Curious 'File Not Found' Error
Author Message
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

I have just converted all 7 PocketSmalltalk packages into PAX format in
preparation for loading them into our cvs repo at SourceForge. I have
tried  both a Save As... and a 'Use PAX Source Format', into a separate
directory for each package. Both methods create the files in the
specified directories, as expected. The problem comes when I try to load
them into a fresh image. I don't know if I have a cyclic dependency, but
5 of the packages load, with one causing a walkback complaining thusly:

'C:\...\Pst-Ui-Dolphin\Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin.pac' - The system cannot find
the file specified. This is curious for three reasons:

0. I had already selected the Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin.PAX file when the
package manager popped up a system Open box because it was a depencency.
1. The path specified is not the directory where the Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin
package lives.
2. It is looking for a PAC file, not a PAX file, which I had already
specified.

I would have expected another system Open rather than a walkback. Any
ideas? Here's the full walkback:

11:55:10 PM, Thursday, November 29, 2001: '''C:\MD\DOLPHIN SMALLTALK 4.0
\Packages\PST-2\Pst-Ui-Dolphin\Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin.pac'' - The system
cannot find the file specified.'
File>>signalOsError
File>>open
File>>open:flags:share:
File>>open:mode:check:share:
File class>>open:mode:check:share:
FileStream class>>open:mode:check:text:
FileStream class>>read:text:
Package class>>fromPACFile:
Package class>>fromFile:
PackageManager>>loadPackage:
PackageManager>>install:
[] in PstImage{*filter*} class>>installPstRequiredPackageNames
OrderedCollection>>do:
PstImage{*filter*} class>>installPstRequiredPackageNames
UndefinedObject>>{unbound}doIt
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:evaluationPools:logged:ifFail:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:evaluationPools:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:logged:
[] in SourceManager>>fileInFrom:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
SourceManager>>fileInFrom:
SourceManager>>fileItIn:
[] in Package>>fileInScript:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
Package>>fileInScript:
[] in Package>>loadPAX
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Package>>loadPAX
Package>>load
[] in PackageManager>>install:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
[] in PackageManager>>install:
OrderedCollection>>do:
[] in PackageManager>>install:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
PackageManager>>install:
[] in PackageBrowserShell>>openPackage

Thanks for any assistance. Anyone, anyone?
Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
-- My Pocket Smalltalk Stuff: www.joeygibson.com/st

Tue, 18 May 2004 12:57:51 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error
Joey

Quote:

> I have just converted all 7 PocketSmalltalk packages into PAX format in
> preparation for loading them into our cvs repo at SourceForge. I have
> tried  both a Save As... and a 'Use PAX Source Format', into a separate
> directory for each package. Both methods create the files in the
> specified directories, as expected. The problem comes when I try to load
> them into a fresh image. I don't know if I have a cyclic dependency, but
> 5 of the packages load, with one causing a walkback complaining thusly:

> 'C:\...\Pst-Ui-Dolphin\Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin.pac' - The system cannot find
> the file specified....
> I would have expected another system Open rather than a walkback. Any
> ideas? Here's the full walkback:

The error appears to be originating from a package script (i.e. user code
associated with a package rather than with the package loading mechanism
itself)

Quote:

> 11:55:10 PM, Thursday, November 29, 2001: '''C:\MD\DOLPHIN SMALLTALK 4.0
> \Packages\PST-2\Pst-Ui-Dolphin\Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin.pac'' - The system
> cannot find the file specified.'
> File>>signalOsError
> [] in PstImage{*filter*} class>>installPstRequiredPackageNames
> OrderedCollection>>do:
> PstImage{*filter*} class>>installPstRequiredPackageNames
> UndefinedObject>>{unbound}doIt
> Compiler class>>evaluate:for:evaluationPools:logged:ifFail:
> Package>>fileInScript:
> [] in Package>>loadPAX

Regards

Blair

Wed, 19 May 2004 04:35:17 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

[snipped]

Quote:
>This is curious for three reasons:
> 0. I had already selected the Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin.PAX file when the
> package manager popped up a system Open box because it was a depencency.
> 1. The path specified is not the directory where the Pst-PalmOS-Dolphin
> package lives.
> 2. It is looking for a PAC file, not a PAX file, which I had already
> specified.

