Sockets with LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock
Author Message
 Sockets with LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock

I wrote some simple sockets classes with access to port 21 (ftp) and port
25 (SMNTP). In an environment with DOS/WfW 3.11, WIN32S 1.25 and TCP/IP-
Stack from PC/TCP 2.31 everything works fine.

In an environment with DOS/Win 3.11, WIN32S 1.25 and TCP/IP-Stack from
Novell's LAN Workplace 4.1 with MS-Winsock, I've got a win32s-error
followed by a VW-Crash.

Some debugging told me, that already the following inspect will get this
win32s-error:

  | socket connection stream |
  socket:= SocketAccessor
     newTCPclientToHost:'some.tcpip.host'
     port: 21.

General question:

- Should it be generally possible to get a VW2.0-sockets connection with Novell's
  LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock? Anyone out there had the same problem or an
  idea for a solution ?

Thanks for your help - Toni

-----
Anton Zimmermann, Systemprogrammer
Swiss Federal Office of Information Technology and Systems

Voice : +41/31/325-9724; Fax:    +41/31/325-9767
Mail  : Steigerhubelstr. 3, CH-3003 Berne, Switzerland

Tue, 21 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sockets with LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock

 | socket connection stream |
  socket:= SocketAccessor
     newTCPclientToHost:'some.tcpip.host'
     port: 21.

        ^^^^^

If Lan workplace is anything like UNIX this is your problem.
On a UNIX box you need to be root to open a socket with # < 1024
as this is where all the trusted ( yeh ha!) services are meant to go.

try another number and see what you get.

Fri, 24 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sockets with LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock

Quote:

>I wrote some simple sockets classes with access to port 21 (ftp) and port
>25 (SMNTP). In an environment with DOS/WfW 3.11, WIN32S 1.25 and TCP/IP-
>Stack from PC/TCP 2.31 everything works fine.
>In an environment with DOS/Win 3.11, WIN32S 1.25 and TCP/IP-Stack from
>Novell's LAN Workplace 4.1 with MS-Winsock, I've got a win32s-error
>followed by a VW-Crash.
>Some debugging told me, that already the following inspect will get this
>win32s-error:
>  | socket connection stream |
>  socket:= SocketAccessor
>     newTCPclientToHost:'some.tcpip.host'
>     port: 21.
>General question:
>- Should it be generally possible to get a VW2.0-sockets connection with Novell's
>  LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock? Anyone out there had the same problem or an
>  idea for a solution ?
>Thanks for your help - Toni

Make sure you have Novell's patched TCPIP stack. It should be on their
ftp site...

-- Niranjan

Fri, 24 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sockets with LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock

Quote:

>  | socket connection stream |
>   socket:= SocketAccessor
>      newTCPclientToHost:'some.tcpip.host'
>      port: 21.

>         ^^^^^

> If Lan workplace is anything like UNIX this is your problem.
> On a UNIX box you need to be root to open a socket with # < 1024
> as this is where all the trusted ( yeh ha!) services are meant to go.

> try another number and see what you get.

No, opening a client to such a reserved port is perfectly ok.
How else are FTP, SMTP et al to work at all ?
I suspect that LAN Workplace or MS-Winsock is at fault, maybe
there's even some interference with win32s 1.25.
Try 1.30 for a start.

Hans-Martin

--
+--- Hans-Martin Mosner -------- Senior Smalltalk Guru ---+
| These opinions are entirely ficticious.  Any similarity |

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sockets with LAN Workplace 4.1 and MS-Winsock
Hi Toni
Try to upgrade to Win32s rev.1.30. and upgrade Lan WP(you can download the
upgrades from MS and Novell ftp)
I was able to use tcp sockets in the Win3.11, Lan Workplace 4.2 OK.
But I never was able to create an UDP socket.
Any Idea why ?

Mark PIrogovsky

Sun, 26 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Anyone using Lan Workplace and/or Symbol terminals?

2. Novell LAN Workplace, 1010 errors

3. stream sockets in lispworks professional 4.1

4. ObjectWorks 4.1 in MS-Win: Dos app kills ObjectWorks

5. MS Fortran 4.1 & .obj

6. MS Fortran 4.1

7. MS Fortran 4.1 & .obj files

8. Visual C++ 4.1 and MS Fortran PowerStation 4.0

9. Price for Objectworks 4.1 for MS windows?

10. Winsock Socket access from a COBOL program.

11. WinSock support for ObjectWorks/MS-Windows

12. LAN or NOT LAN