Upgrade from Oracle-7 to Oracle-8
Author Message
 Upgrade from Oracle-7 to Oracle-8

I have two databases:  One is on an Oracle 7.3.4 server, and the other is on an
Oracle 8.1.7 server.  I can connect to each of these using SQL-Plus.

I have a Smalltalk application developed with VW 2.5.2/Envy, which can connect
to the Oracle-7 database.  I made the library substitutions in the
OracleNTInterface and Oracle95Interface classes (changing 'ora73.dll' to
'oraclient8.dll').  I've saved the image, but the new image will still connect
to Oracle-7 and NOT Oracle-8.

Is there something else I need to do?
Thanks in advance.
-Joe P.

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:56:51 GMT
 Upgrade from Oracle-7 to Oracle-8
Try chaning the DLL in OracleNTInterface to either OCIW32.DLL (correct one).
If this doesn't work sometimes OCI.DLL works, although this is not
backwardcompatible
to older ORACLE versions.

There is also a bug in the Oracle Universal Installer which installs the
Client
in many 8.x versions which should be fixed in 8.1.7. This bug installs
inorrect
registration parameters in th Windows registry. There is a support articel
avaiable from Oracle (http://metalink.oracle.com) which explains how to fix
these values manually.

Regards

Carsten H?rle

Quote:
> I have two databases:  One is on an Oracle 7.3.4 server, and the other is
on an
> Oracle 8.1.7 server.  I can connect to each of these using SQL-Plus.

> I have a SmallTalk application developed with VW 2.5.2/Envy, which can
connect
> to the Oracle-7 database.  I made the library substitutions in the
> OracleNTInterface and Oracle95Interface classes (changing 'ora73.dll' to
> 'oraclient8.dll').  I've saved the image, but the new image will still
connect
> to Oracle-7 and NOT Oracle-8.

> Is there something else I need to do?
> Thanks in advance.
> -Joe P.

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:18:54 GMT

1. CW2003 Oracle Connect and Oracle 8 DLL's

2. USING ORACLE ACCELERATOR WITH ORACLE 8

3. Oracle DLLs required by Oracle Connect

4. Oracle Accelerator vs Oracle Sequences

5. Oracle / Oracle Connect Info

6. Python Oracle module for Oracle 8 -- NEED HELP!!!!

7. NetExpress/ServerExpress - Oracle 9.2 upgrade - Gotcha's?

8. Oratcl won't work after an Oracle upgrade

9. REGINA - Senior Oracle Consultant - 2 yrs Oracle, Designer/2000, develop client relationships, s/w solutions - NE, Any City, , Canada

10. Oracle integration with VisualWorks2.5.2

11. Accessing Oracle from VWave on SUN OS 5.5.1

12. Ansi/Ascii-Charactertranslation ODBC-Oracle