General Protection Fault
Author Message
 General Protection Fault

Hello to everyone reading this newsgroup.

I have a problem with a program I have recently installed at my clients
site.

Briefly the program is thus..

Several paradox tables on a Netware drive with 5 users connected and
sharing the files using my program.
The program used the BDE and aliases to locate the drives.  The program
is a card management system and looks after the general running of the
business.

The problem is this - at irregular intervals - maybe a few times per day
on any users PC - they get a "General Protection Fault in module
Card_Man at 0012:155D".  It appears to be the same address every time.
I saw this error during development a number of times and it seemed to
be when I was closing a form from what I remember.  No data is ever lost
and the program never crashes.  The users click OK and just keep on
going.

Does anyone know of this or does anyone know where I should start
looking?

Thanking you in advance - Steve

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 General Protection Fault

Quote:
>The problem is this - at irregular intervals - maybe a few times per day
>on any users PC - they get a "General Protection Fault in module
>Card_Man at 0012:155D".  It appears to be the same address every time.

In your project options, under the LINKER page, set the MAP file to
DETAILED.  Then recompile the app.  Take a look into the map file.  It
lists the starting address of each module of your app.   Find the
module that would include the address listed.  That's probably where
the problem is.

GPF's tend to come from accessing something that a) doesn't exist yet,
or b) has been released.

Quote:
>I saw this error during development a number of times and it seemed to
>be when I was closing a form from what I remember.  No data is ever lost

I haven't encountered any GPF's during development that were not a
result of my code.  If it happens there, it will happen during use.

Quote:
>and the program never crashes.  The users click OK and just keep on
>going.

But when the GPF happened, all the rest of the code in the routine did
not get executed, which can really hurt things.

Feel free to email or post the suspect routine/module for more
assistance.

Chuck Gadd
Director of Software Development, {*filter*} FX Communications.

Remove the -NOSPAM from my email address to send me e-mail.
*** I boycott businesses that send me unsolicited email adverti{*filter*}ts ***

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. General Protection Fault in Module IDAPI01.DLL at 0001:471B

2. MCI programming: LOTS of general protection faults...

3. General Protection Fault

4. Help! Get general protection fault using StringGrid

5. TQuery giving a General protection fault

6. General Protection Fault

7. MCI and TPW1.5: LOTS of general protection faults...

8. General Protection Fault ... and then what?

9. - EGPFault,"General protection fault in module WSYBDB.DLL at 0004:6D7A".

10. 'General protection fault in module IDPDX01.DLL at 0007:04FF'

11. Help: Unexplained 'General protection Fault in module xxxxx.dll'

12. General protection fault in sybase using Delphi? HELP!