How to create an executable file
Author Message
 How to create an executable file

I am a beginner in Smalltalk programing,
and I am now using VisulWorks 2.52 for Win95.
Can anyone tell me how can I create an executable file (.exe) for my
program?
Thanks a lot!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to create an executable file

Quote:

> I am a beginner in Smalltalk programing,
> and I am now using VisulWorks 2.52 for Win95.
> Can anyone tell me how can I create an executable file (.exe) for my
> program?
> Thanks a lot!

Try with Runtime Builder. It is package for visual works where you can
select a set of classes to be included in your final image and it will
make an executable file.
I included the readme.txt of this product:
Hope this help

File: README.TXT

This is Runtime Packager Version 1.0.4

This is a maintenance update to Version 1.0.  All patches through
RPT10108 are
included in this release.

The following items are addressed in this maintenance release:

From Version 1.0.1:

1.  The technique for eliminating ShadowClasses prior to doing
removeEnvyDeveloper has been
fixed. ShadowClass instances can arise in several ways including the
ManagerInterface cache
and as undefined classes associated with a (sub)application. All
instances of ShadowClass will
first be changed into strings before ENVY/Developer is removed from the
image.

2.  If a deleted class was also obsolete, an error occurred during
stripping of the image. This
error is now avoided.

3.  Handling of obsolete classes has been somewhat improved overall.
Obsolete classes that
are dependents of ObjectMemory will no longer be included as kept classes
in the default
settings.  Attempts to save settings when a class had been made obsolete,
for example by
removal from the image, resulted in a walk-back.  This has been fixed by
skipping such classes.

4.  Packaging of external interfaces previously got an error when an
external interface subclass
did not have optimizationLevel specified.  This processing was changed so
that only classes with
optimizationLevel of #debug will be changed to #full.  Classes without an
optimizationLevel will
not be changed.

From Version 1.0.2:

5.  An error occurred when attempting to package external interfaces in
VisualWorks 2.0 if
class CMacroDefinition was not present in the image.  Packaging of
external interfaces is
now bypassed when CMacroDefinition is not present.

From Version 1.0.3:

6.  Classes CArray and CArrayType can be missed in the analysis of
referenced classes in
some cases.  This is especially likely when the Sybase database driver is
the only
C interface in the application.  This change adds CArray and CArrayType
to the list
of classes kept by default.

7.  Selectors with non-standard names, for example the selector #'',
caused walk-backs
in several places.  This change corrects the error in the invert
selectors phase of
scanning for references and in method wrapping during the prepare for
test phase of
application testing.

8.  In some cases, a Launcher would open during the final strip and save
image step.
This change avoids opening the Launcher when attempting to unschedule a
controller
that is not currently scheduled and no other controllers are scheduled.

From Version 1.0.4

9.  A coding error caused the final strip and save step to fail when no
error log
pathname was specified.  This error was corrected.

10. Hidden code stored in special method dictionaries would not be
visible to
Runtime Packager.  The access protocols have been changed to use more
primitive
access methods so that products using hidden code can be present in the
image
when it is packaged.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Please see the user guide for detailed instructions.

You can copy files from a Windows formatted diskette onto other platforms
by using the
following procedures:

UNIX - the exact procedure depends on the system you are using.  If you
are copying files from a
PC to a UNIX system, README.TXT and RUNTIME.ST should be copied as text
files (for CRLF
to CR conversion) while RUNTIME.LIB should be  copied as a binary file.

Macintosh - use the Apple File Exchange utility to  copy from this
diskette into a folder created to
contain these files.  Standard text translation  (including CRLF->CR
conversion) should be used
to  transfer README.TXT and RUNTIME.ST while no translation  (default
binary) should be
used to copy RUNTIME.LIB.

Once the files on this diskette are copied, you can  install Runtime
Packager according to the
normal  installation procedure.  Runtime Packager is not,  itself,
platform dependent.

If you are not using ENVY/Developer, you do not need to copy RUNTIME.LIB.

INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH INTERNET

Information about Advanced Boolean Concepts, Ltd. can be
accessed through World Wide Web at http://www.cais.com/advbool/.
Included at this site is overview information about the company
and Runtime Packager.  For current Runtime Packager patches,
see Technical Support in the home page.

