Win32s Stability Information Request
Author Message
 Win32s Stability Information Request

We are interested in the possiblity of distributing Digitalk
Smalltalk apps out to a large number of our employees and
clients as well.

We are interested in peoples experience with Digitalk, and
other apps, running under Win32s.  We are interested in how
much support we might face with the Win32s stuff on top
of the applications we distribute.

I have used Win32s with MathCad and Mosaic without
problems.  Your comments are appreciated.

Thu, 23 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Win32s Stability Information Request

Quote:

>We are interested in peoples experience with Digitalk, and
>other apps, running under Win32s.  We are interested in how
>much support we might face with the Win32s stuff on top
>of the applications we distribute.

>I have used Win32s with MathCad and Mosaic without
>problems.  Your comments are appreciated.

I am amazed. We have had no end of problems with Win32S. Switched over to
NT as a result.

The problem with Win32S is that it works fine until it gets overloaded
with data (big records). At that point it goes nuts. (I am told that it
gets internal stack overflows and doesn't handle the situation at all
well).

At first we thought that we were having problems with Digitalk (but the
fact that NT works for us sort of proves where the problem lies). Futher,
we had experienced failures under Mosiac --- again with large images. (I
think it was Mosaic / I switched to Netscape about the same time for
other reasons and never looked back).

I have spoken to other (non-Digitalk) vendors and they have privately
echoed my opinion re 32S. (One claimed that Microsoft never intended to
release it, only the delay in Chicago precipitated what MS knew did not
work correctly).

BTW, Chicago (Win 95) beta seems to work fine for us so however Win32S
gets confused on "large" records is apparently fixed.

On the other hand, we did send out a prototype of our Smalltalk app
under Win32S and it did work OK (it did not deal with massive data
flows); so your mileage may vary. My suggestion would be to supply beta
deliveries if you have varying configurations in the field.

--
Charles L. Robinson
Datec Inc.

Thu, 23 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Win32s Stability Information Request

Quote:

>We are interested in peoples experience with Digitalk, and
>other apps, running under Win32s.  We are interested in how
>much support we might face with the Win32s stuff on top
>of the applications we distribute.

>I have used Win32s with MathCad and Mosaic without
>problems.  Your comments are appreciated.

I am amazed. We have had no end of problems with Win32S. Switched over to
NT as a result.

The problem with Win32S is that it works fine until it gets overloaded
with data (big records). At that point it goes nuts. (I am told that it
gets internal stack overflows and doesn't handle the situation at all
well).

At first we thought that we were having problems with Digitalk (but the
fact that NT works for us sort of proves where the problem lies). Futher,
we had experienced failures under Mosiac --- again with large images. (I
think it was Mosaic / I switched to Netscape about the same time for
other reasons and never looked back).

I have spoken to other (non-Digitalk) vendors and they have privately
echoed my opinion re 32S. (One claimed that Microsoft never intended to
release it, only the delay in Chicago precipitated what MS knew did not
work correctly).

BTW, Chicago (Win 95) beta seems to work fine for us so however Win32S
gets confused on "large" records is apparently fixed.

On the other hand, we did send out a prototype of our Smalltalk app
under Win32S and it did work OK (it did not deal with massive data
flows); so your mileage may vary. My suggestion would be to supply beta
deliveries if you have varying configurations in the field.

--
Charles L. Robinson
Datec Inc.
333 W. Wacker Drive
Suite 1040
Chicago, Ill. 60606-1225
Voice: (312)629-0880
FAX:   (312)629-0883

Thu, 23 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL.68000 information request (also for PClones)

2. A request for historical information for a computer education project

3. APL text on Web pages? Request for information

4. Request Basic Compiler Information

5. Smalltalk Industry Council information - request

6. NEWBIE Smalltalk information request

7. Information to include in requests for help

8. Request for Information

9. Information Request on Object-Oriented Testing

10. Fractals:Information Request

11. Clipper conversion to Windows information requested

12. Request for Information