background color on push buttons
Author Message
 background color on push buttons

I am trying to set the background color of a push button to somthing other
then the default. I have tried several different approches but nothing seems
to work. The button simply will not change color. Does anyone know how to do
this. I am running VisualAge for Smalltalk version 4.02 under windows NT. I
have previously done
the the same thing under OS/2 and that worked fine.

/David

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons

Quote:
> I am trying to set the background color of a push button to somthing
other
> then the default. I have tried several different approches but nothing
seems
> to work. The button simply will not change color. Does anyone know how to
do
> this. I am running VisualAge for smallTalk version 4.02 under windows NT.
> have previously done the the same thing under OS/2 and that worked fine.

This is an operating system limitation and is documented in the VAST docs.
Windows does not allow you to change the background colors of buttons
except through the Display control panel. OS/2 does not have this
limitation.

We sell a new product called WidgetKit/Controls that includes over a dozen
new widgets for VisualAge. One of the widgets is replacement for the
standard push button. This widget gives you complete control over
foreground and background color as well as support for multi-line labels
with images. You can read more about the product at:

        http://www.smalltalksystems.com/wkctrls.htm

-Eric Clayberg
Vice President
Instantiations, Inc., Smalltalk Systems Division

 http://www.smalltalksystems.com
 http://www.instantiations.com

 GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons
On 1 Oct 1998 19:18:40 GMT, "Eric Clayberg"

Quote:

>> I am trying to set the background color of a push button to somthing
>other
>> then the default. I have tried several different approches but nothing
>seems
>> to work. The button simply will not change color. Does anyone know how to
>do
>> this. I am running VisualAge for smallTalk version 4.02 under windows NT.
>> have previously done the the same thing under OS/2 and that worked fine.

>This is an operating system limitation and is documented in the VAST docs.
>Windows does not allow you to change the background colors of buttons
>except through the Display control panel. OS/2 does not have this
>limitation.

>We sell a new product called WidgetKit/Controls that includes over a dozen

****    Gee, VW does that already -- on the other hand, maybe I would
        trade that feature for at least a little bit of native
        widgets -- "maybe".

>new widgets for VisualAge. One of the widgets is replacement for the
>standard push button. This widget gives you complete control over
>foreground and background color as well as support for multi-line labels
>with images. You can read more about the product at:

>    http://www.smalltalksystems.com/wkctrls.htm

>-Eric Clayberg
>Vice President
>Instantiations, Inc., Smalltalk Systems Division

> http://www.smalltalksystems.com
> http://www.instantiations.com

> GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons

Quote:
>I am trying to set the background color of a push button to somthing other
>then the default. I have tried several different approches but nothing seems
>to work. The button simply will not change color. Does anyone know how to do
>this. I am running VisualAge for smallTalk version 4.02 under windows NT. I
>have previously done
>the the same thing under OS/2 and that worked fine.

>/David

that is not possible in the Window family of OSes.  In the back of
one of the VisualAge Manuals (IBM Smalltalk Programmer's Reference, I
believe) there is a table with three columns (Win, OS2, AIX) with
a comparison of features and differences between the OSes.

Another subtle difference between Win and the other OSes is you cannot
make a window non-resizable unless you disable the minimize and
maximize buttons.

- alexis

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons

Quote:

> Another subtle difference between Win and the other OSes is you cannot
> make a window non-resizable unless you disable the minimize and
> maximize buttons.

Actually, that is not true. Windows itself permits the above just fine. It
is a bug/feature of VisualAge that does not allow you to this. My guess is
that earlier versions of Windows (2.x? 3.x?) did not allow that combination
so the folks at OTI hardcoded that prohibition into their low-level Windows
code. IBM really ought to fix this at some point.

-Eric Clayberg
Vice President
Instantiations, Inc., Smalltalk Systems Division

 http://www.smalltalksystems.com
 http://www.instantiations.com

 GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons
There should be a class something like DrawnButton (I don't remember
exactly).
If you use this, it should help you. Some hacking required, though.

Vlastimil Adamovsky

Quote:

> I am trying to set the background color of a push button to somthing other
> then the default. I have tried several different approches but nothing seems
> to work. The button simply will not change color. Does anyone know how to do
> this. I am running VisualAge for smallTalk version 4.02 under windows NT. I
> have previously done
> the the same thing under OS/2 and that worked fine.

> /David

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons

Quote:

> There should be a class something like DrawnButton (I don't remember
> exactly).
> If you use this, it should help you. Some hacking required, though.

Actually, it's probably called something like EwqzxlkrDrawnButton to compensate
for the non-existent namespace support. :-)

David
David Whiteman                          Applied Reasoning
NC State 24, Fla. State 7               111 Corning Road, Suite 220
whiteman at AppliedReasoning.com        Cary, NC 27511-9231
ICQ# 12178974                           919-851-7677
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3261 http://www.AppliedReasoning.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 background color on push buttons
That used to be a limitation in Windows Java, and isn't anymore, so I am
guessing that you are right about the "cause".
Quote:

> > Another subtle difference between Win and the other OSes is you cannot
> > make a window non-resizable unless you disable the minimize and
> > maximize buttons.

> Actually, that is not true. Windows itself permits the above just fine. It
> is a bug/feature of VisualAge that does not allow you to this. My guess is
> that earlier versions of Windows (2.x? 3.x?) did not allow that combination
> so the folks at OTI hardcoded that prohibition into their low-level Windows
> code. IBM really ought to fix this at some point.

> -Eric Clayberg
> Vice President
> Instantiations, Inc., Smalltalk Systems Division

>  http://www.smalltalksystems.com
>  http://www.instantiations.com

>  GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. VA 4.0 Push Button Background color

2. conflicts between button colors and background color

3. Changing Push Button Colors

4. Toolbar button background color

5. setting button background color

6. Button's background color..

7. Color Button Background

8. Radio buttons on color background

9. TK42 Cascade menu's buttons background color

10. background color of buttons/menu items is black

11. setting button background color

12. Setting a web hex color as background color for a canvas