10 million records or more !!!! Newbee
Author Message
 10 million records or more !!!! Newbee

I wonder if anybody could tell me what is the practical limit if any on the
number of records a paradox 7 table can hold ? Also , what sort of pitfalls
other than search / query  times etc. are there in using tables of this
size.

Cheers  Les

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 10 million records or more !!!! Newbee
The short answer is 2 billion [2^31]. at this size, records are
limited to one byte.
The medium answer is that a pdox table is limited to 65536 blocks. the
block size is set in bdeadmin BEFORE the table is created. for maximum
capacity, set the block size to 32768. There are a number of users who
have posted comments here about successfully using tables in the 500
mb plus range.

Your first calculation is to multiply the number of records by the
record size. If this is over 2 billion, you will have to go to
something like Interbase. If over about 100 mb, you better post more
details about your application. There's probably someone here who will
know more about your potential problems than I.

hth,
Dan

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:52:16 -0000, "Les Clayton"

Quote:

--
Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[Remove the SPAM from my e-mail address]

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 10 million records or more !!!! Newbee

Quote:

> I wonder if anybody could tell me what is the practical limit if any on the
> number of records a paradox 7 table can hold ? Also , what sort of pitfalls
> other than search / query  times etc. are there in using tables of this
> size.

There is a hard limit of 65535 physical blocks, with an integral number
of records in each.  All records are fixed-size.

Naturally, as the number of records increases, the necessity of
excellent indexes goes way up!

Paradox is a traditional ISAM file-structure much like the ones that
other database systems use.  It is very well implemented.  I have seen
extremely large databases stored with it.

If you have "10 million records," though, you are pushing the limits of
many desktop systems.  For example, MS-Access coughed up a lung with
only 7 million!  Client server solutions (such as Interbase) are
normally used with those larger volumes of data, especially when there
are several users.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Base 10/Base 2 or Base 2/Base 10 conversion

2. 20 million records

3. Delphi with millions of records?

4. DB application with millions records

5. can't read/write dbf fields with 10 decimals

6. more than 10 params with a Tquery

7. Delphi C/S and Sybase Sytem 10

8. 10 non-concurrent users, Pdox, Cached updates:

9. HELP IN SORTING 10 NUMBERS

10. ===== GraphiX-v6.10 Bugfix 2 =====

11. TStoredProc & SYBASE 10 : Object not Found