SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC
Author Message
 SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC

Anyone have any experience with differences between implementing native
drivers for MS SQL Server 6.5 vs. the ODBC drivers?  Not just "native is
faster"; according to some tests I've done the ODBC driver is much more
efficient - by a long shot.  This is according to some tests I've written
which will be similar to what my app will do.

-Thanks

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC
Hi,

I have tried to convert an ODBC based app to a native driver one and got
stuck on the native driver not being happy with multiple cursors. This blew
the idea if the 'just changing the BDE alias' out of the water!

Shaun

Quote:

--
Shaun Cunniffe
Dubloo Software

Dubloo Software Pty Ltd
3 Yartoo Street
Hallett Cove SA  5158
Australia

Phone:    +61 8 8322 3081
Mobile:   0412 800 565 (Int'l +61 412 800 565)
Fax:      +61 8 8460 1075

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC
Shaun, thanks for your response.  Were there any performance issues with
using the ODBC driver?  My app will only be doing calls to stored procedures
and processing the result sets; therefore it was very easy for me to do a
discrete test by switching aliases and look at what SQL monitor was
reporting.  I was astonished to see that the native driver version was much
slower, producing 2600 calls vs. the ODBC version which produced about 88 or
so for the exact same code, the alias just pointing to a different alias.
Everything I've read (by Microsoft) states that there is no performance
advantage by using dblib (what the native driver calls), so I've got to
wonder why anyone uses it.  Comments?

-Todd Story

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have tried to convert an ODBC based app to a native driver one and got
> stuck on the native driver not being happy with multiple cursors. This
blew
> the idea if the 'just changing the BDE alias' out of the water!

> Shaun

> > Anyone have any experience with differences between implementing native
> > drivers for MS SQL Server 6.5 vs. the ODBC drivers?  Not just "native is
> > faster"; according to some tests I've done the ODBC driver is much more
> > efficient - by a long shot.  This is according to some tests I've
written
> > which will be similar to what my app will do.

> > -Thanks

> --
> Shaun Cunniffe
> Dubloo Software

> Dubloo Software Pty Ltd
> 3 Yartoo Street
> Hallett Cove SA  5158
> Australia

> Phone:    +61 8 8322 3081
> Mobile:   0412 800 565 (Int'l +61 412 800 565)
> Fax:      +61 8 8460 1075

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC
Theoretically both should be more or less of same speed. What distigushes
them is the amount of additional info available (and used by BDE) between
ODBC and native driver (like information on indexes, driver capabilities,
cursor types,...), where with many drivers the native version is in
advantage.
For example, when I enable "microsoft keys in sql statistics" for my SQL
Anywhere data source, all operations are much faster, because BDE gets and
uses info on indexes.

But if application is slow, the real bottleneck is application design, ie if
you use TTable with Filter on large table, it will be thousand times slower
than using TQuery with "where" filter.

--
----------------------
Regards

>Shaun, thanks for your response.  Were there any performance issues with
>using the ODBC driver?  My app will only be doing calls to stored
procedures
>and processing the result sets; therefore it was very easy for me to do a
>discrete test by switching aliases and look at what SQL monitor was
>reporting.  I was astonished to see that the native driver version was much
>slower, producing 2600 calls vs. the ODBC version which produced about 88
or
>so for the exact same code, the alias just pointing to a different alias.
>Everything I've read (by Microsoft) states that there is no performance
>advantage by using dblib (what the native driver calls), so I've got to
>wonder why anyone uses it.  Comments?

>-Todd Story

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi, 16bit Native SQL-Server 6.5 native/ ODBC drivers

2. ODBC vs. native MS SQL driver

3. MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

4. SQL Server 6.5 vs DELPHI (DBGrid)

5. DBE driver for MS Sql Server 6.5

6. Hang up when using D1 + ODBC + MS SQL Server 6.5

7. Problem with Identity field in Delphi 2, with ODBC SQL server 6.5 link

8. ODBC w/ODBCExpress vs. Native SQL /SQLLinks

9. SQL Server native driver

10. Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

11. MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

12. Server Cursors SQL Server 6.5