VA: VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk platforms and the future
Author Message
 VA: VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk platforms and the future

IBM is committed to wide platform coverage for VisualAge and IBM
Smalltalk.  We plan to provide support for platforms that are important
to our customers while emphasizing:
  o Portability across these platforms (the same excellent
    portability we provide between OS/2 and Windows today with V2)
  o Use of native platform widgets

In the immediate future, IBM will be providing development and runtime
support for AIX as our first support for Unix platforms.  Beta testing
has begun for this environment and will continue through 1995 until
general availability.

IBM views Windows 95 and Windows NT as critical platforms and plans to
provide support for these platforms soon.  We have begun testing of
VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk on these platforms.  When we are far enough
along with this testing, we will announce our specific plans for
delivery of development and runtime support for Windows 95 and Windows
NT.  We expect this announcement to be in the fourth quarter of 1995.

HP Unix and Sun Solaris are the next highest priority Unix environments
that IBM intends to support for VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk.  IBM plans
to begin porting work to these environments in 4Q95 and expects to make
an announcement of availability for VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk on HP
Unix and Sun Solaris sometime in 4Q95.

The IBM VisualAge Team

Sun, 15 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VA: VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk platforms and the future

Quote:
> IBM is committed to wide platform coverage for VisualAge and IBM
> Smalltalk.  We plan to provide support for platforms that are important
> to our customers while emphasizing:
>   o Portability across these platforms (the same excellent
>     portability we provide between OS/2 and Windows today with V2)
>   o Use of native platform widgets

> In the immediate future, IBM will be providing development and runtime
> support for AIX as our first support for Unix platforms.  Beta testing
> has begun for this environment and will continue through 1995 until
> general availability.

> IBM views Windows 95 and Windows NT as critical platforms and plans to
> provide support for these platforms soon.  We have begun testing of
> VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk on these platforms.  When we are far enough
> along with this testing, we will announce our specific plans for
> delivery of development and runtime support for Windows 95 and Windows
> NT.  We expect this announcement to be in the fourth quarter of 1995.

> HP Unix and Sun Solaris are the next highest priority Unix environments
> that IBM intends to support for VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk.  IBM plans
> to begin porting work to these environments in 4Q95 and expects to make
> an announcement of availability for VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk on HP
> Unix and Sun Solaris sometime in 4Q95.

> The IBM VisualAge Team

What is the time frame for your Mac port?

Sun, 22 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VA: VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk platforms and the future

Quote:

>> . . .
>> In the immediate future, IBM will be providing development and runtime
>> support for AIX as our first support for Unix platforms.  Beta testing
>> has begun for this environment and will continue through 1995 until
>> general availability.

>> IBM views Windows 95 and Windows NT as critical platforms and plans to
>> provide support for these platforms soon.  We have begun testing of
>> VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk on these platforms. . .

>> HP Unix and Sun Solaris are the next highest priority Unix environments
>> that IBM intends to support for VisualAge and IBM Smalltalk. . ..

>What is the time frame for your Mac port?

   Again, I do not claim to speak for IBM.  Following are some general
speculation and observation - not necessarily mine or anyone's in
particular.

   It is technically feasible to work on a Mac version of VisualAge.
There are also various factors to consider, business-wise.  I won't
go into details at risk of an off-topic discussion - most of which
probably belong to some financial/marketing thread elsewhere.

   If VisualAge on the Mac be a serious proposition for you and
your business and if you are looking at IBM to provide such a product,
you should already be talking to at an IBM Marketing Rep., if not
the VisualAge product manager/planner.

   As the original message read, there is currently no publicly
available/mentionable information regarding a Mac version of VisualAge.

   Regards,

Jimmy Nguyen
"Not speaking for VOA, BBC, CIA, KGB, FBI, IBM... nor SELF.
Look on the lighter side, I could have been speaking for... YOU!"

Mon, 23 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for IBM VisualAge Java/IBM VisualAge Smalltalk teachers

2. [VA] Filing in PPS smalltalk code into VisualAge Smalltalk

3. Looking for Senior Engineer with Smalltalk,(IBM VisualAge Smalltalk prefered ) , NT, DB2 and MQ Series knowledge

4. Future of VisualAge for Smalltalk?

5. Future of Smalltalk - VW or VA?

6. Future of Smalltalk - VA or VW?

7. Smalltalk Future with VA or VW?

8. US-VA-Norfolk VisualAge Smalltalk developer needed

9. VA-Permanent VisualAge Smalltalk Developer

10. VA-Smalltalk Contractors-VisualAge or ENFIN

11. VisualAge Smalltalk position in Norfolk, VA

12. VisualAge Smalltalk Technical Lead (Northern VA area)