Learning Books
Author Message
 Learning Books

Hi

I'm doing an open university course on object oriantated programing
using Smalltalk learning books (and finding it a bit heavy going).
One of the things not supplied in the course is a syntax referance
book, It would be a great help when codeing. Does anyone knowon this
version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Richard.

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 05:13:34 GMT
 Learning Books
"Richard" schrieb:

Quote:
> I'm doing an open university course on object oriantated programing
> using Smalltalk learning books (and finding it a bit heavy going).
> One of the things not supplied in the course is a syntax referance
> book, It would be a great help when codeing. Does anyone knowon this
> version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

Hi Richard,

I'm doing the same course and besides the course material I use a
couple of books (unfortunately all of them are in German so the
titles won't probably help you very much) and the already mentioned
Smalltalk tutorial site:

http://members.aol.com/M206ou/m206/M206_Smalltalk_tutorial_M206
_Smalltalk_index.htm#mC

As learning book is based on Cincom's Visual Works you'll find a
lot of interesting and very helpful material on the Cincom website:

http://www.cincom.com/scripts/smalltalk.dll//downloads/index.ssp

Visual works is a huge system but it functions like learning book
and its worth a try (especially the documentation can be very
helpful.)

There isn't a specific language reference but a very good
application developers guide.

Cheers
Claudia

--
"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I
believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right." -
George Bush, Rome, July 22, 2001

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:23:09 GMT
 Learning Books

Quote:
> Does anyone knowon this
> version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

I helped to build this thing several years ago.
Unless somebody migrated it, it's VisualWorks with a different UI.

Steve
--
Steven T Abell
Software Designer

In software, nothing is more concrete than a good abstraction.

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:43:13 GMT
 Learning Books
Wow Steve

Feels like I'm mixing in big circles ;-)

I suppose its all about how much time you have on OU courses to
extract note and practice the methods in the M206 course.
I find myself spending load's of time going back through pages of
course materials and exercises to solve a quite simple mistake in my
code.
(There, whinging student feels better now) <- in parenthesis.

Cheers

Richard.

Quote:
>> Does anyone knowon this
>> version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

>I helped to build this thing several years ago.
>Unless somebody migrated it, it's VisualWorks with a different UI.

>Steve
>--
>Steven T Abell
>Software Designer
>http://www.brising.com

>In software, nothing is more concrete than a good abstraction.

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:45:51 GMT
 Learning Books

Quote:

>I suppose its all about how much time you have on OU courses to
>extract note and practice the methods in the M206 course.

I'm considering this course for next year. What are your thoughts on it?

Feel free to reply by e-mail - I would have mailed you but your address
looks decidedly dicey.

DaveM

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:22:54 GMT
 Learning Books
Hi Dave

1st the email thing, I'm a bad boy i know, but it's anti Spam
technology.

As for the M206 course, It's mostly a course in Smalltalk, you learn
the ideas of OOP
(Object Oriented Programming) through learning the messages and
methods in the language,
I think that's a fairly accurate description, (I'm always open to
correction).
I personally find the course notes a little confusing at times, but if
code is your thing you'll enjoy it.

Back to me books. ;-)

Richard.

On Fri, 24 May 2002 01:22:54 +0100, DaveM

Quote:

>>I suppose its all about how much time you have on OU courses to
>>extract note and practice the methods in the M206 course.

>I'm considering this course for next year. What are your thoughts on it?

>Feel free to reply by e-mail - I would have mailed you but your address
>looks decidedly dicey.

>DaveM

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:56:04 GMT
 Learning Books
I'm not sure I understand your comment
(a British/American idiom issue, I suspect)
but I'll make a guess in good faith and go from there.
The intent of LB Smalltalk is to expose only as much existing code
as the course designer believes is necessary for the current task.
This is partly to deal with the fear factor
that goes along with using a system with > 20000 methods in it.
The downside is that you can't explore to your heart's content,
which is often helpful and usually kind of fun.
If the issue is really syntax, perhaps I can help you with this.
General Smalltalk syntax is very simple
to the point that it mystifies some at first,
especially if they're used to looking at other languages.
Can you give me an example of a specific problem you've had?

Best regards,

Steve
--
Steven T Abell
Software Designer
http://www.brising.com

In software, nothing is more concrete than a good abstraction.

Quote:

> Wow Steve

> Feels like I'm mixing in big circles ;-)

> I suppose its all about how much time you have on OU courses to
> extract note and practice the methods in the M206 course.
> I find myself spending load's of time going back through pages of
> course materials and exercises to solve a quite simple mistake in my
> code.
> (There, whinging student feels better now) <- in parenthesis.

> Cheers

> Richard.

> >> Does anyone knowon this
> >> version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

> >I helped to build this thing several years ago.
> >Unless somebody migrated it, it's VisualWorks with a different UI.

> >Steve
> >--
> >Steven T Abell
> >Software Designer
> >http://www.brising.com

> >In software, nothing is more concrete than a good abstraction.

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:09:57 GMT
 Learning Books
hi steve

i'm taking the same course, and as you say the most confusing thing
about it I found was the hidden methods, i can see the reason behind
it, but the first month or so of the course, i couldn't for the life
of me see where it was going, as it wasn't explained in detail how LW
would develop.

IMO it might help if the unavailable features where 'greyed out'
instead of missing completely, at least the student would have a
chance of seeing the big picture.

Regards

Gaz

Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:53:19 GMT
 Learning Books

Quote:
>I'm doing an open university course on object oriantated programing
>using Smalltalk learning books (and finding it a bit heavy going).
>One of the things not supplied in the course is a syntax referance
>book, It would be a great help when codeing. Does anyone knowon this
>version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

A real excellent English book on that topic is On to Smalltalk from
Patrick Henry Winston. It is very concise and includes a good index.
If you are looking for an syntax example, e.g. iteration, you'll find
answers very quickly.

Kind regards
Claudia

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:25:02 GMT
 Learning Books
Thanks Claudia

I'll look out for that.

Richard.

On Fri, 31 May 2002 22:25:02 +0200, Claudia Tomaschek

Quote:

>>I'm doing an open university course on object oriantated programing
>>using Smalltalk learning books (and finding it a bit heavy going).
>>One of the things not supplied in the course is a syntax referance
>>book, It would be a great help when codeing. Does anyone knowon this
>>version of smalltalk and does such a book exist.

>A real excellent English book on that topic is On to Smalltalk from
>Patrick Henry Winston. It is very concise and includes a good index.
>If you are looking for an syntax example, e.g. iteration, you'll find
>answers very quickly.

>Kind regards
>Claudia

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 05:43:01 GMT

1. VHDL self learning book recommendation sought

2. good Lisp learning book?

3. Learning Books Smalltalk

4. learning books about clipper? Leerboeken over clipper?

5. good book for learning Smalltalk?

6. What is best book to learn smalltalk

7. Books for learning Smalltalk and Visual Age

8. Book learning ABC

9. Error in Learning Clarion Book and CD's

10. SE: Book on learning smalltalk?

11. Learning Clarion Book

12. A good book to learn Eiffel on ?