Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2
Author Message
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2

Hello

some years ago I used Digitalk Smalltalk/V 3.1 to develop an application
for portfolio management. Platform was OS/2. Now I would like to port
the program to Windows. For this purpose I downloaded VisualWorks 5i.2,
from which I thought that it is a successor of Digitalk Smalltalk.
Unfortunately I had to state that the methods of many classes (e.g.
Date->fromString: or String->asArrayOfSubstringsSeparatedBy:) are no
longer available. What's the reason for this? What do you suggest,
should I rewrite the application or is it better to complete class by
class with the missing methods? Or, best of all, are there any packages
available offering backward compatibility?

Greetings
Dieter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2
Dieter,

The successor to Smalltalk/V is Visual Smalltalk, not Visual Works.
Updating your 16-bit application to VST should be reasonably
straightforward.  Unfortunately, PPD cancelled development of VST back in
1996, so this dialect doesn't have much of a future.  You can probably still
get a copy from Cincom, who acquired the rights to it.  Alternatively, you
might consider porting to another dialect.

John

Quote:
> Hello

> some years ago I used Digitalk Smalltalk/V 3.1 to develop an application
> for portfolio management. Platform was OS/2. Now I would like to port
> the program to Windows. For this purpose I downloaded VisualWorks 5i.2,
> from which I thought that it is a successor of Digitalk Smalltalk.
> Unfortunately I had to state that the methods of many classes (e.g.
> Date->fromString: or String->asArrayOfSubstringsSeparatedBy:) are no
> longer available. What's the reason for this? What do you suggest,
> should I rewrite the application or is it better to complete class by
> class with the missing methods? Or, best of all, are there any packages
> available offering backward compatibility?

> Greetings
> Dieter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2
He is running v3.1, which is already the 32-bit and last major release
of Digitalk's VisualSmalltalk.  He can port to the Windows version of
this product, if he can find a license (I'm not sure it Cincom is selling
licenses again until they ship VSE2000).

-Carl

: Dieter,

: The successor to Smalltalk/V is Visual Smalltalk, not Visual Works.
: Updating your 16-bit application to VST should be reasonably
: straightforward.  Unfortunately, PPD cancelled development of VST back in
: 1996, so this dialect doesn't have much of a future.  You can probably still
: get a copy from Cincom, who acquired the rights to it.  Alternatively, you
: might consider porting to another dialect.

: John

: > Hello
: >
: > some years ago I used Digitalk Smalltalk/V 3.1 to develop an application
: > for portfolio management. Platform was OS/2. Now I would like to port
: > the program to Windows. For this purpose I downloaded VisualWorks 5i.2,
: > from which I thought that it is a successor of Digitalk Smalltalk.
: > Unfortunately I had to state that the methods of many classes (e.g.
: > Date->fromString: or String->asArrayOfSubstringsSeparatedBy:) are no
: > longer available. What's the reason for this? What do you suggest,
: > should I rewrite the application or is it better to complete class by
: > class with the missing methods? Or, best of all, are there any packages
: > available offering backward compatibility?
: >
: > Greetings
: > Dieter
: >

 author of Liberty BASIC, twice a PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://www.libertybasic.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2
VisualWorks 5i.2 is not a successor to Digitalk Smalltalk. (You would be
closer using IBM's VisualAge Smalltalk, although it is a different vendor.)
I'd suggest instead that you consider VisualSmalltalk Enterprise for Windows
3.1.3 from Cincom (which now has the rights to sell the former Digitalk
product). The port from 3.1 OS/2 to 3.1.3 Win should be minimal.

James Foster

Quote:
> Hello

> some years ago I used Digitalk Smalltalk/V 3.1 to develop an application
> for portfolio management. Platform was OS/2. Now I would like to port
> the program to Windows. For this purpose I downloaded VisualWorks 5i.2,
> from which I thought that it is a successor of Digitalk Smalltalk.
> Unfortunately I had to state that the methods of many classes (e.g.
> Date->fromString: or String->asArrayOfSubstringsSeparatedBy:) are no
> longer available. What's the reason for this? What do you suggest,
> should I rewrite the application or is it better to complete class by
> class with the missing methods? Or, best of all, are there any packages
> available offering backward compatibility?

