Number of SmallTalk Users?
Author Message
 Number of SmallTalk Users?

I have been wondering how widely used Smalltalk is.  I have seen a couple
of job announcements in various places that are looking for SmallTalk
programmers, so I is used at least a little.  Does somebody know any
figures as to how much SmallTalk is used?

Thanks.
Dayne Medlyn
SDL
Utah State University

Fri, 02 Feb 1996 21:47:57 GMT
 Number of SmallTalk Users?

Quote:

> I have been wondering how widely used SmallTalk is.  I have seen a couple
> of job announcements in various places that are looking for SmallTalk
> programmers, so I is used at least a little.  Does somebody know any
> figures as to how much SmallTalk is used?

There are very few SmallTalk programmers.  On the other hand, there
are quite a few Smalltalk programmers.

Sat, 03 Feb 1996 06:59:06 GMT
 Number of SmallTalk Users?

Quote:

>I have been wondering how widely used SmallTalk is.  I have seen a couple
>of job announcements in various places that are looking for SmallTalk
>programmers, so I is used at least a little.  Does somebody know any
>figures as to how much SmallTalk is used?

Dayne,

You pose an interesting question and one not easily answered.  I'd
like to point out however that in the time that I've been using ST
as a development platform (app. 5 years), I've seen a growing trend
(albeit vague) towards its acceptance in the industry.  Previous
postings in this newsgroup indicate that its use is widespread
enough to merit the formulation of a Smalltalk standard (celebrations
or commiserations? - there's a can of worms).  OOP has gained a strong
foothold in the industry as well, but I leave it up to you (and all
other sentient readers out there) to evaluate the implications of
this regarding the use of ST as opposed to other 'object-oriented'
programming languages, in the hopes of avoiding a flame-war.

I would think that the marketing/sales departments of the prevailing
Smalltalk vendors would be able to provide you with more concise
info relating to the proliferation of their products throughout the
industry (i.e., demographic and quantitative data).  I do know
however, that Parcplace recently (within the last year) opened a
regional office in Dallas, TX in order to better support their
customers (IBM among one of them) in this area of the country.

John

CDSI - ITS Development       ||  voice  (210) 536-3579
Brooks AFB, Texas            ||====================================
==============================/
- This is only a Test.  Had it been an actual emergency, we would
have fled in terror and you would not have been notified.

Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:46:00 GMT
 Number of SmallTalk Users?

Quote:

>I have been wondering how widely used SmallTalk is.  I have seen a couple
>of job announcements in various places that are looking for SmallTalk
>programmers, so I is used at least a little.  Does somebody know any
>figures as to how much SmallTalk is used?

Of the people who went to tutorials at OOPSLA'92 (well, the ones who
filled out the evaluation forms) about three times as many said they
were C++ programmers as said they were Smalltalk programmers.  Thus,
you could use this to argue that there are three times as many C++
programmers as Smalltalk programmers.

In fact, this wildly overestimates the number of Smalltalk programmers.
There are other conferences for C++ programmers to go, but not Smalltalk
programmers.  Nevertheless, there is a lot of demand for Smalltalk
programmers.  I get a couple of calls every month from headhunters
wondering if any of my students are going to be graduating soon.

-Ralph Johnson

Wed, 07 Feb 1996 06:13:03 GMT
 Number of SmallTalk Users?
I think the issue is not "how many users are there" but "how many will there be
in the future".

There is a *very* strong awareness of Smalltalk amongst large corporates and those
who advise them.  IMHO it will quickly overtake C++.

There are many reasons for this, so consider just this one:

Suppose you are an MIS manager currently downsizing from old technology and taking
on OO and all the rest.   You have 300 talented coders with a wealth of experience
in .... COBOL.

Now, the $64,000 questions:

Which language will they learn quickest and be more productive in Smalltalk or C++?

Which language can be handled by the greatest number of those 300 (ie. which one
requires near-genius level coding skills and which one can mere mortals handle.)?

There is only one answer.

Regards

James.

Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:11:52 GMT
 Number of SmallTalk Users?

Quote:

>Suppose you are an MIS manager currently downsizing from old technology and taking
>on OO and all the rest.   You have 300 talented coders with a wealth of experience
>in .... COBOL.

>Now, the $64,000 questions:

>Which language will they learn quickest and be more productive in Smalltalk or C++?
>Which language can be handled by the greatest number of those 300 (ie. which one
>requires near-genius level coding skills and which one can mere mortals handle.)?
>There is only one answer.

Its not so simple.

While *I* agree with your implication that Smalltalk is the better
environment to move these COBOL programmers to (better than C++), the
MIS manager has many other pressures on him which can (and do) lead
to different decisions. He is likely to have people pressuring
for C++ as it is perceived as "open" and "standard", he will
be looking at 4GL's, visual programming environments and others,
and may find that in any case some of his programmers can move
to one thing easily, while others to others. He may go for a
problem to problem specific solution, building expertise in a
variety of tools - he probably doesn't want to find 10 years
down the road that he now has 300 something_obscure programmers
who need to be retrained.
--

If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
                -- Maslow

Mon, 12 Feb 1996 19:31:09 GMT

1. Little Smalltalk 4.4 and LA Smalltalk User Group meeting

2. New user need help with perfect numbers.

3. Maximum Number of Users in c5eeb application

4. C5ABC Limiting number of users template/extension

5. Topspeed file Sizes and number of users

6. Max number of users for tps database

7. Max numbers of users

8. user numbers in clarion developer 2.1

9. Number of clipper users in the world

10. Number of clipper users

11. How can I check if user input is a valid number

12. Number of LabVIEW users