Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!
Author Message
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!

I'm looking for classes that parse RTF into something reasonable in say, a
ComposedText window.  Anybody got 'em or know where I can get them.
ParcPlace classes preferably (I don't envy the task of converting V view
classes to PPS :0

-Chris
Chris Carpenter                            |     We learn from history

Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:34:42 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!

|> I'm looking for classes that parse RTF into something reasonable in say, a
|> ComposedText window.  Anybody got 'em or know where I can get them.
|> ParcPlace classes preferably (I don't envy the task of converting V view
|> classes to PPS :0
|>
|> -Chris

Chris, if you cannot find such an object(s) then I would suggest going to
to the UIUC Smalltalk archive to obtain a parser generater called TGEN.
I believe it was originally available for a version of ParcPlace Smalltalk,
the version I have was adapted to Digitalk's V/Win 2.0 .  I haven't had a
chance to use it, but the documentation is good.  The biggest difficulty
will be in getting documentation on the RTF format ( perhaps available from
the Microsoft FTP site ? ).

Location of TGEN:

        site: st.cs.uiuc.edu ( anonymous FTP )
         dir: pub/st80_r4/T-gen2.0

Good Luck !

"The plan is easy- programmer by day, graduate student by night, with
 a sensible vacation on weekends"

Thu, 13 Feb 1997 00:07:52 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!

exit
I would also be interested in such classes, for the purposes of licensing them
for reuse within my consulting practice at IBM.  I would prefer the RTF model
classes be Smalltalk vendor independent, but beyond that the views can be for
any dialect.
--
Sam S. Adams, Senior Architect, Object Technology Practice, IBM Consulting Gr

CompuServe: 76450.177

Thu, 13 Feb 1997 03:22:53 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!
We have Tgen and are using it successfully on other projects.
We have the current RTF formats.  What we don't have is the time to write
the parse engine and create the necessary view objects...

-Chris
--

Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:05:58 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!

Quote:

> <...>
> chance to use it, but the documentation is good.  The biggest difficulty
> will be in getting documentation on the RTF format ( perhaps available from
> the Microsoft FTP site ? ).
> <...>

Call Microsoft Word product/technical support, and ask. I had no trouble at
all.

As long as we're there, anybody interested in SGML? I wonder if there's a
market
for a VisAge component that handles RTF/SGML (and any other such format).

Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:44:30 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!

Quote:
>As long as we're there, anybody interested in SGML?

We are very intrigued with SGML as a way of factoring on-demand on-line
documentation for our class frameworks. We are looking into the Frame->SGML
filter from Dyna. Has anyone tried it??

Regards,

Dave

**************************************
"I'm sure it's a bug in our software,
    but let's explore some other possibilities..."

David Buell
VP, Product Engineering
(aka SmalltalkAgents Customer Advocate)
Quasar Knowledge Systems (QKS)
9818 Parkwood Drive, Bethesda, MD 20814

Tel: (301) 530-4853 Fax: (301) 530-5712
**************************************

Fri, 14 Feb 1997 23:08:11 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!

As long as we're there, anybody interested in SGML? I wonder if there's a

market

for a VisAge component that handles RTF/SGML (and any other such format).

Yes, there is interest.  Anyone having such a framework/component is
encouraged to contact me.  The Object Technology Practice in IBM Consulting
is very interested in licensing components of this nature for reuse within
our consulting engagements.
--
Sam S. Adams, Senior Architect, Object Technology Practice, IBM Consulting Gr

CompuServe: 76450.177

Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:44:24 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!
: We have Tgen and are using it successfully on other projects.
: We have the current RTF formats.  What we don't have is the time to write
: the parse engine and create the necessary view objects...

The Smalltalk code documenter from Synopsis Software has an RTFReader
class inside of it. The standard product does not include source
to the RTF reader or writer classes, but I bet if enough
people wrote the author he'd unbundle the RTF classes as a separate
product.

Contact:
  Synopsis Software
  8609 Wellsley Way
  Raleigh, NC 27613
  919-847-2221

The product is 'Synopsis for Smalltalk/V'; tell them you
would like source to the RTFReader classes.

Regards,

Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:59:22 GMT
 Need Objects that Parse RTF files!!!
sAM ET AL,
Greetings. Xerox (XSIS) has a toolset called "Analyst" supported
by  a rich set of classes. These are pure Smalltalk-80. The
XSIS-TextConverters category supports conversion to RTF. The classes
have been around for a while. A good contact is:
Craig Smith - (818) 351-4413.
Regards,
MadhU Raman

Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:35:34 GMT

1. RTF File Writer ( Was : RTF )

2. advice needed on processing rtf files

3. parsing rtf code

4. need help in parsing a file with wierd format

5. awk newbie needs to parse xml file

6. How to convert WMF files to RTF files?

7. newbie needs a little help parsing a comma delimited file

8. Need help parsing an ascii file with tcl

9. Turning a file-like object into a true file object

10. Need .rtf help

11. RTF Display VBX / OCX needed 16 bit

12. I need Reports in RTF-format