Encrypting Program with PDOX tables
Author Message
 Encrypting Program with PDOX tables

Quote:

>    The easy way to break it?  Try all 255 values to seed the generator.
> It would take only a few seconds.  You see, one of the assumptions of crypto
> is that the other guy knows your algorithm, but not your key.  If nothing
> else, he can decompile your code.

Ahh, you misunderstand, I didn't mean the key was only 1 byte long...the
key is arbitrarily long.  (i.e. a string of letters cast to a float (or
very large int...you can do the casting any way you like).  The
subsequently generated random numbers (which are probably longs)would
then be applied byte by byte
(I only chose this for simplicity, you could apply it to multiples of
bytes or even random lengths of bytes based on the current RN.  Since PR
generators are generally second order (chaotic, which pretty much means
one-way)  each byte (or chunk) would be ~random position in relation to
the one before, eliminating any kind of frequency analysis.  You could
start guessing keys but if you use say an 8 letter key, and cast it to a
long int (or even a pair of long ints) I think the security gained would
be on par with the minimal effort put forth.  Although, as I am not very
well versed in the ways of strong crypto I can not say this with any
certainty.

Also, if you guess keys, how will you tell when you've found the right
one?  (maybe a spell checker or something, but a 2^32 long is ~4
billion guesses...sounds fairly compute intensive to me.)

But, agaiin, I have little or no experience with this sort of thing so
I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone who wants points out the deficiencies
in my concepts.  (at the very least I'll learn a thing or two ;) )

Erik Reikes

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Encrypting Program with PDOX tables

Anyone know when Borland will put commit and rollback into Paradox?

Paradox has referential integrity, this is nice.

Access has transaction control, this is nice.

Neither has both.

Has anyone managed to work around this and developed some sort of DLL or library or
something to convince Paradox to handle transactions?

Thanks for any help.

--
QFS Ltd.                   Jerusalem Technology Park, Malcha

Tel: +972-2-796-726        Jerusalem  91487
Fax: +972-2-796-727        Israel

Fri, 20 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Encrypting Program with PDOX tables

Quote:
> Anyone know when Borland will put commit and rollback into Paradox?

> Paradox has referential integrity, this is nice.

> Access has transaction control, this is nice.

> Neither has both.

> Has anyone managed to work around this and developed some sort of DLL or
>  library or
> something to convince Paradox to handle transactions?

> Thanks for any help.

Move to ISQL which has both (and is upwardly portable to client/server).

--

 "Programming is mirroring the world, inside a computer"   Larry O'Brien 1991

Fri, 20 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Encrypting Program with PDOX tables

Quote:

>Anyone know when Borland will put commit and rollback into Paradox?

>Paradox has referential integrity, this is nice.

>Access has transaction control, this is nice.

>Neither has both.

>Has anyone managed to work around this and developed some sort of DLL
or library or
>something to convince Paradox to handle transactions?

>Thanks for any help.

>--
>QFS Ltd.                   Jerusalem Technology Park, Malcha

>Tel: +972-2-796-726        Jerusalem  91487
>Fax: +972-2-796-727        Israel

I think it's in th Borland new update release available for about 10 $

Sat, 21 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Encrypting Program with PDOX tables

2. BDE API encrypt pdox tables

3. Change table type Pdox 4 to Pdox 7

4. sorting pdox table via program statements

5. Password program...Encrypting .pwd files

6. ReportSmith & Encrypted (PW Protected) Paradox Tables

7. Hiding and/or encrypting Paradox Tables.

8. Encrypting tables or securing *.dbf data.

9. Encrypting a table field

10. Using native BDE and ODBC against Pdox tables

11. MODIFY/ADD FIELD TO PDOX TABLE WITH DELPHI

12. Filter a range of records in pdox table