Rumbaugh Development Efforts
Author Message
 Rumbaugh Development Efforts

If someone does a literature search on OO development efforts, the
two most popular OO development methods that appear are Booch and Rumbaugh.
I have seen numerous instances of systems developed using Booch, but
other than GE I do not know of other instances of software built using
Rumbaugh. If someone is using Rumbaugh for their effort could you please
post a summary of your effort (e.g., number of people, type of project,
estimated duration, ...) and why your team selected Rumbaugh over other
development approaches.

Thanx,

Ronald C. Schultz                               | Phone: (301) 417-9884
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 417-0021

Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877                    |

Fri, 06 Oct 1995 18:43:45 GMT
 Rumbaugh Development Efforts
Ron Schultz requested summary posting of efforts done using Rumbaugh.
Here's mine:

I selected Rumbaugh because I liked the notation on the OOA diagrams
better than the Coad and Yourdon notation we started with, and I liked the
inclusion of data flow and state diagramming tools for projects where those
tools make sense. We wanted a standard for all software development in our
Magnet Test Dept. After surveying methodologies 2.5 yrs ago, it seemed to
encompass what we liked and needed for our project.

We are developing databases for magnet test data for the Superconducting
Super Collider project south of Dallas. We generate OOA diagrams using
Rumbaugh via ProtoSoft's Paradigm Plus tool, then translate them to
Extended ER diagrams in a Lawrence Berkeley Lab tool ER-Draw and SDT
(Schema Design and Translation), the latter of which creates SQL procedures
and tables and triggers for our Sybase database. We expect our first big
milestone with these tools in place in June when we begin testing magnets
in house in our new Magnet Test Laboratory. We purchased the Rumbaugh tool
a year ago, but are only in the past few months getting any real experience
with it. We have actively used the LBL toolset for almost 3 years with
great success.

Hope that answers your questions!
--
Sandra (Candy) Robinson
Superconducting Super Collider Laboratory

Magnet Test/Data Management Group

Sun, 08 Oct 1995 01:58:48 GMT
 Rumbaugh Development Efforts
|> Ron Schultz requested summary posting of efforts done using Rumbaugh.
|> Here's mine:
|>
|> ... stuff deleted ...
|>
|> We are developing databases for magnet test data for the Superconducting
|> Super Collider project south of Dallas. We generate OOA diagrams using
|> Rumbaugh via ProtoSoft's Paradigm Plus tool, then translate them to
|> Extended ER diagrams in a Lawrence Berkeley Lab tool ER-Draw and SDT
|> (Schema Design and Translation), the latter of which creates SQL procedures
|> and tables and triggers for our Sybase database. We expect our first big
|> milestone with these tools in place in June when we begin testing magnets
|> in house in our new Magnet Test Laboratory. We purchased the Rumbaugh tool
|> a year ago, but are only in the past few months getting any real experience
|> with it. We have actively used the LBL toolset for almost 3 years with
|> great success.
|>
|> Hope that answers your questions!
|> --
|> Sandra (Candy) Robinson
|> Superconducting Super Collider Laboratory
|> 2550 Beckleymeade Ave., MS-1002
|> Dallas, TX 75237
|> -----------------------------------------

|> Magnet Test/Data Management Group

OK, that answers his questions, now you've generated a few from me.
What is the translation step to get from Protosoft files to the
Extended ER diagrams ? Is this just a human thing ?

What are the LBL tools and how can I find out more about them ?
We are using Rumbaugh and Sybase on an imaging project and if there's
a better way to express our systems with automated tools, this would
be nice !

Last (obvious) question, do you have any nits about the Protosoft stuff ?

dcd
--

%                                                                        %
% "All dumb opinions expressed here are mine and not Compaq's etc. etc." %

Sun, 08 Oct 1995 05:35:16 GMT

1. Estimating Smalltalk development efforts

2. Object-Oriented Development Efforts

3. Estimating OO Development Efforts

4. Object-Oriented Development Efforts

5. Toplink development effort ?

6. Estimating OO Development Efforts

7. Object-Oriented Development Efforts

8. Web Poll 1 Results: Booch/Rumbaugh/Jacobson Unification

9. OMT/Rumbaugh into Smalltalk

10. Joint Smalltalk OOT SIG Meeting On Rumbaugh Jan 10/95

11. Web Poll 1 Results: Booch/Rumbaugh/Jacobson Unification

12. "AN EVENING WITH BOOCH AND RUMBAUGH"