Master->Detail->Detail Query Too Slow
Author Message
 Master->Detail->Detail Query Too Slow

If I develop an app with master Detail relationship using 2(two)
ttables or TQueries it sails along.....however adding a third detail (
for example Customers -> Orders -> Items) it slows to a crawl.  Orders
table uses master proerty set to CustNo and Dataset1, while Items
table uses Master property of OrderNo in Dataset2.

It gets even slower if I try with TQueries instead (which is really
what I want in order to get some item / order Totals

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Master->Detail->Detail Query Too Slow

Quote:

>If I develop an app with master Detail relationship using 2(two)
>ttables or TQueries it sails along.....however adding a third detail (
>for example Customers -> Orders -> Items) it slows to a crawl.  Orders
>table uses master proerty set to CustNo and Dataset1, while Items
>table uses Master property of OrderNo in Dataset2.

>It gets even slower if I try with TQueries instead (which is really
>what I want in order to get some item / order Totals

Tough to say anything without seeing the query, but one thing that often
helps query speed is to select only the fields you want rather than the
easier (and lazier) *.

/js

Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Master->Detail->Detail Query Too Slow

Quote:

>Tough to say anything without seeing the query, but one thing that often
>helps query speed is to select only the fields you want rather than the
>easier (and lazier) *.
>/js

Also, don't overlook the possibility of running two queries in a row to get
the job done.  Likely as not, that's what BDE's going to do (more or less)
anyway with that query.  Look for as many alternative strategies as you can,
and never feel that you have to "do it all in one query!"

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Master->Detail->Detail Query Too Slow

Quote:

>Also, don't overlook the possibility of running two queries in a row to get
>the job done.  Likely as not, that's what BDE's going to do (more or less)
>anyway with that query.  Look for as many alternative strategies as you can,
>and never feel that you have to "do it all in one query!"

Thats exactly what I need to do....I come from a Paradox background
where I usually had to perform several queries to get at the eanswer I
want. Sometimes this involved many querys going from original.db ->
answer1-> answer2......etc., etc.   I have yet to figure out how to
query a result set in Dephi.

What I'd really like to do is query the result for some calculated
totals (Sum(fieldname), etc.)...what's the best way to do a series of
queries to get at the information you want?  (TBatchMove ??)
--
Jeff Chenoweth
Western Wood Structures, Inc.

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to speed-up Master->Detail Queries ?

2. Master - Detail - Detail queries & DBGrids

3. Delphi 2.0 -> 3.0 Master Detailed Relationships

4. Delphi>>>>>>>

5. Master-Detail : Sorting Detail?

6. Setting report variables in the detail of a ReportSmith master-detail report

7. Master-detail-detail-detial with Cascade delete

8. Master/Detail lookup - losing detail field

9. Newbie - updating Detail in master-detail

10. HELP: Master-detail form: sequence of detail records

11. Sorting detail records in a master detail relation.

12. Problem when inserting records in the detail table (master/detail relation)