Question.
Author Message
 Question.

How do you create a drive combo box and a hierarchical list of system
folders, in a GUI, so that a user can select a drive and folder for saving
output.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

J.Haston

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:46:22 GMT
 Question.
Thanks. I am using VW 5i.1 on the Windows 95 operating system.

P.S. In future I will try to be more specific.

Quote:

> > How do you create a drive combo box and a hierarchical list of system
> > folders, in a GUI, so that a user can select a drive and folder for
saving
> > output.

> > Your advice will be much appreciated.

> > J.Haston

> We'll need to know which Smalltalk version and which OS you are using.

> -

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:59:46 GMT
 Question.

Quote:

> Thanks. I am using VW 5i.1 on the Windows 95 operating system.

> > > How do you create a drive combo box and a hierarchical list of system
> > > folders, in a GUI, so that a user can select a drive and folder for
> saving
> > > output.

Load the parcel named 'FileSelectionDialog'

then you can do something like:

        |str|
        str := Dialog selectDirectory.
        str isNil ifFalse: [ |fn|
                fn := str asFilename contruct: 'savedwork.xyz'.
                "do the save ..."
        ]

Why this thing returns Strings rather than Filenames is beyond me...

HTH,

Reinout
-------

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:30:17 GMT
 Question.
Thanks for your help Reinout, that fine.

Best regards,
Jonathan Haston

Quote:

> > Thanks. I am using VW 5i.1 on the Windows 95 operating system.

> > saving

> Load the parcel named 'FileSelectionDialog'

> then you can do something like:

> |str|
> str := Dialog selectDirectory.
> str isNil ifFalse: [ |fn|
> fn := str asFilename contruct: 'savedwork.xyz'.
> "do the save ..."
> ]

> Why this thing returns Strings rather than Filenames is beyond me...

> HTH,

> Reinout
> -------

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:30:46 GMT

1. Questions-Questions-Questions-Answers-Answers

2. Question(Questions, questions...)

3. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

4. Questions Questions

5. Questions and more questions...

6. Browse Question / Report question

7. ***Data buffering question. Long post, lots of questions

8. questions, questions!

9. Questions, questions!

10. MicroWorlds Pro "QUESTION Set Size" question

11. OS/2 REXX Question (Object REXX Question Inside)

12. Doc question and Mount question