ensure: vs valueOnUnwindDo: (bug in VW7 Web Toolkit?)
Author Message
 ensure: vs valueOnUnwindDo: (bug in VW7 Web Toolkit?)

What's the difference between ensure: and valueOnUnwindDo:?  I get the
impression that valueOnUnwindDo: is more like ifCurtailed: than ensure:
but I can't tell.  In VisualWorks 7, there are several methods in
VisualWave which use ensure: that are overridden in the Web Toolkit
parcel to use valueOnUnwindDo:.  I'm more familiar with ensure: and
ifCurtailed: and I'm concerned that the overridden methods aren't
preserving VisualWave's original behavior.

David

Tue, 10 May 2005 23:18:49 GMT
 ensure: vs valueOnUnwindDo: (bug in VW7 Web Toolkit?)
David,

#valueOnUnwindDo: and #ifCurtailed: are synonyms.  Likewise,
#valueNowOrOnUnwindDo: and #ensure: are synonyms.  The preferred methods are
#ifCurtailed: and #ensure:.

Regards,
Chris

Quote:

> What's the difference between ensure: and valueOnUnwindDo:?  I get the
> impression that valueOnUnwindDo: is more like ifCurtailed: than ensure:
> but I can't tell.  In VisualWorks 7, there are several methods in
> VisualWave which use ensure: that are overridden in the Web Toolkit
> parcel to use valueOnUnwindDo:.  I'm more familiar with ensure: and
> ifCurtailed: and I'm concerned that the overridden methods aren't
> preserving VisualWave's original behavior.

> David

Wed, 11 May 2005 00:11:12 GMT
 ensure: vs valueOnUnwindDo: (bug in VW7 Web Toolkit?)
Well that's interesting.

Actually, the valueOnUnwindDo: is the original semantics of Wave. Web
Toolkit had overridden those for other reasons, and in the meantime the
Wave method was changed, but the difference wasn't propogated.

However, you're correct that valueOnUnwindDo: has essentially the
semantics of ifCurtailed:. It's the VisualWorks pre-ansi equivalent of
that. It also seems to me to be incorrect, or at least sub-optimal in
that context. By doing that, it seems to me that the sockets aren't
closed until they get GC'd, rather than being closed once they're not in
use any more.

Made AR 45242 to address this.

Quote:

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"I think we've shown simplicity to the world ... but I don't think we've
jammed simplicity down the throat of the world to the extent that we
really should have" - Ron Jeffries

Wed, 11 May 2005 01:10:26 GMT

1. Problems and Dictionary>>copy-Bug in VW3 and VW7

2. web vs standalone (VRML vs Inventor): question

3. Web Toolkit Benchmark

4. The sim_agent toolkit - demonstration movies on web page

5. The sim_agent toolkit - demonstration movies on web page

6. BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, C4 BUGS

7. stdcall vs c vs cdecl vs pascal vs whosyerdaddy

8. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

9. WEB WEB WEB

10. VisualWave vs. VisualAge Web Connection

11. VisualWave --vs-- VisualAge Web Connection

12. Internet application template vs. Web application template