Joey,

I have no clue what your problem is, but it's nice to see, that you are
apparently
one of the very _few_ people, who *did* understand the Peano axioms.

:)))))

Ingo

Wed, 19 May 2004 14:53:04 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

Quote:

> I have no clue what your problem is, but it's nice to see, that you are
> apparently
> one of the very _few_ people, who *did* understand the Peano axioms.

> :)))))

> Ingo

I'm glad I seem to understand Peano Axioms because I have no idea what
they are. I did a bit of a Google search before writing this response,
but I'm still not sure what you were getting at. Sorry.

Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
-- My Pocket Smalltalk Stuff: www.joeygibson.com/st
--
-- "We thought about killin' him, but we kinda
--  hated to go that far...." - Briscoe Darling

Thu, 20 May 2004 10:48:31 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

Quote:
> I'm glad I seem to understand Peano Axioms because I have no idea what
> they are. I did a bit of a Google search before writing this response,
> but I'm still not sure what you were getting at. Sorry.

(I think) it's a reference to your numbering of the points in your post. You used 0 1 2 etc, so treating 0 as the
first number. Peano's axioms are a way of defining natural numbers, starting with zero, and defining a
successor function (S)  that produces the next number. So 0, S(0), S(S(0)) and so on.

So it was a mathematicians in-joke.

P. (BA Maths Cantab :)

Thu, 20 May 2004 18:05:22 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

Quote:

> > I'm glad I seem to understand Peano Axioms because I have no idea what
> > they are. I did a bit of a Google search before writing this response,
> > but I'm still not sure what you were getting at. Sorry.

> (I think) it's a reference to your numbering of the points in your post.

You used 0 1 2 etc, so treating 0 as the
Quote:
> first number. Peano's axioms are a way of defining natural numbers,

starting with zero, and defining a

Quote:
> successor function (S)  that produces the next number. So 0, S(0), S(S(0))
and so on.

> So it was a mathematicians in-joke.

> P. (BA Maths Cantab :)

Abolutely right Paul!

Most people simply ignore the 0 as a natural number, because they are used
to count from 1 on.
This has probably to do with their fingers, because there is no 0th
finger...
All programmers know about this painful issue, when translating programs
from languages, that have 0 based
indexes, to such with 1 base.

Interestingly, while *always* counting from 1, in case of the millenium
change, the whole world - except a few wise - was convinced, that the year
2000 was the start of a new Century/Millenium... :))))

Have a nice day

Ingo

Fri, 21 May 2004 10:42:30 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

arts.com says...

Quote:

> The error appears to be originating from a package script (i.e. user code
> associated with a package rather than with the package loading mechanism
> itself)

Thanks, Blair. That's exactly what it was. I commented out the offending
line (which is no longer needed anyway), and everything works nicely.
Now to import into CVS.

Joey

Fri, 21 May 2004 23:26:31 GMT
 Curious 'File Not Found' Error

Quote:
> So it was a mathematicians in-joke.

Also a C programmers in-joke. Arrays are indexed from 0 in C, and the K&R
C book has chapter 0.

Roger Zelazny once wrote a novel that began with chapter 2. The novel was
about time travel, and he figured it didn't really matter what order you
read it in. I don't know of anyone taking that view with a programming
manual, but it might be reasonable for something as event-driven as
Dolphin.

  Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK | "Weave a circle round him thrice,

                              |  For he on honey dew hath fed
 http://www.bhresearch.co.uk/ |   And drunk the milk of Paradise."

Sat, 22 May 2004 07:00:00 GMT

1. Action upon 'record not found'

2. Error: can't find file.

3. ITS NOT A VIRUS, ITS A 404 ERROR, FILE NOT FOUND

4. ITS NOT A VIRUS, ITS A 404 ERROR, FILE NOT FOUND

5. compiling error: ELF file's phentsize not the expected size

6. Intellimouse Returns 'File Not Open'

7. 'No Clarion File'-error reiading Clipperfile

8. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

9. socket.error: (9, 'Bad file descriptor')

10. can't find module 'GL'

11. Dependent DLL's not found