BDE ERROR "Bad File number"
Author Message
 BDE ERROR "Bad File number"

A While ago I developed a Multi-User Database App in delphi using
paradox 5 tables. The BDE was set up as normal with the correct alias,
network control file access etc.

The tables were stored on a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4.
The Network software is PC-NFS.

The Error "Bad File Number" appears when two users try to post at the
same time. This is a BDE Error, but what i need to know is why I am
getting this error, and what is a "file number".

I have contacted Borland and received no reply (email) and have posted
this group on a number of occasions.

My current suspicions lie with PC-NFS.

I would appreciate reply by email, Thanks in advance

Sean

Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BDE ERROR "Bad File number"

Quote:

>A While ago I developed a Multi-User Database App in Delphi using
>paradox 5 tables. The BDE was set up as normal with the correct alias,
>network control file access etc.
>The tables were stored on a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4.
>The Network software is PC-NFS.
>The Error "Bad File Number" appears when two users try to post at the
>same time. This is a BDE Error, but what i need to know is why I am
>getting this error, and what is a "file number".
>I have contacted Borland and received no reply (email) and have posted
>this group on a number of occasions.
>My current suspicions lie with PC-NFS.

Probably the network type is merely a red herring.

Check the FILES= statement in the CONFIG.SYS file on each machine.  Then check
the MAX FILE HANDLES parameter in the BDE configuration, again on each machine.

Make sure that:  (1) the MAX FILE HANDLES is about 20 less than the FILES=
amount.  Then (2) make sure that the server is set up to allow for that number
of open files (times the number of connected CPUs).

A "file number" is a file-handle... the way that a program refers to a
particular file that it has opened.  If the computer runs out of file
handles then Bad Things can happen.  The control mechanisms are a little weak
here in DOS, so this is why BDE has that limiting parameter.

/mr/

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. BDE Error "Bad file number"?????

2. The keys "-"/"+"/"*"

3. "Directory Busy" BDE error

4. BDE Setup Error "Object Not Found"

5. BDE "Out of memory" error

6. BDE Error - "Operation not Applicable"

7. BDE Error "Older version (see context)"

8. BDE Error - "not exact read/write"?

9. "Record/Key Deleted" BDE Error

10. BDE error "At beginning of table"

11. BDE "Table is Busy" error