TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE
Author Message
 TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE

Paradox tables include an important BDE configuration-parameter, "LOCAL
SHARE."

In modern environments, it is essential that this option be "TRUE."
Here's why ...

If LOCAL SHARE is false, Paradox does not use detailed file-locking and
sharing protocols when working against the computer's own local (C:)
drive.  It simply slaps a lock on the directory (just in case) and goes
about its business.  It also caches information in-memory and does not
worry about (nor check for) the data being changed.  It does not even
check for other BDE client programs running on the same machine.

Here's the rub ...

Sharing is always used when the drive that's being used is "on the
network" ... but what if the drive that's being used ("on the network"
to OTHER people) is on YOUR machine?  That is to say, this is a peer to
peer situation.  Well, your computer .. the host, the server .. is not
playing by the rules.  The odds of data-corruption in this case are very
nearly 100% if you are doing anything.

Simple solution ... turn the option on.  On every single computer.  And
leave it that way.

Computers today are so fast .. so humongously fast .. that the tiny
amount of time saved back when LOCAL SHARE was envisioned is long gone.
Likewise, file-sharing (once an optional-extra that required SHARE.EXE)
is also always-on.  Therefore there is no reason for this option NOT to
be true .. and boatloads of important reasons for it to be!

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 05:12:12 GMT
 TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE

Quote:

> sharing protocols when working against the computer's own local (C:)
> drive.

I believe the definition is C *and* D drives are considered local

Quote:
> It simply slaps a lock on the directory (just in case) and goes
> about its business.  It also caches information in-memory and does not
> worry about (nor check for) the data being changed.  It does not even
> check for other BDE client programs running on the same machine.

the local caching that gets done is what can really{*filter*}you over when it
fails.. pdox / the bde have a long history in that regard.. when the tables
you are touching are *real* tables (not answer, changed, list, etc) and your
changes are cached in memory, very bad things can happen when something like
the blue screen of death appears before the buffers are written back..

--

Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 06:24:50 GMT
 TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE
Actually, as far as I can tell, anything physically installed, from HD
partitions to CD's to Zip drives seem to be treated as local (I have some that
run up to H:) by the OS and BDE seems to take that as the cue. I have no
definitive proof, but I think that the advice is good anyway.

Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.*-*-*.com/
375 High Street
Rochester, MA 02770
(508) 295-7350
and
Waldweg 5
83512 Reitmehring
Germany
08071 924271
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits since
1982

Quote:

> > sharing protocols when working against the computer's own local (C:)
> > drive.

> I believe the definition is C *and* D drives are considered local

> > It simply slaps a lock on the directory (just in case) and goes
> > about its business.  It also caches information in-memory and does not
> > worry about (nor check for) the data being changed.  It does not even
> > check for other BDE client programs running on the same machine.

> the local caching that gets done is what can really{*filter*}you over when it
> fails.. pdox / the bde have a long history in that regard.. when the tables
> you are touching are *real* tables (not answer, changed, list, etc) and your
> changes are cached in memory, very bad things can happen when something like
> the blue screen of death appears before the buffers are written back..

> --

> Steve Green
> Corel CTech - Paradox
> Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> Waldorf, Maryland  USA

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 06:49:55 GMT
 TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE
For Paradox DOS v4.5 is there a "LOCAL SHARE."  setting / setup that should be used in a mixed DOS
and Win95 environment?  We use Novell Netware and Client 32 for DOS and Win95. Any specific tips?

Thanks
Randyw

Quote:

> Paradox tables include an important BDE configuration-parameter, "LOCAL
> SHARE."

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:16:44 GMT
 TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE

Quote:

> For Paradox DOS v4.5 is there a "LOCAL SHARE."  setting / setup that should be used in a mixed DOS
> and Win95 environment?

always start pdoxdos with -share as one of the switches on the command line..

--

Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:38:52 GMT
 TechTip: Understanding LOCAL SHARE
I concur with Steve; use the "-share" parameter.  Be sure that the
NUPDATE utility has been used so that Paradox for DOS properly
recognizes the network.

And ... upgrade that DOS application as soon as possible.  The
handwriting is on the wall.

Quote:

> For Paradox DOS v4.5 is there a "LOCAL SHARE."  setting / setup that should be used in a mixed DOS
> and Win95 environment?  We use Novell Netware and Client 32 for DOS and Win95. Any specific tips?

> Thanks
> Randyw

> > Paradox tables include an important BDE configuration-parameter, "LOCAL
> > SHARE."

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 02:24:38 GMT

1. LOCAL SHARE for DBase

2. Sharing data / local

3. local share BDE for paradox

4. BDE - LOCAL SHARE - True or False

5. put 'Local share = Ture' in code

6. pdoxusrs file / multi user access / local share

7. Setting LOCAL SHARE at runtime

8. HELP for setting LOCAL SHARE in BDE

9. setting LOCAL SHARE

10. Why BDECFG32 not setting LOCAL SHARE val

11. Setting Local Share in Distribution

12. LOCAL SHARED DIRECTORIES