Mac tcp-ip in VW
Author Message
 Mac tcp-ip in VW

I am interested in porting a TCP client program I developed for Unix machines
to the Mac.  Has anyone done something like this before who could point me in
the right direction?

Thanks a lot!!

SICCO TANS

Sat, 26 Apr 1997 05:20:52 GMT
 Mac tcp-ip in VW

Quote:
>I am interested in porting a TCP client program I developed for Unix machines
>to the Mac.  Has anyone done something like this before who could point me in
>the right direction?

  Do you have the Mac TCP/IP stack ? Which one ?

  A similar work has been done by our group with Windows. If you
feel like exchanging experiences would be good, join the
small-winsock group and we may discuss it there. Send

subscribe small-winsock Your Full Name

  Cheers,

Marcio

Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:51:57 GMT
 Mac tcp-ip in VW
Having the sockets library (see the APOK library of Smalltalk tools)
available on the Macintosh platform would help a lot. Unfortunately this
won't work on Macintoshes, since sockets.st won't work with MacTCP. It
works under Unix (we did some minor experiments here), and for VW 2.0 it
works under Windows (at least that is what I heard).

So I would like to rephrase your question in:
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN AND WHERE THE SOCKETS LIBRARY WILL BE AVAILABLE ON
THE MACINTOSH PLATFORM ???

(I am saying it loud, because we are looking for it quite a long time)

writes:

Quote:
>I am interested in porting a TCP client program I developed for Unix
machines
>to the Mac.  Has anyone done something like this before who could point
me in
>the right direction?

>Thanks a lot!!

>SICCO TANS

* Serge A. Demeyer

* Vrije Universiteit Brussel
* Faculty of Sciences - DINF / PROG
* Pleinlaan 2          B-1050 BRUSSELS (BELGIUM)
* Phone: (32) 2 629 34 91 / Fax: 34 95
* http://progwww.vub.ac.be/

Sat, 03 May 1997 18:48:26 GMT
 Mac tcp-ip in VW

Quote:
>DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN AND WHERE THE SOCKETS LIBRARY WILL BE AVAILABLE ON
>THE MACINTOSH PLATFORM ???

If and when there is a commercially available and supported library
that has the same API as WINSOCK/Berkeley-Unix. MacTCP has a different
API. GUSI, for example, has the right kind of API, but it isn't
supported currently. You can attempt to roll your own using DLL & C
Connect and GUSI or equivalent.
--

Thu, 08 May 1997 04:56:25 GMT
 Mac tcp-ip in VW

: DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN AND WHERE THE SOCKETS LIBRARY WILL BE AVAILABLE ON
: THE MACINTOSH PLATFORM ???

You could try to use Hypercard XCMD's for this I think. There exists XCMD's
that have an interface for MacTCP. The problem is if you can include
XCMD's in your ST enviroment. I think SmallTalk/V can to this.
--
Per Henrik Johansen

                                        http://www.nvg.unit.no/~optimus/

Mon, 12 May 1997 21:41:08 GMT

1. VW 2.5 - TCP/IP on MS Windows

2. ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?

3. TCP/IP on the Mac from VisualWorks

4. TCP/IP vs MAC address

5. TCP/IP interface for Mac Allegro CL

6. mac python and mac tcp?

7. does anyone have an example of a c++ TCP/IP client that works with labview TCP?IP server ??

8. How do I use dial up (PPP) TCP/IP port on a machine which also has TCP/IP LAN

9. TCP/IP for Smalltalk V

10. Interface Woes...Emulator/TCP/IP or GDDM?

11. TCP/IP AbtSocket connection problems

12. TCP/IP Under MVS: Assembler Interface