Any FAQ available ?
Author Message
 Any FAQ available ?

Dear Netters:

        I am just curious, but I haven't seen any FAQ posted in this
newsgroup.  Are there any available ?  If so where can I grab it ?

Thanks Very Much,
Son

Tue, 25 Feb 1997 06:41:10 GMT
 Any FAQ available ?

Quote:
>Dear Netters:

>    I am just curious, but I haven't seen any FAQ posted in this
>newsgroup.  Are there any available ?  If so where can I grab it ?

>Thanks Very Much,
>Son

Newsgroups: comp.lang.Smalltalk,news.answers,comp.answers
Subject: Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

Archive-name: smalltalk-faq
Last-modified: 1994/3/2
Version: 3.8

***

        This is a Smalltalk frequently-asked-questions (FAQ) document,

fortnightly to the USENET newsgroups comp.lang.smalltalk and
news.answers.
        It is also available as
ftp://XCF.Berkeley.EDU/pub/misc/smalltalk/SmalltalkFAQ. Finally, it

subject line "request for FAQ". The machine XCF.Berkeley.EDU has IP
address 128.32.138.1.

        Please send contributions, suggestions and comments to

that information has a short half-life.
        Obviously (to me, anyway), it's silly to force a structured
document like this one to exist as a flat text stream. In the medium
term, I'm in the midst of redoing this document as hypertext
(suitable for serving via the World Wide Web), and implementing a
Smalltalk interface for editing and reading it in the long term.
Offers of assistance are welcome.

        Thanks,

-C

***

        New items are marked with a '+'. Modified existing items are
marked with a '*'.

        Contents:

0.0)    [Meta-issues]
0.1)            How can I browse ftp sites and their data without
                        using my own disk space (unless I want to keep
                        data), and locate files on ftp sites, given
                        pathname fragments?
0.2)            Is comp.lang.smalltalk archived or available via
                        email?

1.0)    [Archival]
1.1)            What free or low-cost Smalltalk implementations are
                        there? How can I get GNU Smalltalk?
1.2)            What Smalltalk archives are there?

2.0)    [Projects]
2.1)            What is Smallmusic?
2.2)            What is CoolDraw?
2.3)            What is SmallDraw?
2.4)            What work is being done with neural nets in Smalltalk?

3.0)    [References]
3.1)            Can someone recommend a good introduction to
                        Model-View-Controller concepts?
3.2)            Is there a Smalltalk bibliography?
3.3)            What are the "blue book", "purple book", etc?
3.4)            Who are some employers of Smalltalk programmers?
3.5)            What is the Smalltalk Report?
3.6)            Is there a GNU Smalltalk tutorial?
3.7)            What's a summary of multiple inheritance in Smalltalk?
3.8)            What's the status of the ANSI Smalltalk
                        standardization effort?
3.9)            Have there been any studies done on performance
                        differences between complete C++/Smalltalk
                        (specifically ObjectWorks\Smalltalk)
                        applications in terms of runtime and space
                        consumption?
3.10)           Where can I learn about the history of Smalltalk?
3.11)           How can I get the Smalltalk Resource Guide?

4.0)    [Programming issues]
4.1)            What are some "classic Smalltalk bugs", both in the
                        system and programmer domains?
4.2)            How do I use Pool dictionaries?
4.3)            When browsing sources, I see 't1', 't2', etc., instead
                of semantically relevant variable names. What's
                going on?
4.4)            What happened to >>deepCopy in ParcPlace Smalltalk?

5.0)    ["Vendor"-specific issues]
5.1)            How compatible is GNU Smalltalk with Smalltalk-80 (or
                        Smalltalk/V)?
5.2)*           How do I contact the producers of various Smalltalk
                        implementations?
5.3)            How can I get information about HP distributed Smalltalk?

6.0)    [Smalltalk implementation issues]
6.1)            Is Smalltalk interpreted or compiled?

---

0.0) [Meta-issues]

---

0.1)            How can I browse ftp sites and their data without
                        using my own disk space (unless I want to keep
                        data), and locate files on ftp sites, given
                        pathname fragments?

Answer:

        This question might seem tangential at first (and I suppose it
is). But it is vitally important, as resources such as papers,
documentation, code and software tools become more numerous and
distributed.