> Greetings
> Dieter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2

Quote:

> Dieter,

> The successor to Smalltalk/V is Visual Smalltalk, not Visual Works.
> Updating your 16-bit application to VST should be reasonably
> straightforward.  Unfortunately, PPD cancelled development of VST back in
> 1996, so this dialect doesn't have much of a future.  You can probably still
> get a copy from Cincom, who acquired the rights to it.  Alternatively, you
> might consider porting to another dialect.

Cincom supports VSE, and has a newer release that supports win2K and has
a variety of goodies and bug fixes.  It is a product under maintenance,
not development - we do not own the IP for the product.

We do strongly support both VisualWorks and ObjectStudio, and either
would be a fine choice for a VSE shop to port to.  IMHO, our support for
the future of Smalltalk is second to none.

Quote:

--
James A. Robertson
Technical Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2

Quote:

> some years ago I used Digitalk Smalltalk/V 3.1 to develop an application
> for portfolio management. Platform was OS/2. Now I would like to port
> the program to Windows. For this purpose I downloaded VisualWorks 5i.2,
> from which I thought that it is a successor of Digitalk Smalltalk.

No. VisualWorks is not the successor to VisualSmalltalk. There are
considerable differences between those two dialects - especially at the GUI
level.

Quote:
> Unfortunately I had to state that the methods of many classes (e.g.
> Date->fromString: or String->asArrayOfSubstringsSeparatedBy:) are no
> longer available. What's the reason for this? What do you suggest,
> should I rewrite the application or is it better to complete class by
> class with the missing methods? Or, best of all, are there any packages
> available offering backward compatibility?

Your best bet would be to port your VSE OS/2 app to VSE for Windows. Cincom
(owners of VisualWorks and ObjectStudio) also has the rights to sell and
maintain VSE, so you should be able to get a copy of VSE for Windows from
them (could be very expensive though).

Your next best alternative would be to port your VSE code to IBM's VisualAge
Smalltalk (VAST). Several high quality VSE to VAST porting tools exist that
can port your entire application (GUI included) to VAST. If your VSE
application uses Parts Workbench for its GUI, I would recommend SMT from
Synchrony Systems at:

    http://www.sync-sys.com/

If your VSE application uses WindowBuilder Pro, then you can either use SMT
or you can use our WindowBuilder Pro Translation Toolkit and WIndowBuilder
Pro for VAST:

    http://www.instantiations.com/sts/wbtt.htm
    http://www.instantiations.com/sts/wbp.htm

Both products can even be used together to achieve the best possible
conversion.

-Eric Clayberg
 Sr. Vice President of Product Development
 Instantiations, Inc.

 http://www.instantiations.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compatibility Digitalk Smalltalk/V and VisualWorks 5i.2

Quote:

<snip>

Quote:

> Your next best alternative would be to port your VSE code to IBM's VisualAge
> Smalltalk (VAST). Several high quality VSE to VAST porting tools exist that
> can port your entire application (GUI included) to VAST. If your VSE
> application uses Parts Workbench for its GUI, I would recommend SMT from
> Synchrony Systems at:

Cincom also has the ability to port you to VW or ObjectStudio - and we
have extremely strong support for Smalltalk going forward.

Quote:

>     http://www.sync-sys.com/

> If your VSE application uses WindowBuilder Pro, then you can either use SMT
> or you can use our WindowBuilder Pro Translation Toolkit and WIndowBuilder
> Pro for VAST:

>     http://www.instantiations.com/sts/wbtt.htm
>     http://www.instantiations.com/sts/wbp.htm

> Both products can even be used together to achieve the best possible
> conversion.

> -Eric Clayberg
>  Sr. Vice President of Product Development
>  Instantiations, Inc.

>  http://www.instantiations.com

--
James A. Robertson
Technical Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. gnu smalltalk vs st/v vs digitalk

2. Tgen for Visualworks Smalltalk 5i?

3. Digitalk vs VisualWorks

4. US&CAN-SMALLTALK(PARCPLACE/DIGITALK/ENFIN/VISUALWORKS)CONTRACT OR PERM

5. USA-SFL P/A Smalltalk, VisualWorks, Envy, Digitalk

6. US - FL - S.E.****VISUALWORKS/SMALLTALK/VISUALWORKS/SMALLTALK****CONTRACT

7. Test Mentor for VisualWorks 5i.4 and 7.0 General Availability

8. Moving from VisualWorks 2.5 to 5i

9. Beta Jun for VisualWorks 5i.1

10. VisualWorks 7, 5i Dual Head Problem

11. VisualWorks 5i?