Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?
Author Message
 Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

Know of any?

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:42:12 GMT
 Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?
"Full blown multi-platform commercial grade with a non-commercial license"
http://www.cincom.com/scripts/smalltalk.exe/Home.asp

"Good Windows only with a free version available"
http://www.object-arts.com/Products.htm

"Open Source"
http://www.squeak.org/

There are others see:
http://www.goodstart.com/dialects.shtml

Quote:
> Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

> Know of any?

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:12:11 GMT
 Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

Quote:

> Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

> Know of any?

Some are free (but restricted for commercial use, i.e. "Open Source").
Some are very low cost, exceptional tools (real bargains), but not cross
platform.
Many are free for non-commercial use, most of these remain commercial
quality.

ALL implementations of Smalltalk are open source.

The typical exception is the vm, and in some cases,
the compiler.  Most or all of the class library
is open and available, and supported by browsing tools.

Compare this with C, C++, Java and other historical
languages to fully appreciate the difference.
In such environments, non-open source deliverables
are often literally closed (binary only distribution).

Not so for Smalltalk, which has always been open,
and presumably always will be.

(But squeak is also that other kind of Open Source).

Capitol Open Source is actually a misnomer, speaking more to ideas
about half-open use
  (no commercial charge, your additions also *must* be contributed for
free)
half-open contribution
  (anyone can try to contribute, some filtering system will select some
of it to add to the base)
and half-open support
  (you can get support from the community, at no charge, with no terms
or guarantees).

Not knocking it, it's a great set of models, improves the layout of the
land at large,
providing more options, more revenue models, more ways to get one's name
in lights, etc.
But the term is hijacked, and no longer actually about the "source"
being "open",
which was originally the argument, and the call, and which Smalltalk
*actually answered*,
(and in commercial terms -invented-), over twenty years ago.  And it
still provides
much stronger support for the concept than any competing environment.

But that's just my opinion, and could be biased... (but it isn't ;-)

-jim

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:11:27 GMT
 Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

 | The typical exception is the vm, and in some cases,
 | the compiler.  Most or all of the class library

Pretty important exceptions.  From what I understand the 'IDE'
is often 'stripped' before 'delivery', which seems counter to
the initial idea driving Smalltalk (a smart environment).

Maybe without exceptions that wouldn't be . . .

 | Capitol Open Source is actually a misnomer, speaking more to ideas
 +----

That would be

the party line.</a>

--

Privacy on the net is still illegal.

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:03:42 GMT

1. Writing an Open Source Implementation of FoxPro

2. NEW: Java based Kernel Prolog (Open Source Reference Implementation)

3. Open-source lisp implementations?

4. Open Source Code or Free code

5. COBOL Open Source (Free) Compiler

6. Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

7. Free/Open source lisps for Windows.

8. Free Hosting for Open Source projects

9. Free Smalltalk implementation?

10. Free IIOP implementation for Smalltalk ?

11. Angelica Smalltalk C and ASM open source projects