How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy
Author Message
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy

Hi

Is there a simple way to produce parcels from an envy applications for
non
envy Smalltalk?

When I use the save as parcels this is parcel for Envy they contained
reference and prereq to Application.

Stef

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy

Quote:

> Hi

> Is there a simple way to produce parcels from an envy applications for
> non
> envy smalltalk?

> When I use the save as parcels this is parcel for Envy they contained
> reference and prereq to Application.

> Stef

I'm not talking from experience, but you could try this:

Create a parcel on your non-envy system that fullfils those
requirements, ie call the parcel Application and difine a  class named
Application in it.

Reinout Heeck
-------------

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy

Quote:

> I'm not talking from experience, but you could try this:

> Create a parcel on your non-envy system that fullfils those
> requirements, ie call the parcel Application and difine a  class named
> Application in it.

That was our original solution, too, and I admit it was more simple.  We
called it EMApps, and it defined SubApplication and Application.  But it
didn't address dependency issues or handle special parameters
(postLoadActions, primarily).

--
Ken Treis / Software Engineer
Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective

---
"Java and C++ make you think that the new ideas are like the old ones."
 -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy
You need to load the emapps.pcl parcel in your non-ENVY image _before_ you
load your ENVY parcels. The emapps parcel defines APplication and
SubApplication classes, in their proper place in the hierarchy.

We are moving from a single .im file to a .im + parcels, and it works
nicely.

One thing to keep in mind: in patch 981221, ObjectShare broke the parcel
980803 OR 990525, they are ok. The problem was in the class CodeReader, as I
discovered...

hth,

Yanick

Quote:
> Hi

> Is there a simple way to produce parcels from an envy applications for
> non
> envy smalltalk?

> When I use the save as parcels this is parcel for Envy they contained
> reference and prereq to Application.

> Stef

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy

Quote:

> Hi

> Is there a simple way to produce parcels from an envy applications for
> non
> envy smalltalk?

> When I use the save as parcels this is parcel for Envy they contained
> reference and prereq to Application.

> Stef

Yep.  You need to give the resulting parcel emapp.pcl (which you will
find in the base distro with Envy) as a pre-req parcel.  It contains
Application.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy
Sorry, my bad.  I thought Travis Griggs (here at Key) wrote our parcel
called "EMAPPS", but I was mistaken.  EMAPPS ships with ENVY for VW.

The parceling code I posted earlier allows you to generate parcels in
ENVY for use in a non-ENVY image without the use of EMAPPS.

--
Ken Treis / Software Engineer
Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective

---
"Java and C++ make you think that the new ideas are like the old ones."
 -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy

Thanks a lot for all these informations
I will try all that.

Ken may be it could be good that you post that into the Swiki
and /or the archive for other users.

Quote:

> Sorry, my bad.  I thought Travis Griggs (here at Key) wrote our parcel
> called "EMAPPS", but I was mistaken.  EMAPPS ships with ENVY for VW.

> The parceling code I posted earlier allows you to generate parcels in
> ENVY for use in a non-ENVY image without the use of EMAPPS.

> --
> Ken Treis / Software Engineer
> Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective

> ---
> "Java and C++ make you think that the new ideas are like the old ones."
>  -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. ENVY Application file in to non-ENVY VisualWorks

2. Non-Envy from Envy image, how?

3. file-out from Envy image for use in non-envy image

4. Envy to Non-Envy Image Conversion?

5. Parcel + Envy Problems

6. Parceling into ENVY from VW 5i.1

7. [Envy -> Parcels VW30]

8. [Envy -> Parcel]

9. VW5i/Envy ConfigMap Browser - Parceling

10. Making Parcels From Envy Apps

11. parceling with Envy

12. 3.0 + Envy -> 5i.X + Envy