Q: Are Paradox auto-increment fields safe?
Author Message
 Q: Are Paradox auto-increment fields safe?

After having heard about problems using auto-increment fields with
local Paradox tables in Delphi, I was wondering if they are completely
safe to use with delphi 2.0 and the 32 bit BDE?

I had heard that during a table rebuild that your sequence numbers
could be changed, making this field type useless for primary/foreign
key relationships.  Is this no longer a concern?

Thanks - Jim

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Are Paradox auto-increment fields safe?

Quote:
On Tuesday, May 21, 1996, Jim Hallers wrote...
> After having heard about problems using auto-increment fields with
> local Paradox tables in Delphi, I was wondering if they are completely
> safe to use with Delphi 2.0 and the 32 bit BDE?

> I had heard that during a table rebuild that your sequence numbers
> could be changed, making this field type useless for primary/foreign
> key relationships.  Is this no longer a concern?

This is true for the Paradox 5 version of TUTILITY.DLL, but I understand
that this has been fixed in the Paradox 7 TUTILITY...
--
David S. Becker
ADP Dealer Services (Plaza R&D)

(503) 402-3236

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Are Paradox auto-increment fields safe?

        There aren't any problems with them. The -old- version of
Table Repair for paradox files used to reset the autoinc field to 1.

        This doesn't happen with the one that came with pdox 7.

--
Paradox and Delphi Consultant. Member: Borland Delphi Technical Support
             Most small questions answered for free!

       Paradox Web Page: http://www.pagescape.com/fire/pdox/
          My words are my own, I don't speak for Borland.

Mon, 09 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Obtaining value of Paradox's Auto-Incremented Field Type

2. Auto increment field

3. Master-detail and auto-increment fields

4. Need help defining auto-incrementing field using TTable.Create

5. Auto Increment Fields and Master Details Relationship

6. Question about auto increment field

7. MS Access Auto incrementing Key fields

8. Delphi 2 SQL Server 6 problem with identifier (auto-increment) fields

9. Auto-increment fields - Should I Use Them?

10. How to reset auto- increment Fields

11. Auto-increment fields

12. Delphi3-auto-increment fields