Information about Runtime Packager, including patches, is
also available through anonymous ftp to site www.cais.com
in directory pub/advbool/ftp.  File README describes the
contents of information available through that source.

CONTACTING ADVANCED BOOLEAN CONCEPTS, LTD.

You can contact Advanced Boolean Concepts, Ltd in the following ways:

FAX: (703) 548-6053

Voice: (703) 548-7053

Mail:

Advanced Boolean Concepts, Ltd.
3704 Cameron Mills Road
Alexandria, VA 22305-1108 USA

If you are reporting a problem please forward the following items:

Your name
Your company
How we can reach you
The serial number from your Runtime Packager installation diskette

Which platform you are using.
Which version of Visual Works you are using.
Which version of ENVY/Developer you are using (if applicable).

Other related software information as available.

A description of the problem

The contents of the error.log file if available.

A priority:
High = all work stopped and schedules are affected
Medium = significant problem affecting your work
Low = a problem with a known work-around
Info = Suggestion for improvement or minor problem

HINTS

1.  Do not try to be too aggressive when first stripping your
application.  Start by taking as many
defaults as possible (you will probably need to set the startup class and
method though) while
making the first runtime image.  It is easier to eliminate classes once
you are sure you can
create a runable runtime application.  Deleting too many classes right
away is a common source
of difficulty.

2.  If you are having difficulty creating a runtime image, you can skip
the "scan for references"
step.   When you make any change to the set of kept or deleted classes
and then proceed
directly to the "strip and save image" step, no methods will be deleted
and only the classes you
specified as deleted will be removed from the image.  This can be useful
in identifying a specific
source of difficulty. Be sure to look for the error.log file if you are
experiencing problems in the
final stripping step or in starting the runtime image.

3.  If your stripped runtime image starts up and then shuts down
immediately without opening
any windows, look at your selection of the "Shutdown image when  last
window closes" option in
combination with what  your startup method is actually doing.  If no
windows are scheduled
when the startup method answers back to Runtime Packager, the image is
shut  down at that
time.  If you do not want this behavior either the option or your startup
method will need to be
changed.  On the other hand, this pseudo-headless behavior can
occasionally be useful
depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you do not want
windows to be opened at all,
be sure to select RuntimeQuietEmergencyNotifier as the emergency notifier
class.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to create an executable file

Quote:

> > I am a beginner in Smalltalk programing,
> > and I am now using VisulWorks 2.52 for Win95.
> > Can anyone tell me how can I create an executable file (.exe) for my
> > program?
> > Thanks a lot!

> Try with Runtime Builder. It is package for visual works where you can
> select a set of classes to be included in your final image and it will
> make an executable file.
> I included the readme.txt of this product:
> Hope this help

Thanks for mentioning Runtime Packager, but the README.TXT file included is
a little dated (if memory serves, 1.0.4 came out in 1995). For current
information see http://www.advbool.com.

One of the important changes is that the telephone number, email, and web
address have changed from those shown in the old README.TXT (don't ask --
it's a long story.) Current information is shown in the signature below. I
have attempted to contact all the users of Runtime Packager 1.0 to make
them aware of this. Just to keep the record straight, JP Morgan has
numerous licenses for the latest release of Runtime Packager and I assume
that picking up the old README.TXT was old of those things that happens by
occasionally.

--

John L. Baker

Advanced Boolean Concepts, Ltd.
3704 Cameron Mills Road
Alexandria VA 22305 USA

Phone: +1.703.548.5073
http://www.advbool.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. How to create an executable file?

2. creating executable files

3. create an executable file with sicstus

4. Make executable file from VI file

5. Can lisp file be complied into executable file?

6. Newbie Question--How do I create an executable program from VW

7. Need help on creating Executables in Visual Smalltalk Win32 3.0

8. Creating an executable

9. Is the Labview executable program can create new shotcutshortcut

10. how do I create an executable for a computer that does not have IVI drivers

11. how to create a executable of my labVIEW VI

12. Compiler to create executables for Windows