Delphi vs. the other options
Author Message
 Delphi vs. the other options

I'm new to developing database applications, and I'm trying to figure out
a good development package to use.  Based on what I've been reading and
hearing, delphi seems to be getting very good reviews.

My question centers on why I should use Delphi versus something like
Visual dBASE, Visual FoxPro, Access, and/or Visual Basic to develop my
application.  What can Delphi offer that the others can't?  What
tradeoffs will I have to encounter?

This is really not a client-server application I'm trying to make, just
some local PC-based application to manage a small amount of data (a few
hundred records.)  The ability to compile to a standalone program is
important, because I would want to distribute this in the organization
without anybody tampering with the data or the program itself.

Should I use a database package with its own programming language, or
should I use something like Delphi that can handle databases?

Also, does anybody have any recommendations on a reference for "proper"
design of a database for the rank novice?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi vs. the other options

Quote:

>My question centers on why I should use Delphi versus something like
>Visual dBASE, Visual FoxPro, Access, and/or Visual Basic to develop my
>application.  What can Delphi offer that the others can't?  What
>tradeoffs will I have to encounter?

Delphi/Paradox (Borland Database Engine is included with Delphi it contains
among other databases support for Paradox. The BDE is also reditributable.)
will give you the best performance and best control over you application.
Visual Basic gives you almost as much freedom as Delphi but not at the same
performance. The visual databases are more restricted.

Quote:

>Should I use a database package with its own programming language, or
>should I use something like Delphi that can handle databases?

I would suggest that you give Delphi a try, I think you will be very satisfied with
it for your needs. If you have any beginners troubles post in these newsgroups.

Quote:
>Also, does anybody have any recommendations on a reference for "proper"
>design of a database for the rank novice?

If you are as you say a 'rank novice' the best thing to do would be to either post
a more specific question related to what you need to know or e-mail me and I
will try to help you.

Bye.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi vs. the other options
: I'm new to developing database applications, and I'm trying to figure out
: a good development package to use.  Based on what I've been reading and
: hearing, Delphi seems to be getting very good reviews.

: My question centers on why I should use Delphi versus something like
: Visual dBASE, Visual FoxPro, Access, and/or Visual Basic to develop my
: application.  What can Delphi offer that the others can't?  What
: tradeoffs will I have to encounter?

All of the packages you cited have (or will soon have) roughly compar-
able capabilities in data access. The Borland products mentioned all
include native support for a number of local and SQL table types, and
can also support numerous other table types via ODBC.

But the single biggest difference is that only one of the above products
produces a true compiled application. Only one is not an interpreted
environment. And that one is Delphi. Of those products you asked about,
only Delphi provides that speed and efficiency of a true compiled
application.

And, unlike some of the packages, Delphi is truly object-oriented, not
just object capable. That means true object-oriented programming, the
best way to program in the event-driven Windows environment. That
encompasses inheritance (although not multiple inheritance), poly-
morphism, and encapsulation.

: This is really not a client-server application I'm trying to make, just
: some local PC-based application to manage a small amount of data (a few
: hundred records.)  The ability to compile to a standalone program is
: important, because I would want to distribute this in the organization
: without anybody tampering with the data or the program itself.

All of the programs mentioned would allow you to distribute an appl-
ication such that the source code for the application is unavailable
or inaccessible to the end-user. Depending on which is used, the end-
user may or may not need the parent software package to run the appl-
ication (applies to Paradox, dBASE, and Access, but not to Delphi or
Visual Basic apps). For those that cannot produce true stand-alone
applications, a run-time version of the parent package serves as a
substitute for distribution of an application, but entails the burden
of run-time library files.

: Should I use a database package with its own programming language, or
: should I use something like Delphi that can handle databases?

This is an open-ended question, one for which you would get as many
different answers as there are developers. Which direction you
should take in this depends on a number of factors. Is speed import-
ant? Are you already intimately familiar with a particular xbase
language? Are you familiar with Pascal, or do you have the time and
patience to learn a new language? What are the redistribution req-
uirements (may vary from application to application)?

: Also, does anybody have any recommendations on a reference for "proper"
: design of a database for the rank novice?

_/ Steve Koterski               _/   The opinions expressed here are    _/

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi vs. the other options
Folks,
        I too have a few questions before I purchase Delphi. I want to
use Delphi to develop some fairly simple business apps for a network
environment, using DOS's SHARE mechanism. I'm kinda worried about
development time...   I don't want to spend months on one app.

1) Does Delphi come with ready-to-use "data controls" like VB?  I know
   Pascal well, but I don't want to spend much time reinventing the wheel...

2) Does it work like VB - is it event driven where all I have to do is
   choose the right event, insert my code and presto!?

3) Does it have bugs not fixed yet?

4) Does Borland provide object libraries with it (lists, bags, Btrees, etc)?

5) Does Borland include useful object libraries with it or am I gonna have to
   purchase additional VBX's or whatever Borland calls them?

6) Does it have more/better objects than VB?

thanks for your help.

-Fred

Mon, 26 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi vs. the other options

Quote:

>Folks,
>    I too have a few questions before I purchase Delphi. I want to
>use Delphi to develop some fairly simple business apps for a network
>environment, using DOS's SHARE mechanism. I'm kinda worried about
>development time...   I don't want to spend months on one app.

>1) Does Delphi come with ready-to-use "data controls" like VB?  I know
>   Pascal well, but I don't want to spend much time reinventing the wheel...

Yes. Many, and there is a rapidly growing third party market.

Quote:
>2) Does it work like VB - is it event driven where all I have to do is
>   choose the right event, insert my code and presto!?

Yes.

Quote:
>3) Does it have bugs not fixed yet?

Ain't no program in the world that aint got bugs that aren't fixed,
but Delphi seems darn good for a 1.0.  I'm doing a lot of development
with it now and the "bugs" I come across are all really Windows limitations.

Quote:
>4) Does Borland provide object libraries with it (lists, bags, Btrees, etc)?

Lists yes, and Pascal has Sets built in.  I don't know of a Btree type.

Quote:
>5) Does Borland include useful object libraries with it or am I gonna have to
>   purchase additional VBX's or whatever Borland calls them?

It comes with quite a bit.

Quote:
>6) Does it have more/better objects than VB?

Don't know VB so I can't really tell you that.

My experience is that the tools that Delpi comes with can do all the
functions you want, but they're not necessarily slick.  The InfoPower
tools from Woll2Woll contribute a great deal of slickness.

I don't even try to use ReportSmith. There is a 3rd party report
generator (now in beta) called QuickReports (from ftp.oslohd.no, I
believe) that has visual design, previewing, and is event driven that
works well, is MUCH more lightweight than ReportSmith, and is easier
to integrate into the look of your application.

Steve Karmesin.

Tue, 27 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Humour: Pascal vs C (and others)

2. Delphi:Paradox vs Delphi:SQL Anywhere vs Delphi:FoxPro via Apollo

3. BP 7.0 vs VB vs Delphi

4. VB vs Delphi vs C/C++

5. Delphi vs Visual Foxpro vs MS Access

6. Database Desktop (Open and Detach) option in Delphi 2.0 RunTime

7. Info: options for table repair for Delphi users

8. TTable vs TQuery vs TwwQuery vs TwwTable - SPEED

9. Delphi 5 vs Delphi 3

10. Delphi vs Delphi Client/Server

11. Delphi 1.0 vs. Delphi 3.0 16 bit question

12. Delphi 2 vs. Delphi 3