dBaseIII File Structure and Import Problems
Author Message
 dBaseIII File Structure and Import Problems

Hi all,

1. Can anyone supply, or tell me where to obtain, details of the
dBaseIII file structure?

2. The reason I ask this is due to a wierd problem importing a
dBaseIII file. I have to extend an old system which must remain in
DbaseIII format. I wish to operate using a windows environment
(specifically Delphi). The pillock that originally wrote the software
required a unique identifier for each record. Instead of using a long,
he chose to use a character field of length four. Each character could
be one of the 256 ASCII characters, effectively giving a number to the
base 256. All windows databases which I've tried stubbornly refuse to
maintain the uniqueness - translating many codes to the same ANSI
character, rendering the field no longer unique. As I need this field
to map into other tables, I am completely stuck. I really didn't want
to have to fart around with the dbase file - can anyone suggest a way
around this?

Thanks in anticipation

--
Neil Charlton

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
--

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dBaseIII File Structure and Import Problems

check out halcyon. for $125, you can get the total source code for the
product which will outline all dbf structures for you. take a look at
www.hom.net/~grifsolu

Gordon

Quote:
> Hi all,

> 1. Can anyone supply, or tell me where to obtain, details of the
> dBaseIII file structure?

> 2. The reason I ask this is due to a wierd problem importing a
> dBaseIII file. I have to extend an old system which must remain in
> DbaseIII format. I wish to operate using a windows environment
> (specifically Delphi). The pillock that originally wrote the software
> required a unique identifier for each record. Instead of using a long,
> he chose to use a character field of length four. Each character could
> be one of the 256 ASCII characters, effectively giving a number to the
> base 256. All windows databases which I've tried stubbornly refuse to
> maintain the uniqueness - translating many codes to the same ANSI
> character, rendering the field no longer unique. As I need this field
> to map into other tables, I am completely stuck. I really didn't want
> to have to fart around with the dbase file - can anyone suggest a way
> around this?

> Thanks in anticipation

> --
> Neil Charlton

> http://www.charlt.demon.co.uk/
> --

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. BDE replacement that works with dbaseiii+ .ndx files

2. problems importing files into interbase tables

3. PROBLEM WITH IMPORTING DBF FILES

4. Structure of File Variable (File Control Block)

5. Q: dBASEIII+ with Delphi.

6. DBaseIII and BDE

7. reading struc-info of a DBaseIII+ database

8. Newbie: Delphi and dBaseIII Tables - Hairs turning Grey!!!

9. Importing data to .dbf file

10. Importing Excel file to DBIsam

11. Importing comma delimited files

12. Ascii delimited file import into Delphi Paradox table?