Kristen Nygaard
Author Message
 Kristen Nygaard

Quote:

> We should also note the death of Kristen Nygaard, co-developer of
> Simula, on August 10.  The first version of Simula was developed on a
> UNIVAC 1107 at the Norwegian Computing Center in the mid-1960s.  That
> version of Simula was used by Alan Kay on the UNIVAC 1108 at the
> University of Utah and was an influence in his development of
> Smalltalk.

Did Kay use the 1st version of Simula or Simula 67?

JKA

--
As near as I can tell, the U.S. is the only government
in history for which distrust of government is a central

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:25:56 GMT
 Kristen Nygaard

Quote:

> Did Kay use the 1st version of Simula or Simula 67?

> JKA

The first commercial version of UNIVAC 1100 Series SIMULA67 was
released in March 1971. I don't know if it was ever used at the
University of Utah.  I would guess that Kay used the first version.

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:39:55 GMT