Squeak is neat, but in hangs...
Author Message
 Squeak is neat, but in hangs...

Greetings, all.

I just built Squeak under SuSE 5.3 Linux, and it seems to run
fine for a while, then it just hangs.  I suppose that I could
have installed in incorrectly, but the installation was so
simple (downloaded version 2.2 source, image file, change file,
and did a make; then I ran the VM, pointing to the image file.)

I thought that maybe Squeak is not multi-threaded, so when it
waits for anything, the VM effectively locks up.

It reminds me of my old Xerox 1108 and running ParcPlace Smalltalk
version 2.3 on my old Mac!  (Ok, so I have not used Smalltalk
in a long time...)

Thanks in advance for any advice!,
Mark

-- Mark Watson, consultant and author of 11 books on AI, Java, C++.
-- http://www.*-*-*.com/ for Open Source (Java, NLPserver, etc.)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak is neat, but in hangs...

writes:

Quote:
>I just built Squeak under SuSE 5.3 Linux, and it seems to run
>fine for a while, then it just hangs.  I suppose that I could
>have installed in incorrectly, but the installation was so
>simple (downloaded version 2.2 source, image file, change file,
>and did a make; then I ran the VM, pointing to the image file.)

>I thought that maybe Squeak is not multi-threaded, so when it
>waits for anything, the VM effectively locks up.

>It reminds me of my old Xerox 1108 and running ParcPlace Smalltalk
>version 2.3 on my old Mac!  (Ok, so I have not used Smalltalk
>in a long time...)

>Thanks in advance for any advice!,

I'd post this to the Squeak mailing list where all the Squeak gurus hang
out, or send mail to the person who ported Squeak to Linux. Squeak is in
heavy daily use by many people and should not hang. It's either a porting
problem or some other gotcha.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
Any opinions or recommendations are those
of the author and not of his employer.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak is neat, but in hangs...

Quote:

> Greetings, all.

> I just built Squeak under SuSE 5.3 Linux, and it seems to run
> fine for a while, then it just hangs.  I suppose that I could
> have installed in incorrectly, but the installation was so
> simple (downloaded version 2.2 source, image file, change file,
> and did a make; then I ran the VM, pointing to the image file.)

> I thought that maybe Squeak is not multi-threaded, so when it
> waits for anything, the VM effectively locks up.

> It reminds me of my old Xerox 1108 and running ParcPlace Smalltalk
> version 2.3 on my old Mac!  (Ok, so I have not used Smalltalk
> in a long time...)

> Thanks in advance for any advice!,
> Mark

> -- Mark Watson, consultant and author of 11 books on AI, Java, C++.
> -- http://www.markwatson.com for Open Source (Java, NLPserver, etc.)

I managed to solve this problem following advice on squeak mailing list
(http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/). I run a bastardized version
of x86 Linux.

Push left button, select "help...", select "edit preferences...", find
"disableSound", set it to true, push middle button, select "accept",
save image. Oh joy! No more lockups for me. May be it will help you too.

BTW, running VM with additional argument -memory=16m sometimes makes a
difference.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak is neat, but in hangs...

Quote:

>> Greetings, all.

>> I just built Squeak under SuSE 5.3 Linux, and it seems to run
>> fine for a while, then it just hangs.  I suppose that I could
>> have installed in incorrectly, but the installation was so
>> simple (downloaded version 2.2 source, image file, change file,
>> and did a make; then I ran the VM, pointing to the image file.)

>> I thought that maybe Squeak is not multi-threaded, so when it
>> waits for anything, the VM effectively locks up.

>> It reminds me of my old Xerox 1108 and running ParcPlace Smalltalk
>> version 2.3 on my old Mac!  (Ok, so I have not used Smalltalk
>> in a long time...)

>> Thanks in advance for any advice!,
>> Mark

>> -- Mark Watson, consultant and author of 11 books on AI, Java, C++.
>> -- http://www.markwatson.com for Open Source (Java, NLPserver, etc.)
>I managed to solve this problem following advice on squeak mailing list
>(http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/). I run a bastardized version
>of x86 Linux.
>Push left button, select "help...", select "edit preferences...", find
>"disableSound", set it to true, push middle button, select "accept",
>save image. Oh joy! No more lockups for me. May be it will help you too.
>BTW, running VM with additional argument -memory=16m sometimes makes a
>difference.

You can do it the easy way too, using "turn sound off" from Squeak
main popup menu -> help - and saving your new image.

This worked for me, under SuSE 5.3.

BTW: do you have sound support compiled and tested in your kernel ?
(:-)

Hope this helps.

Marco Bianchi

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak is neat, but in hangs...

Quote:

> You can do it the easy way too, using "turn sound off" from Squeak
> main popup menu -> help - and saving your new image.

> This worked for me, under SuSE 5.3.

> BTW: do you have sound support compiled and tested in your kernel ?
> (:-)

> Hope this helps.

> Marco Bianchi

Not on machine I have squeak on. Generally 2.1.* series of kernel have
much better sound support then 2.0.*.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak is neat, but in hangs...

writes:

Quote:
>I just built Squeak under SuSE 5.3 Linux, and it seems to run
>fine for a while, then it just hangs.  I suppose that I could
>have installed in incorrectly, but the installation was so
>simple (downloaded version 2.2 source, image file, change file,
>and did a make; then I ran the VM, pointing to the image file.)

>I thought that maybe Squeak is not multi-threaded, so when it
>waits for anything, the VM effectively locks up.

>It reminds me of my old Xerox 1108 and running ParcPlace Smalltalk
>version 2.3 on my old Mac!  (Ok, so I have not used Smalltalk
>in a long time...)

>Thanks in advance for any advice!,

I'd post this to the Squeak mailing list where all the Squeak gurus hang
out, or send mail to the person who ported Squeak to Linux. Squeak is in
heavy daily use by many people and should not hang. It's either a
porting
problem or some other gotcha.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
Any opinions or recommendations are those
of the author and not of his employer.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Is read hanging or am I confused?

2. The first periodical on Squeak: Squeak News e-zine

3. The first periodical on Squeak: Squeak News e-zine

4. squeak won't squeak...

5. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

6. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

7. Neat Net Tricks

8. A Neat ALC Trick

9. Neat recursive menu program written in awk

10. Making Code Neat

11. Neat tip from MS to show User and Computer Name

12. RGB.GIF Neat file with hex values for various colors