Tool-Material-Metaphor
Author Message
 Tool-Material-Metaphor

(Maybe a followup to:     'What language does what I need?'
 because reflecting capabilities are often used to build development
environments.)

Following the Tool-Material-Metaphor it would be wise to seperate
a) the development environment and
b) the application under development
into TWO different images.

Then the tool (the development environment (a))
would only manipulate the material (the application (b)), but not itself
(a).

There would be some advantages:
1) there is no unneccesary code in the resulting application (stripping
isn't fun)
2) the development image (e.g. de{*filter*}) is not effected by faulty
changes
    of elementary classes in the application image
3) the two images may be running on different versions of Smalltalk,
even in different languages
4) the code of the development environment can be better hidden (all
class and message names scrampled)

Are there development environment that follow this metaphor yet?
What would be the best way to connect the two images in VisualWorks or
in other ST dialects?

--
Michael Huebner

Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tool-Material-Metaphor
[..]
Quote:
> Are there development environment that follow this metaphor yet?
> What would be the best way to connect the two images in VisualWorks or
> in other ST dialects?

Some time ago ( when Objectshare still was PPD) I attended a
presentation about their product vision. There they presented exactly
this idea under the name "Firewall".
The idea was not to edit an image any longer instead construct a
declarative definition of the program. With this approach should no
stripping be required and the process of making an deployment image was
supposed to be reproducible from source code.

But at this time PPD also planned to merge VisualWorks and
VisualSmalltalkEnterprise under the code name "Jigsaw", so who knows
what happened to it ..
Would be interesting to know if there is something left of these
"Firewall" ideas.

Any comments from Objectshare would be appreciated.

Marco
--

sd&m   GmbH & Co. KG            http://www.sdm.de
software design & management

Mon, 25 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tool-Material-Metaphor

Quote:

> [..]
> > Are there development environment that follow this metaphor yet?
> > What would be the best way to connect the two images in VisualWorks or
> > in other ST dialects?
> Some time ago ( when Objectshare still was PPD) I attended a
> presentation about their product vision. There they presented exactly
> this idea under the name "Firewall".
> The idea was not to edit an image any longer instead construct a
> declarative definition of the program. With this approach should no
> stripping be required and the process of making an deployment image was
> supposed to be reproducible from source code.

> But at this time PPD also planned to merge VisualWorks and
> VisualSmalltalkEnterprise under the code name "Jigsaw", so who knows
> what happened to it ..
> Would be interesting to know if there is something left of these
> "Firewall" ideas.

> Any comments from Objectshare would be appreciated.

> Marco
> --

> sd&m   GmbH & Co. KG            http://www.sdm.de
> software design & management
> Thomas-Dehler-Str. 27, 81737 Muenchen, Germany
> Tel +49 89 63812-473  Fax -150

  This sounds very much like Modular Smalltalk.  I'd be willing to bet you saw
this presentation AFTER Digitalk was aquired by PPD.  Modular Smalltalk was
described in an OOPSLA article about a decade ago, and apparently implemented
for someone's PhD about 5 years ago.  The dissertation was on the web, so you
might still be able to find it and references to the Tech Reports which also
described it, if not the Tech reports themselves.

( REF: "An Overview of Modular Smalltalk", by Allen Wirfs-Brock and Brian Wilkerson,
presented at OOPSLA 88. - Brian was at Tektronix at the time, and as I recall you
might be able to get the Tech Reports from Tektronix's web site.

The dissertation was by Wade Holst, at the University of Alberta in Canada,
which is probably www.ualberta.ca . )

les

Mon, 25 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tool-Material-Metaphor

Quote:

>   This sounds very much like Modular Smalltalk.  I'd be willing to bet you saw
> this presentation AFTER Digitalk was aquired by PPD.  Modular Smalltalk was

Yes, it was sometime in the last two years.

Quote:
> described in an OOPSLA article about a decade ago, and apparently implemented
> for someone's PhD about 5 years ago.  The dissertation was on the web, so you
> might still be able to find it and references to the Tech Reports which also
> described it, if not the Tech reports themselves.

> ( REF: "An Overview of Modular Smalltalk", by Allen Wirfs-Brock and Brian Wilkerson,
> presented at OOPSLA 88. - Brian was at Tektronix at the time, and as I recall you
> might be able to get the Tech Reports from Tektronix's web site.

> The dissertation was by Wade Holst, at the University of Alberta in Canada,
> which is probably www.ualberta.ca . )

I didn't want to give the impression that it was an invention of PPD.
But I liked the idea that they are going to put this into VisualWorks.

MArco
--

sd&m   GmbH & Co. KG            http://www.sdm.de
software design & management
Thomas-Dehler-Str. 27, 81737 Muenchen, Germany
Tel +49 89 63812-473  Fax -150

Tue, 26 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tool-Material-Metaphor
While I think you idea is a good expresion of what is needed,
I don't think the "two images" approach is the best way to go.

If you want two different images, you can have them : just
build two different images. What you really want, is to
modify one image through the other. But you only need
to strip your image, so why don't you use a project browser,
that knows which classes you did modify, which methods,
and stores all modifications in a fileout.

Then the fileout is read by a clean image and a new exe
is generated. That can be automatic. It would be the same
as when a C++ programmer compiles its program.

Quote:

--
Smalltalk makes sense.

Tue, 26 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Design by Metaphor

2. what is the best metaphor for this?

3. Looking for Killer Metaphor

4. Mixed Metaphors (Was: Are Forth Chips RISCs?)

5. Metaphor Revisited

6. LOGO-L> Spatial metaphor for Superturtle

7. Programming Metaphors

8. Oberon windows metaphor shift.

9. metaphor and programming

10. Great metaphor

11. L4: Lifestreams, Living Metaphor, Linda on the Web, LISP

12. replacing the desktop metaphor