        There is a set of Emacs-Lisp ("elisp") code, called
"ange-ftp.el", which makes 'ftp' use transparent within GNU Emacs (GNU
Emacs is available via anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu). This
package attempts to make accessing files and directories using FTP
from within GNU Emacs as simple and transparent as possible.  A subset
of the common file-handling routines are extended to interact with
FTP. Using these routines, one is able to access remote files and one
would any other local file, without having to write it locally to
disk. The result is an immense virtual global filesystem.
        The routines are available via anonymous ftp (naturally!) as
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/ange-ftp.tar.Z,
(incidentally, if you already had "ange-ftp.el", you could paste the

front of it, and copy the file.) My current version is dated 22
October 1991.
        Another useful bit of elisp is "saveconf.el". It saves the
Emacs buffer list and window configuration between editing sessions.
So, one can have several buffers, with several files open (as I
usually do), quit and restart Emacs, and have the state preserved,
cursor locations and windows included. Happily, it works well with
"ange-ftp.el", so that even remote files are restored (after possibly
having to prompt for passwords). "context.el" is also available via
anonymous ftp from cis.ohio-state.edu, as
pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/saveconf.el.Z. Also look for
"tree-dired.el" which provides for hierarchical directory editing.
        Incidentally, it was very easy to produce references for the
above tools, thanks to another tool called "archie", developed at
McGill University. Dubbed a "resource discovery tool" by its authors,
it comes in very handy when one knows what tools are needed but not
their availability. Archie consists of a server for this information
(basically from a database of directory trees from "all known"
anonymous ftp sites, updated once per month), and a client, which may
be run via 'telnet' from the server machine itself (frowned upon...),
or from a standalone client available from that machine (...highly
encouraged, for the considerable host load win). Some clients even
perform ftp tasks based on user response to search results. There are
clients available for dumb and X terminals as well as for (of course)
Emacs. Poke around archie.mcgill.ca for a client and documentation.

        Adapting these tools (or at least new interfaces to them) for
Smalltalk would make for several great projects. I'm working on it in my spare
time. I'd love to hear from any interested people.

-Craig

---

0.2)            Is comp.lang.smalltalk archived or available via
                        email?

Answer:

        Yes:

        Info-CLS (formerly Smalk) is a mailing list which is
bidirectionally gatewayed with comp.lang.smalltalk (via

options USA or world) gets distributed to all subscribers of
Info-CLS, and vice versa every mailing to Info-CLS gets posted
to c.l.s.

        There is a mailarchive associated with this list, i.e.
every posting/mailing gets archived and can be keyword searched by
e-mail.  In order to search the archive, which started somewhere
around September '92, send a mail message to

containing something like:
-----------------------------------cut here----
//
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD   *
Search type & checking in INFO-CLS
print
/*
-----------------------------------and here----
as the body part of the message. On details for more finegrained
retrievals, read the doc which is obtainable by sending
    GET LISTDB MEMO
as the body part of a mail message to the listserv.

In order to get subscribed, send a mail message to the listserv,
containing
    SUBSCRIBE Info-CLS Your I. Name
or drop me a note.

I want to add that I'm in the middle of preparing about another
years postings for upload (91-92), and am interested in further
private loggings for upload.
The archive is also available via gopher, but unfortunately only
as monthly chunks - which taaakes aaa looong tiiime to retrieve
them.  I haven't succeeded yet in convincing the staff at vm.gmd.de
to install software which can make single postings available by
subject.
On my wishlist is a system written in (GNU) Smalltalk, accessible
via TCP/IP, representing some kind of 'remote dictionary'.  But
that's far in the clouds.

---

1.0)    [Archival]

---

1.1)            What free or low-cost Smalltalk implementations are
                        there? How can I get GNU Smalltalk?

Answer:

        GNU Smalltalk is free. The most current location, to my

Please direct problems to the author, Steven Byrne, at

        Little Smalltalk, by Timothy Budd, is available as a book and
sources, at bookstores. It is also available as

---

1.2)            What Smalltalk archives are there?

Answer:

        There are many. Most of them simply archive GNU smalltalk, but
there are also a few large archives containing many interesting and
varied sources. All of the sites may be retrieved by invoking 'archie
smalltalk' (see above reference to 'archie').
        For convenience, descriptions of a few of the archives follow.
If you have a site/announcement you'd like included, please let ...

read more »

Wed, 05 Mar 1997 11:38:12 GMT

1. learning assembly langauge is there any faq available?

2. ANS Forth FAQ available

3. LabVIEW FAQ Available in HTML

4. FAQ available?

5. Oberon FAQ available?

6. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

7. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

8. Very rough, incomplete draft of an M (MUMPS) FAQ available

9. FAQ available ?

10. VRML FAQ Available?

11. ANNOUNCE: Mac FAQ available

12. Is there a FAQ available? Question: Convert PC MF-Cobol .DAT files to text, knowing record length