What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?
Author Message
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Hi Folks,

I'm curious, there seems to be a furious amount of activity in this
delphi area.  What sort of db apps is everyone doing ?  I have to admit I
wasn't too impressed by delphi's db handling and didn't think it was
really suited to client server apps.  Is anyone doing any serious work
in that area? (and by that I mean team projects)

--
Nik Middleton - PowerBuilder Consultant for Dupont.
(540) 949 2610

Sat, 17 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:

>Hi Folks,

>I'm curious, there seems to be a furious amount of activity in this
>delphi area.  What sort of db apps is everyone doing ?  I have to admit I
>wasn't too impressed by delphi's db handling and didn't think it was
>really suited to client server apps.  Is anyone doing any serious work
>in that area? (and by that I mean team projects)

I've used Borland Pascal for Windows for several years.  I've used Turbo Pascal since version 3.  I've used Delphi for
about a week.  I hate the damn thing.  I don't know if it's because I'm not yet used to it.  I've been with Powerbulder
since November 1994.  I think I will stick with it for anything client/server and dBASE for local database work.

Jeff

Sat, 17 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:

> Hi Folks,

> I'm curious, there seems to be a furious amount of activity in this
> delphi area.  What sort of db apps is everyone doing ?  I have to admit I
> wasn't too impressed by delphi's db handling and didn't think it was
> really suited to client server apps.  Is anyone doing any serious work
> in that area? (and by that I mean team projects)

Hi,
I've been using Delphi for approx 4 months and prefer it to VB, IMHO it is alot
more powerful and flexible, and you can give an app a more professional look
without having to purchase add-ins.

One of the first things I did under Delphi was to write a simple e-mail system to
use on our Netware 3.11 network.

Our main system here is an IBM System 36 running a third party produced Banking
system.

We have the following draw-backs :-

1. The user interface is not easy or flexible.
2. Some of the area's of the System are limited.
3. Some area's within our organisation are not covered by the system and would
   cost us alot of dosh if we where to purchase them from the supplier.

Our aims are to provide users with an easier and more flexible way of accessing
the data that is stored on our main system. To enhance the area's that are lacking.
To provide additional systems to cover area's not on our main system.

What we've done so far.

1. Developed a secure menu system that only displays the options that are only
   relevant to the user logged in. i.e. we dont want a user going into a maintenance
   app who is not authorised to do so. (Delphi)
2. Provided a schedule system to upload data from the system 36 to the pc network,
   convert the data from EBCDIC to ASC, and transfer to dbase tables, on overnight
   basis. (Borland C & Clipper 5.2)
3. Provided various auditing facilities to check that the data that has been copied
   is ok. (Clipper 5.2 & Delphi)
4. Developed an account enquiry system, enabling users to view all details about an
   account including Name, Balance, Date opened, Date last used, and outstanding
   transactions. (Delphi)

Under developement.

1. A journal system to track what a user does within a particular app. i.e. Insert,
   modify, delete a record. This is for the use of both our internal and external
   auditors. (Delphi)
2. A Credit Limit system to maintain credit limits relating to accounts for all our
   branches within Europe. (Delphi)

Future projects.

1. Dealing room system.
2. Back office system.
3. Trade finance system.

To sum up, all Windows based development will be done with Delphi, and all DOS based
developement will be done using either Clipper or C (dependent upon what the
requirements are).

Regards from Ian.
                     | ~  ~ |

----------------oOOo---(__)---oOOo------------------------
| Ian - "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast !" |
|                                                        |

|                                        (London Branch) |

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?
I am a VB programer for the last 3 years.
Delphi is the next generation of OOP and Client/Server.
If you don't understand it, it means that you are not good enough!
With Delphi, skys are the limit!
There is a learning curve to switch from VB to Delphi, but once you got
the concept, they will have to shoot you to stop programing with it!
It is the future, learn it now before its too late!

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?
: delphi area.  What sort of db apps is everyone doing ?  I have to admit I

Well, let me see. I have finished a small app, which my customer
uses to track hours spent by electric designers. He can then
calculate the cost of each product line in designing. The app
shares a common "hours"-table on Netware server and works
happily.

Then I'm working on a material handling program to be
used by the electric designers. That will be used by
about 14 people on the above network. This app will be
connecting to AS/400 through ODBC... Hopefully...

A future project will be an offering calculating (dunno how
to say it otherwise..;) for the salespeople of my customers
company. That app will be used daily by about 10 people.

I like Delphi very much and although I get stuck every once in
a while I have been able to figure out (or by asking here...;)
a way to do most of the things I want.

Pax,
     Petri

<><- Petri J. Riipinen   -  T:mi Digitronics <><-
<><- Rauhantie 3 C 19    -  28400 Ulvila     <><-
<><- Finland - +358-39-5389799 / 940-5476076 <><-

Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:
>> serious work ... (and by that I mean team projects)

Would you like to justify this association. I think many of us
recreational (?) users would find this most illuminating.

Tim

Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:

>I am a VB programer for the last 3 years.
>Delphi is the next generation of OOP and Client/Server.

Now, while Delphi is a very nice product, and much better than VB, it
is _not_ the next generation of OOP or client/server.

It is more object oriented than VB, but it still has a way to go
before it is a true OO system.  But then, I don't think that is
Borland's goal.

