D5: "There are no methods containing the text '#todo'
Author Message
 D5: "There are no methods containing the text '#todo'

Andy and Blair,

Thanks a lot for the new Dolphin 5.0 XP. I am very impressed from what I
have seen so far. For example, having the packages and the directories in
the CHB is useful, since it makes it very easy to save packages that have
been changed.

I have also discovered what must be a bug in the CHB.
Method>Browse>Containing text is not able to find Symbols. For example,
searching for #todo answers "There are no methods containing the text
'#todo'", but if I instead search only for 'todo' lots of instances are
shown.

Best regards,

Mikael Svane

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:03:58 GMT
 D5: "There are no methods containing the text '#todo'
Some more information. It seems that the problem is in
String>>matchPatternFrom:in:from:ignoreCase:. This method treats '#' as a
wildcard which means that the first character in the source is always
considered to be the same as the first one in the search string. Then the
second character of the source is matched with the second character of the
source, and the match fails.

Best regards,

Mikael Svane

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:23:44 GMT
 D5: "There are no methods containing the text '#todo'

Quote:
> Andy and Blair,

> Thanks a lot for the new Dolphin 5.0 XP. I am very impressed from what I
> have seen so far. For example, having the packages and the directories in
> the CHB is useful, since it makes it very easy to save packages that have
> been changed.

Thank you.

Quote:

> I have also discovered what must be a bug in the CHB.
> Method>Browse>Containing text is not able to find Symbols. For example,
> searching for #todo answers "There are no methods containing the text
> '#todo'", but if I instead search only for 'todo' lots of instances are
> shown.

This is not a bug. # is traditionally a wildcard character in Smalltalk
string matching. If you want to search for methods that reference a Symbol
then the Browse/References command (workspace context menu or
Browse/References To... on the system folder menu bar) is both faster and
more accurate.

Regards

Blair

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:41:54 GMT
 D5: "There are no methods containing the text '#todo'

Quote:

> This is not a bug. # is traditionally a wildcard character in Smalltalk
> string matching. If you want to search for methods that reference a Symbol
> then the Browse/References command (workspace context menu or
> Browse/References To... on the system folder menu bar) is both faster and
> more accurate.

Thanks for the explanation. The behaviour in 5.0 is different from that in
4.01.3, which finds #todo and other Symbols, and therefore I thought that it
was a bug.

Best regards,

Mikael Svane

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:47:30 GMT

1. "don't care" method

2. Question on 'Contained Sub-Programs'

3. '"""' and linefeed characters

4. What means, e.g., ('';'/')"_

5. 'who am i' from unix

6. "'Snakeymathtem'": Virus?

7. LabView 5.1.1, 'Failure: "linker.c", line 1825': Please Help

8. About ''"CooL": low-level macros considered useful

9. python -c "help('while')"

10. Cannot Delete Orphaned "ToDo Procedures"

11. LabVIEW's equivalent to Excel's GoalSeek method

12. Method type 'abstract'