Smalltalk Geographic Visualization and Query (GIS)?
Author Message
 Smalltalk Geographic Visualization and Query (GIS)?

Has anybody heard or seen postings on this net about Smalltalk (ParcPlace) frameworks for geographic
visualization and query?

We have an application where we need to display and query the spatial relationships between objects.
Our data can have absolute or relative coordinates or address information.  We would like to view these
objects on a map or other spatial background, (i.e. floorplan, network, etc.), and be able to touch and
query them.  We are not interested in using a full fledged Geographic Information System, since we have
invested a fair amount into (ParcPlace) Smalltalk. Example spatial/attribute queries include:

1. Get all objects of a certain class within a polygon?
2. Get all objects that satisfy certain attribute criteria within a polygon? 3. Thematic classification of spatial
data based on attribute value ranges? 4. Get all objects within a specified distance of a selected object?

We have deployed our applications on a variety of platforms, and would prefer Smalltalk frameworks
that transparently port to Windows, Unix, etc.  The application has to function in a multiuser, client/server
environment with thousands to tens of thousands of objects.

Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:20:04 GMT
 Smalltalk Geographic Visualization and Query (GIS)?

Quote:

>Has anybody heard or seen postings on this net about Smalltalk (ParcPlace) frameworks for
>geographic visualization and query?

Someone asked this here a month ago or so.

There is a package for VisualWorks. Check the Comp.lang.smalltalk archives or
the Smalltalk store, or ParcPlace. Or wait for someone with more information
to post!

Intel/Personal Conferencing Division
(503) 264-9309 FAX: (503) 263-3375

"What I envision may be impossible, but it isn't impractical."
-Wendell Berry

Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:32:48 GMT
 Smalltalk Geographic Visualization and Query (GIS)?

Quote:
>Has anybody heard or seen postings on this net about Smalltalk (ParcPlace) frameworks for geographic
>visualization and query?

I believe there is a company called debis SystemHaus in Hamburg that

Ther is also a workbench for computational geometry (which I worked on
for My Master's thesis) in the st.cs.uiuc.edu that might be useful to
you. It certainly isn't a complete geographic framework, but has some
nifty algorithms. It's writeten for V/Mac 1.2, but the algorithmci
code should port easily.

--
 Alan Knight                | The Object People

 +1 613 225 8812            | Ottawa, Canada, K2C 3N2

Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:47:40 GMT
 Smalltalk Geographic Visualization and Query (GIS)?

Quote:

>Has anybody heard or seen postings on this net about Smalltalk (ParcPlace) frameworks for geographic
>visualization and query?

You want SpatialWorks, from Object/FX in St Paul MN.  Try

I saw it and it does all the things you want.  I don't know
how large it scales, but they were working with some reasonable
datasets, so it might work for you.

I got their address from the Smalltalk Resource Guide, BTW, which anyone

or 415-621-4245.  The price isn't in the latest version of the book,
but I think it was around $40.

-Ralph Johnson

Wed, 25 Jun 1997 02:14:43 GMT
 Smalltalk Geographic Visualization and Query (GIS)?
There is a company called ArtInApples from Bratislava, Slowakia.
They also sell ArtBase, a cheap OO database system. They had an
implementation in PP Smalltalk for GIS applications.

Rob Vens
Sepher Software

--
Rob Vens                     Sepher Software

Fax: +31 5950 5283           Voice: +31 5950 5025

Fri, 27 Jun 1997 03:44:29 GMT

1. Smalltalk & GIS

2. look for GIS system in Smalltalk

3. look for GIS system in smalltalk

4. looking for GIS system in smalltalk

5. looking for GIS system in smalltalk

6. Seminar On Object/FX GIS Smalltalk Application Framework May 24

7. Visualization of Smalltalk Execution

8. MySQL query in PHP: Not query zero amounts also removes null amounts from query

9. Geographic Frameworks

10. Geographic Distribution of Ada Papers

11. questions on queries and indexes in Smalltalk

12. can Smalltalk handle generic queries