question about image compatibility 
Author Message
 question about image compatibility
Hi,

Im new to the Smalltalk world and here is my question:
I am trying to make this old smalltalk code,  I have an image file and a
change file.
Supposedly this code was written in Visual Works 4.1 (I haven't found
such version, but my advisor says it actually was VW 3.1).  Anyways, I
tried to load VW 3 with this image and it didnt work.  I also tried to
use VW 5.4 and it didnt work either.  I get the error that the image is
incompatible.

I dont know if the image was created with a unix version or VW or a PC.
But although I would have hope that such things would be machine
independent, it seems not.

Are images version and platform dependent??  Is there anyway to
translate such image into a newer image format?

Thanks,
Alexis



Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:37:50 GMT  
 question about image compatibility

Quote:
> Hi,

> Im new to the smalltalk world and here is my question:
> I am trying to make this old smalltalk code,  I have an image file and a
> change file.
> Supposedly this code was written in Visual Works 4.1 (I haven't found
> such version, but my advisor says it actually was VW 3.1).  Anyways, I

that would be 3.1

Quote:
> tried to load VW 3 with this image and it didnt work.  I also tried to
> use VW 5.4 and it didnt work either.  I get the error that the image is
> incompatible.

if it's a 3.x version, it won't run with 5i.  Did you try running with a
commercial 3.x vm, or an nc 3.x vm?  There were differences then; an nc
vm would not run a commercial image.

Quote:

> I dont know if the image was created with a unix version or VW or a PC.
> But although I would have hope that such things would be machine
> independent, it seems not.

doesn't matter

Quote:

> Are images version and platform dependent??  Is there anyway to

version depends.  3.x --> 5i, yes.  platform independent

Quote:
> translate such image into a newer image format?

no
Quote:

> Thanks,
> Alexis



Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:04:02 GMT  
 question about image compatibility


Quote:
> Hi,

> Im new to the smalltalk world and here is my question:
> I am trying to make this old smalltalk code,  I have an image file and a
> change file.

Try playing the changes file into a {*filter*} VW3.1 image:

- launcher menu 'Changes' --> 'Open change list'.
- in the change list
   - menu 'File'-->'Read file' (enter name of .cha file)
   - menu 'Replay'-->'All from the top'

Quote:
> Are images version and platform dependent??

Version dependent, not platform dependent.

R
-



Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:26:16 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Backwards compatibility problem in images

2. compatibility of binary images

3. getting an image-bearing widget to refresh its image (bonus question: at regular intervals)

4. RS question (compatibility?)

5. Parcels compatibility and other questions

6. Question: any compatibility issue between Clipper 5.3 and 5.01

7. many LV compatibility questions!!

8. Easy question - Array indicator and control compatibility

9. CA-VO MS-ACCESS Compatibility Question

10. Question about MacOberon Compatibility

11. Question about RM/COBOL and PL/COBOL compatibility.

12. Question about the compatibility between DVF 6 and Visual Studio 5

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software