ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?
Author Message
 ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?

I think I've seen reference here to VW support for TCP/IP Sockets,
but can't find it now.

I've searched the VW reference manuals (User's Guide, Object
Reference), and looked around on the ParcBench, but have found
nothing that looks like it.

Please tell me where to learn about this, or tell me that I was
dreaming.  Thanks.

|_____#___#_____#_   R&D and Support       1-410-489-9521            |
| # # #   # # # #    Overlord, Inc.        1-410-489-9512 fax        |
| # # # # # # # #    a Tandem Alliance Partner and ParcPlace Partner |

Fri, 19 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?

This classes exist as file-ins with VW and Objectworks 4.1,
I think these classes come under the category OS-Unix-Sockets.
They are much easier to use than the routines you have to construct
in C, f.ex. I have used them on a couple of occasions, and there was
no troble at all.

Fri, 19 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
:
: I've searched the VW reference manuals (User's Guide, Object
: Reference), and looked around on the ParcBench, but have found
: nothing that looks like it.
:

First fileIn:

 utils/socket.st

Two new classes will be filed in: SocketAccessor & SocketAddress.
Under the CLASS-categories "example" and "documentation" of SocketAccessor you
will find....well...examples and docs. :-)

- Student, University of Trondheim, Dept. of Informatics    -
- WWW: "http://www.ifi.unit.no/~runarj/runarj.html"         -

Fri, 19 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?

Quote:

>I think I've seen reference here to VW support for TCP/IP Sockets,
>but can't find it now.
>I've searched the VW reference manuals (User's Guide, Object
>Reference), and looked around on the ParcBench, but have found
>nothing that looks like it.
>Please tell me where to learn about this, or tell me that I was
>dreaming.  Thanks.

Hi !

Yes it is true, PP VisualWorks supports TCP/IP Sockets !
But the support is *not* mentioned in the books.
What you have to do:

file in /visual/utils/socket.st
Look in the new group OS Sockets.
The documentation is in the class protocol documentation.

I personally use the sockets. Works fine !

If you have problems, please mail me .

Frank

Thu, 25 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?
Sockets does work fine for most UNIX boxes.  For Windows it depends on what
you want to do and which TCP software you have.  On Macintosh you are SOL.
PP recommends but does not support a package called GUSI for the Mac.  If
you get this package you need to get the C support, MPW and have to extend
the virtual machine. SIGH - too much work.  PP has taken a position that
Apple should support Berekley sockets because sometime in the distant past
Apple said they might.  All other serious development environments for the
Mac support MacTCP.  I wish PP did because I have a couple of customers that
would like to deploy on Macs.

Dave

Sun, 12 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?
You have tried the sockets.st file in the UTILS sub-directory?

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ParcPlace VW: TCP/IP Sockets -- where/how?

Quote:

>Sockets does work fine for most UNIX boxes.  For Windows it depends on what
>you want to do and which TCP software you have.
>  SNIP
>Dave

VW 2.0 for Windows does sockets for any TCP stack implementing WinSock. We use
Novell's LAN Workplace for DOS/Windows and it is fine.

Sherman

Account Manager
Macquarie Bank
20 Bond St                      or  PO Box H68
Sydney    NSW                       Australia Square    NSW
Australia    2000                   Australia    2001
61+2-237-6192  FAX: 61+2-237-4372

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Parcplace Smalltalk tcp/ip, files and instance variable bugs

2. VW 2.5 - TCP/IP on MS Windows

3. Mac tcp-ip in VW

4. Socket on Win32 for TCP/IP work?

5. JPEG download via TCP/IP (Socket Control)

6. CA-Clipper and TCP/IP Sockets.

7. TCP/IP (Socket) Comunication

8. TCP/IP socket interface

9. TCP/IP Instrument & Socket Classes in VISA

10. TCP/IP sockets code in REXX script (long) - client.CMD (1/1)

11. TCP/IP sockets code in REXX script (long) - client.CMD (0/1)

12. TCP/IP sockets code in REXX script (long) - server.CMD (0/1)