Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page
Author Message
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Maybe some Smalltalker has a more intuitive solution.  Whats the best way of
printing the odd/even pages of a PDF document?

Ian

                  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>Maybe some Smalltalker has a more intuitive solution.  Whats the best way of
>printing the odd/even pages of a PDF document?

>Ian

>                  http://www.peacesummit.com/ian/home.html

Please tell me as well !!!

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - the cheapest way to VA in the known universe!

http://www.lamplight.co.uk
Lamplight Software - An IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>Maybe some Smalltalker has a more intuitive solution.  Whats the best way of
>printing the odd/even pages of a PDF document?

>Ian

The easiest way is not to use OS/2.  Adobe Acrobat refuses to do it under OS/2.
It works, however, using Adobe Acrobat for Windows NT.  Basically, the problem
is that IBM quit using their book format and went to the Adobe Acrobat paradigm.

This was one of the unwelcome changes in the latest upgrade.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>The easiest way is not to use OS/2.  Adobe Acrobat refuses to do it under OS/2.
>It works, however, using Adobe Acrobat for Windows NT.  Basically, the problem
>is that IBM quit using their book format and went to the Adobe Acrobat paradigm.

>This was one of the unwelcome changes in the latest upgrade.

I found it a welcome change, going with an industry standard. The VAST
books print fine on my Mac in duplex to my duplex printer, and under
Windows/95.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
Any opinions or recommendations are those
of the author and not of his employer.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>>The easiest way is not to use OS/2.  Adobe Acrobat refuses to do it under OS/2.
>>It works, however, using Adobe Acrobat for Windows NT.  Basically, the problem
>>is that IBM quit using their book format and went to the Adobe Acrobat paradigm.

>>This was one of the unwelcome changes in the latest upgrade.

>I found it a welcome change, going with an industry standard. The VAST
>books print fine on my Mac in duplex to my duplex printer, and under
>Windows/95.

>Dave

>David N. Smith
>IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

>Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
>Any opinions or recommendations are those
>of the author and not of his employer.

When using a Mac to print Quark Xpress, for instance, you tend to get
a 'print even numbers' or 'print odd numbers' option in the printer
dialog which lets you print double sided on a non-duplex printer. From
what I can see, Acrobat does not allow this, so you either get single
sided output or the bill for a duplex printer :-(

This is a little academic I think, given the $50 that IBM charge for a
set of real manuals.

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - the cheapest way to VA in the known universe!

http://www.lamplight.co.uk
Lamplight Software - An IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

> ... From
> what I can see, Acrobat does not allow this, so you either get single
> sided output or the bill for a duplex printer :-(

> This is a little academic I think, given the $50 that IBM charge for a
> set of real manuals.

... AFAIK IBM does NOT sell all the manuals in printed form, only some
of them.

Thomas Heller
ION-TOF GmbH

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

> > This is a little academic I think, given the $50 that IBM charge for a
> > set of real manuals.
> ... AFAIK IBM does NOT sell all the manuals in printed form, only some
> of them.

It is a pretty decent sized doc set though and still a bargain at $50. A
comparable set of books with a similar "heft" would cost you >$150 in a
regular book store.

-Eric Clayberg
President
Smalltalk Systems (StS), a division of Instantiations, Inc.

   Web: http://www.smalltalksystems.com
        http://www.instantiations.com

GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>> > This is a little academic I think, given the $50 that IBM charge for a
>> > set of real manuals.

Are the new 4.02 manuals already printed and ready to go?  I wonder if you
were off in Australia or something how long they'd take to arrive.

Ian

                  http://www.peacesummit.com/ian/home.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>Are the new 4.02 manuals already printed and ready to go?  I wonder if you
>were off in Australia or something how long they'd take to arrive.

>Ian

>                  http://www.peacesummit.com/ian/home.html

Not seen or heard of any 4.0.2 manuals yet. I will enquire.

The manuals we ordered here in the UK (4.0) took about a week to come.

The local IBM should supply them - not US IBM.

I was remiss in mentioning (as Thomas did, that IBM do not actually
sell all of the manuals that they supply on the CD. The $50 (in the
US) provides:

Getting Started
VisualASge for Smalltalk User Guide
IBM Smalltalk User Guide
IBM Smalltalk Porgrammer's reference
Parts for Fun and Profit.

Still, as Eric says, not bad value for $50.

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - the cheapest way to VA in the known universe!

http://www.lamplight.co.uk
Lamplight Software - An IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>Not seen or heard of any 4.0.2 manuals yet.

There are some new and updated ones on the CD.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
Any opinions or recommendations are those
of the author and not of his employer.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing PDF documentation on both sides of the page

Quote:

>>Not seen or heard of any 4.0.2 manuals yet.

>There are some new and updated ones on the CD.

>Dave

>David N. Smith
>IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

>Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
>Any opinions or recommendations are those
>of the author and not of his employer.

Sorry, I meant printed ones!

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - the cheapest way to VA in the known universe!

http://www.lamplight.co.uk
Lamplight Software - An IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Printing group footers side-by-side

2. Server Side PDF generation - ready!

3. Server-side PDF creation and folder management

4. Page by page printing in VWIN?

5. How to print from page to page?

6. How to print from page to page?

7. How do you stop a page form printing on certain pages

8. Printing an JAVA page w/ page breaks?

9. on PDF files as documentation

10. IBM rexx documentation only PDF format

11. Ruby documentation in pdf-format

12. Does anyone have GNAT documentation in pdf-format?