One big limitation of most client/server "OO" systems is that whenever
you access the data stored in the database you have to do it in the
same old SQLish way.  Not OO at all, not inovative, and in general,
the same old thing.  Sure you have nifty components that make it
easier to display/edit that data, but it doesn't change the underlying
framework of how you use that data.  You aren't working with objects,
you are working with a bunch of strings, numbers, etc.

I don't say this to bring down Delphi in any way, it's great, and I
enjoy using it.  But it isn't really doing anything new, it's just
doing the same old things better.

What I am looking for is some innovation!

There are client/server systems that work with persistant "objects"
and not just data (I use a number of them).

Just my two cents worth of rambling.

ProActive Consulting, Inc.
Professional software development
(Delphi, Visual Basic, NEXTSTEP, and others...)

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:

>>> serious work ... (and by that I mean team projects)

>Would you like to justify this association. I think many of us
>recreational (?) users would find this most illuminating.

>Tim

Sorry, my original message was phrased rather badly, I was really trying
to determine if Delphi has been used to develop 'real world' applications
(as opposed to pilot evals) involving a number of developers or whether
it is still at the stage where most of the effort is on an individual
basis and where that apps developed tend to be niche or customer
specific.

--
Nik Middleton - PowerBuilder Consultant for Dupont.
(540) 949 2610
The Opinions expressed by me are my own.

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:

>Now, while Delphi is a very nice product, and much better than VB, it
>is _not_ the next generation of OOP or client/server.

>One big limitation of most client/server "OO" systems is that whenever
>you access the data stored in the database you have to do it in the
>same old SQLish way.  Not OO at all, not inovative, and in general,
>the same old thing.  Sure you have nifty components that make it

Yes!  I agree 100%!  Delphi has this nice VCL that you can extend in an
object-oriented way... a fairly solid OO language, etc.

But when you put a database in, you find yourself gaping across a rift
between the OO components, and the very traditional data interface.  The
data control are no more OO that the VB data controls, and barely more OO

years ago.

Quote:
>There are client/server systems that work with persistant "objects"
>and not just data (I use a number of them).

I wish I used them, too - instead of giving my a thin object "shell"
over a traditioanl database, how about a TRecord object that you inherit
from to define the databse schema?  Like this...

class TEmployeeRecord=class(TRecord)
        Name: String[40];
        etc.
end;

Is anyone working on such a thing for Delphi?

-Kyle

--

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:

>>class TEmployeeRecord=class(TRecord)
>>        Name: String[40];
>>        etc.
>>end;
>What I had in mind is something where you would map properties from a
>table to the ivars of an object (that inherit from a common class).
>You could then ask some controller object (or have it as part of the
>class of the object) for all instances of an object where property x =
>y.  The framework would then do what ever was necessary SQL wise to

I was sort of hoping for something where you could just create your
objects in some nice big shared virtual address space (I think
ObjectStore does this for C++ on UNIX workstation.)  SQL may or may not
come into play.  It would let you freely choose between a relational
model and a network/heirarchical model so that big {*filter*} JOINs would
happen almost instantly, by chasing pointers instead of acessing indexes.

Quote:
>get the information from the database(s) and instantiate some objects
>with all of the related ivars populated with data.  It would then
>return all of the objects in a nice array ready for use.

Your way would be nice, too!  :-]

Quote:
>Relationships would work this way also.  One of the instance vars of
>your object would be an array of some other objects (which would be
>defined in the map).  The framework would just generate the necessary
>join stuff to get the data to instantiate those objects when you
>requested them.

Yes!  Yes!

Quote:
>Would anyone else find something like this useful?  If enough people
>are interested, maybe I will allocate some time for it.  It definately
>wouldn't be an overnight thing...

Drop me a line when it's done... ;-]

-Kyle
--

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:
>I wish I used them, too - instead of giving my a thin object "shell"
>over a traditioanl database, how about a TRecord object that you inherit
>from to define the databse schema?  Like this...
>class TEmployeeRecord=class(TRecord)
>    Name: String[40];
>    etc.
>end;
>Is anyone working on such a thing for Delphi?

Well, being that I have experience in creating these things, and I
know what I want...  I am real tempted to build this myself.

[...]

Feel free to email me with any questions or comments.

ProActive Consulting, Inc.
Professional software development
(Delphi, Visual Basic, NEXTSTEP, and others...)

Wed, 21 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Subject: Re: What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?

Quote:
>One big limitation of most client/server "OO" systems is that whenever
>you access the data stored in the database you have to do it in the
>same old SQLish way.  Not OO at all, not inovative, and in general,
>the same old thing.  Sure you have nifty components that make it
>easier to display/edit that data, but it doesn't change the underlying
>framework of how you use that data.  You aren't working with objects,
>you are working with a bunch of strings, numbers, etc.

     This has to do with the IMPLEMENTATION of the objects, and NOTHING to do
with whether Delphi is OO or not.

_
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What are Y'all doing with Delphi ?
That's ok. I was in an anti-corporatist mood :-)

Tim

Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. What am I doing wrong...

2. What am I doing wrong

3. what am I doing wrong

4. What am I doing wrong?

5. What am I doing wrong?

6. TDBGrid onvalidate - what am i doing wrong

7. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong...

8. Real isn't cooperating..What am I doing wrong?

9. I am missing something and I can't run my PAS files

10. BDE doing things it shouldn't

11. TStringList - I'm doing something wrong here - HELP

12. Doing other people's homework