Java really *is* the next version of Visual Basic
Author Message
 Java really *is* the next version of Visual Basic

Quote:

> > Actually, let's not lose the historic perspective here. Visual Basic.NET
> and
> > C# are like Java, not the other way around. It was Sun that came with
the
> > idea of JVM and Microsoft that extened that to CLR.

What a lot of gobbledeygook trash.

Virtual machine technology for languages came out of a variety of languages
in the 60's.

The Java notions of a virtual machine with an SI OO model were taken
directly from Smalltalk [which has always been a VM based language for the
last 30 years and which originally was also an operating system on the Xerox
Dorado hardware].

And, Sun's touted HotSpot technology was actually the Animorphic hotspot VM
developed for Smalltalk. Where the original adaptive compilation technology
for HotSpot systems was researched for SELF, which was derived from
Smalltalk by Dave Ungar, et al.

You should read the actual history of evolution of Java by its own
authors...

Microsoft has had and used virtual machine technology for since the early
80's. Many of their applications were originally built using a p-code based
system to enable them to have portability and fit within small memory
models.

--
-- Dave S. [ http://www.*-*-*.com/ ]

Quote:

> Hmm, I was using a VM with PowerBuilder long before Java.
> They just didn't call it that at the time. It was the PB "deployment kit".
> Now they call it a virtual machine.

> http://www.*-*-*.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:23:10 GMT
 Java really *is* the next version of Visual Basic
Funny enough, VB originally came with a VM - "VB Runtime". It (VB) had
really gained popularity when it become able to generate native executable
files.

Quote:

> Microsoft has had and used virtual machine technology for since the early
> 80's. Many of their applications were originally built using a p-code
based
> system to enable them to have portability and fit within small memory
> models.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:57:41 GMT

1. Eiffel,the next Visual Basic

2. Looking for Senior Engineer with Smalltalk , C++, Java and Visual Basic Knowledge

3. Atlanta job - Clipper + Visual Basic/Java

4. Delhi, Java or Visual Basic

5. Visual BASIC to Java Compiler -- will probably work with VRML

6. Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++

7. Please help Visual Basic Programer with simple read/write text file routine---Real Basic 2.1

8. Visual basic or real basic?

9. Switching to Real Basic from Visual Basic?

10. BASIC, VISUAL BASIC, C++, DELPHI SOFTWARE FRO CHEAP PRICE

11. Visual dBase vs. Visual Basic

12. visual basic versus visual c++