apple's 1985 smalltalk
Author Message
 apple's 1985 smalltalk

I have Apple's experimental Smalltalk environment from 1985, which ran on
the Mac 512, Mac 512e, and Mac Plus.  (It ran extremely slowly, but only
cost $50 for 7 400-K disks).

Today's modern Macs could run this SmallTalk at a not-too-bad speed, if
its executable (and SmallTalk code) could be updated to properly handle:
 - HFS file system
 - color screens
 - 32-bit memory addressing
 - who knows what else?

In fact, I would LIKE to make this into a shareware SmallTalk, but I
realize
that I'd need permissions from Apple and Xerox.

Is there anyone out there that might want to help me do this just for my
own personal use?

Are there any (present or former) Apple people who are familiar with this
SmallTalk and can give advice?

Any Apple/Xerox people who could authorize making this shareware?

Don't ask me to mail you the whole environment, since I respect copyrights.

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:13:03 GMT

1. apple's 1985 smalltalk

2. Microsoft C, version 4, circa 1985

3. IEEE Std. 754-1985

4. IEEE Std.754-1985

5. C.A.R. Hoare on Ada - 1985

6. Microsoft COBOL compiler (1985) ver 2.1

7. Apple's Dylan's FAQ postable?

8. LOGO-L> Apple Logo - for Apple IIe

9. Smalltalk at Apple WWDC? (QKS responds)

10. Smalltalk at Apple WWDC?

11. APPLE EVENTS for Smalltalk V/Mac

12. Apple level 0 and 1 versions of Smalltalk...