The Smalltalk Store: Why we've been slow, and why we're getting better
Author Message
 The Smalltalk Store: Why we've been slow, and why we're getting better

This is an open letter to customers of The Smalltalk Store.

I owe you all an apology.  We took over The Smalltalk Store from Doug
Shaker in October of 1996.  You had been used to a high level of service
and responsiveness from Doug, one that we equalled for a short time
after our acquisition but which has since declined.

You may know that The Smalltalk Store is a very small operation;  in
fact, most of the time when you call you probably talk to me.  If you
know me from my prior life as VP Marketing and Sales and VP Business
Development at Digitalk, you know that I have always prided myself in
the same kind of responsiveness that Doug provided.  But one of the
hazards of a small operation like ours is that it is subject to all of
the same forces that we are each subject to as individuals.  (for
example:  I had a mild case of laryngitis yesterday, which meant that
the company had laryngitis, too.)

I have been experiencing a major personal upheaval these past few
months;  I won't go into details but your first guess is probably
correct.  In a larger company there would be others who would take up
the slack;  I have not had that luxury.  As a result, our service has
suffered, for which I am personally responsible.

I am happy to report that the tumultuous times are in the past.  There
are a number of improvements that I am making over the next few weeks
that will dramatically improve things.  Here are a few of them:

-  a new Web site.  www.smalltalk.com has been in need of a facelift for
a long time.  The new site is nearly ready;  I expect this to be
operational this weekend.  Initially it will have mostly the same
content but with far better organization;  over the next two months I
will be adding online ordering, links to many more Smalltalk-related
sites, and perhaps the most exciting development - an online Smalltalk
newsletter.  I welcome contributions to this online newsletter;  please
contact me at this address.

-  a wider selection of Smalltalk and object books.  We have added 25
new titles in the past few weeks, and will be adding many more.
Descriptions will appear on the new site.

-  fast and inexpensive delivery.  We have generally shipped book orders
via US Priority Mail and software via FedEx.  Priority Mail is
reasonably priced but not traceable and not entirely dependable.
Although US Mail will still be available as an option, we have
negotiated excellent rates with FedEx, and will now be able to offer
FedEx overnight shipping on book orders for as little as $8 (within the
US;  international rates will be similarly reduced).

-  guaranteed next-day shipping on the most popular books.  I am
stocking a larger inventory of the most popular books, including Kent
Beck's "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns," Chamond Liu's "Smalltalk,
Objects and Design" and Jonathan Pletzke's "Advanced Smalltalk."  For
these and other designated books, The Smalltalk Store will guarantee
next-day shipment or shipping is free.

More improvements are in store, as well, but this will keep us busy for
a while.

I would like to thank you all for your patience with The Smalltalk Store
during some trying times.  I invite you to visit our new web site at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (beginning next Monday) and see the
improvements for yourself.

Best regards,

...dan

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The Smalltalk Store: Why we've been slow, and why we're getting better

Dear Dan,
may I use your text for a thorough description of my companies occasional
dropuouts?-)

Kind regards
- Thomas

--
+ Dipl.-Psych. Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Muhr - Scientific Software Development +
+ ATLAS/ti - Computer Aided Textinterpretation & Theory Building           +

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. If blocks are objects why can't they be stored literally in arrays:

2. why why why oh why why baby

3. Why good DBF's go bad

4. if oberon is so good, why isn't it more popular

5. Opinion futjisu Cobol is the best why pay it's free

6. Why am I getting bind errors?

7. ERROR 48 - Why am I getting it?

8. why am i getting processor stack fault error?

9. Why am I getting a NaN?

10. Newbe help : Why am I getting this output ?!?

11. Why doesn't everybody use smalltalk?

12. Why doesn't everybody use smalltalk?