to the bottom of such a large result set,
> you force the BDE to retrieve every row in the result set to the local
> machine.  It's going to take some time for the server to completely
> satisfy the query and return all the rows.  You also have to consider
> the speed of your connection to the server, the processing power of
> your workstation and the memory limitations of your machine (is your
> hard drive running during this time?).

If you are shipping 13,000 records down the wire and asking users to
scroll through them, you're not getting any good at all out of your
database system, and you're probably not winning any popularity contests
with your users or their neighbors either.

All applications need a serious search-capability, to reduce the number
of rows retrieved down to a manageable number, say less than 50 rows to
choose from.  There are a number of off-the-shelf toolkits available for
Delphi, et seq, that will provide these features without obliging you to
buy them separately.

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 TDBGrid with query on "large" no. of records.
There are a number of off-the-shelf toolkits available for

Quote:
> Delphi, et seq, that will provide these features without obliging you to
> buy them separately.

... oh, phhlphht, you knew what I meant to say.  ;-)

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. The keys "-"/"+"/"*"

2. "lock file has grown too large"

3. "Freeze" a column on TDBGrid

4. "Lock file grown too large"

5. "Lock file has gorwn to large"

6. "Q" TDBGrid cursor postion

7. Help: "Help file to large"

8. ""256 Color Mouse""

9. MSSQL 6.5 "Query Canceled"

10. Permission problem with "insert" query

11. Parameterized queries and "\" (backslash)

12. DBGrid with a SQL-query on "large" numbers of records