ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release
Author Message
 ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release

Hi,

I am pleased to announce the first beta release of Spray WebServices for
Dolphin Smalltalk.

Spray is an open source project released under the BSD license.

The download and documentation can be found at;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Features:
-Soap1.1 message processing.
-Soap1.1 encoding and RPC.
-Automatic WSDL 1.1 generation.
-Generation of local services from WSDL1.1.
-XML Schema support for Soap1.1 encoding.
-XML Schema based Object encoding and decoding.
-Server transport via Swazoo.
-Client and Servers score high in interoperation tests.
-Full Soap header support.
-Soap Authentication.

Thanks,
Steve Waring
www.dolphinharbor.org

Wed, 05 May 2004 00:53:05 GMT
 ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release
Hello,

great work!

esspecially i am interested in the coding/decoding abilities of your
framework.
do you have an outline/hints for using it with a own xml-schema?
Specially the marshalling/unmarshalling from/to xml nodes?

Greetings

Benar Kayali

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am pleased to announce the first beta release of Spray WebServices for
> Dolphin Smalltalk.

> Spray is an open source project released under the BSD license.

> The download and documentation can be found at;
> http://www.dolphinharbor.org/qad/spray/index.html

> Features:
> -Soap1.1 message processing.
> -Soap1.1 encoding and RPC.
> -Automatic WSDL 1.1 generation.
> -Generation of local services from WSDL1.1.
> -XML Schema support for Soap1.1 encoding.
> -XML Schema based Object encoding and decoding.
> -Server transport via Swazoo.
> -Client and Servers score high in interoperation tests.
> -Full Soap header support.
> -Soap Authentication.

> Thanks,
> Steve Waring
> www.dolphinharbor.org

Fri, 07 May 2004 07:34:47 GMT
 ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release

Hi Benar,

Quote:
>i am interested in the coding/decoding abilities of your
> framework.

Yes this is also what interests me most.

Quote:
> do you have an outline/hints for using it with a own xml-schema?
> Specially the marshalling/unmarshalling from/to xml nodes?

One of the goals of Spray was to make it easy to download a WSDL, which
defines a WebService, and use that service without having to configure how
the type definitions of the WSDL schema decode/encode. To enable this, when
a xml-schema is imported, Spray will decode/encode into the "Generic Value
classes" [1]. For the typical case of a complexType definition, the value
class is a keyed collection keyed by element name.

Using your own schema is similar to importing a schema that is part of a
WSDL. You need to import it into the typespace. An example of this is at
[2].

marshalling/unmarshalling is performed by a visitor over the XeContent
components. A particle (typically an element) contains an objectAccessor,
which is responsible for setting (and getting) its value into its parent
object. For the generic value classes a keyedAccessor is used. To encode and
decode into your own class, a selectorAccessor is used which uses the
elements local name as a getter/setter. There is also a third class of
accessor used for attributes in literal encoding. At this stage I have not
needed anything more complicated.

An example which compares the use of keyedAccessors to selectorAccessors can
be found at [3] These examples are from the perspective of a WebService
server, however you can follow the examples, and instead of sending
soapMessages, ask the service for its typespace and encode/decode objects
manually.

I should also point out that Sprays literal encoding support is still Alpha.
At this stage only soap-enc encoding is complete. Full xml-schema support is
a large undertaking, and I am unsure whether I am willing to commit the time
to Spray to provide full support. That said, it should support most common
ways of using schema components to describe data structures.

If you can provide me with a sample xml-schema, and some use cases of how
you would like to do marshalling/unmarshalling, I would be happy to provide
some concrete examples for you on the wiki. Writing documentation for Spray
was very challenging, it is easier to answer questions and provide examples!

Thanks,
Steve Waring
www.dolphinharbor.org

(Information at the following links can also be found in the documentation
download. The wiki on port 8080 can become unresponsive, but should clear
after a couple of hours)

[1]
http://www.dolphinharbor.org:8080/SprayDocumentation/24#GenericValueC...
[2]
http://www.dolphinharbor.org:8080/SprayDocumentation/24#ImportedSchem...
[3] http://www.dolphinharbor.org:8080/SprayDocumentation/21#DocumentLiteral

Fri, 07 May 2004 16:04:35 GMT
 ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release
Steve,

Quote:
> (Information at the following links can also be found in the documentation
> download. The wiki on port 8080 can become unresponsive, but should clear
> after a couple of hours)

Is this one of those life-check/reboot deals, or is there something socket
oriented that's taking hours to resolve?  This _might_ be relevant to a
problem that I'm trying to fix.

Congratulations on the release!

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Sat, 08 May 2004 12:44:45 GMT
 ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release
Hi Bill,

Quote:
> Is this one of those life-check/reboot deals, or is there something socket
> oriented that's taking hours to resolve?  This _might_ be relevant to a
> problem that I'm trying to fix.

It is a life-check fix.

The problem is that swiki goes into a tight loop consuming 99% of a WinNT
machines processor time. It has been discussed extensively on the swiki
mailing list, but I am still not sure what triggers it. I have not been able
to reproduce it on my local swiki, and I am starting to suspect that it is
some user agent or spider.

Thanks,
Steve
www.dolphinharbor.org

Sat, 08 May 2004 17:27:11 GMT
 ANN: [DOL] Spray WebServices beta release
Great work Steve!!!
Quote:

> Hi,

> I am pleased to announce the first beta release of Spray WebServices for
> Dolphin Smalltalk.

> Spray is an open source project released under the BSD license.

> The download and documentation can be found at;
> http://www.dolphinharbor.org/qad/spray/index.html

> Features:
> -Soap1.1 message processing.
> -Soap1.1 encoding and RPC.
> -Automatic WSDL 1.1 generation.
> -Generation of local services from WSDL1.1.
> -XML Schema support for Soap1.1 encoding.
> -XML Schema based Object encoding and decoding.
> -Server transport via Swazoo.
> -Client and Servers score high in interoperation tests.
> -Full Soap header support.
> -Soap Authentication.

> Thanks,
> Steve Waring
> www.dolphinharbor.org

Tue, 11 May 2004 00:27:36 GMT

1. ANN: [DOL] Splash Soap client beta

2. Spray webservices for Dolphin XP 5

3. ANN: ImageEx2 beta 1 released!

4. ANN: ImageEx2 beta 3 released!

5. ANN: ImageEx2 beta 2 released

6. ANN: PdfWrite Class 2.0 Beta released

7. Ann: xBaseScript beta 01 released.

8. ANN: Office Templates v2.0 beta release

9. ANN: Apollo ASP Released To Beta, and other news

10. ANN: EDOM beta 2 released

11. ANN: EDOM beta 1 released

12. ANN: the first beta of PySNMP 3.x has been released