Stored procedures and functions???
Author Message
 Stored procedures and functions???

Hi there,

I'm facing a big trouble with stored procedures for Oracle 7.3

A very large application I'm maintaining falls over very often due to a
call to a stored procedure that gives back bad memory buffers.

Trying to solve the problem (too bad we don't have the means to work on
the stored procedure, but only to see the sources) we tried simulate the
single steps of the procedure in VA, running the single SQL Functions
that makes it up.

Here the problem arises, it seems that there is no way to make VA
execute and read the values of a SQL Stored Function, but just
procedures.

Does anybody have any experience about that?

Thanks in advance for your help

Alfredo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Stored procedures and functions???
Alfredo,

Quote:
>A very large application I'm maintaining falls over very often due to a
>call to a stored procedure that gives back bad memory buffers.

There are two bugs in VA when calling Stored Procedures. One is for Oracle DATE
data types and the other is for NUMBER types. If you are sending in a value of
nil (wanting it to be NULL), VA improperly resets the value to 0 (in both cases)
AND says the length is 0. Basically, it just screws up the "External" memory,
and it blows chow when the call is made.

To get around this, for dates we want NULL, we actually pass the very NOT Null
value of January, 1, 1. We then trap that on the inside of the stored procedure
and retranslate it to NULL. For NUMBERS, we are lucky enough that all of the
ones which are not allowed to be just 0, are also not allowed to be -1. So we
pass in -1, and then translate that to NULL.

The Date hack will probably work for 99.49% of all applications, the Number hack
is much less effective.

Having IBM fix this would be nice, but our project was on a deadline (9 Months,
delivered last Friday), and couldn't wait for IBM to get their butts in gear
<sigh>.

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster
Continuum Methods & Frameworks, Inc.
Go Smalltalk!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Stored procedures and functions???
You may want to look at Unity Software Systems "Database Drivers for
Oracle" (there are also some for DB2, Sybase, and SQL Server). These
are written in Smalltalk and are a replacement to the provided VAST
support. If you are interested in more information, please visit our
web site (www.unity-software.com and follow the links to our Products

Good luck,

Simon :-)
Unity Software Systems

Quote:

>Alfredo,

>>A very large application I'm maintaining falls over very often due to a
>>call to a stored procedure that gives back bad memory buffers.

>There are two bugs in VA when calling Stored Procedures. One is for Oracle DATE
>data types and the other is for NUMBER types. If you are sending in a value of
>nil (wanting it to be NULL), VA improperly resets the value to 0 (in both cases)
>AND says the length is 0. Basically, it just screws up the "External" memory,
>and it blows chow when the call is made.

>To get around this, for dates we want NULL, we actually pass the very NOT Null
>value of January, 1, 1. We then trap that on the inside of the stored procedure
>and retranslate it to NULL. For NUMBERS, we are lucky enough that all of the
>ones which are not allowed to be just 0, are also not allowed to be -1. So we
>pass in -1, and then translate that to NULL.

>The Date hack will probably work for 99.49% of all applications, the Number hack
>is much less effective.

>Having IBM fix this would be nice, but our project was on a deadline (9 Months,
>delivered last Friday), and couldn't wait for IBM to get their butts in gear
><sigh>.

>                                And So It Goes
>                                     Sames

>Samuel S. Shuster
>Continuum Methods & Frameworks, Inc.
>Go Smalltalk!

______________________
Simon Arsenault :-)
Unity Software Systems
39 Robertson Road, Suite 234
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
K2H 8R2

work: 613-726-8867

web: www.unity-software.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. how to convert MSSQL store procedure into PostgreSQL Function

2. Stored Procedures and IBM VAST 4.0

3. J/ODBC and stored SQL procedures

4. Stored Procedures on VAST

5. Technical quetion: Stored procedures classes

6. Calling Oracle Stored procedures from VA smalltalk

7. Smalltalk and stored procedures on AS/400

8. VW Lens or Stored Procedures

9. Oracle stored procedures

10. MS-Sql Extended Stored Procedures in PB

11. Kicking off Stored Procedure

12. Automate Writing Stored Procedure