classlib for 3-D imaging/VR
Author Message
 classlib for 3-D imaging/VR

I am looking for a Smalltalk class library, prepackaged or
even just someone's work to date in the area of 3-D modeling.
Specifically, I am bidding on the development of a virtual
interior design studio.  I need to import prerendered scene
components, e.g. walls, sofas, beds, and then provide
editing and viewing functions.  For example the user can drop
colors from a color wheel onto an object, or textures from a
texture map inventory, and have the component in the scene
redraw itself with the new look.  I realize that I can't
rerender the component in real time, so instead I want to use
various graphics heuristics to 'fake out' a renedered look that
passes for reality to the untrained eye.  I also need to provide
some primitive navigating ability, probably just the ability to
zoom in or out, not necessarily changing the viewing position in
3-D space since that would require a rerendering of the scene.
  Does anyone know of the existance of any class libraries in
Smalltalk (commercial or otherwise) that offer any 3-D viewing
capabilities, texture mapping, shading, etc.  ParcPlace
Visualworks 2.0 is my target platform.
  Any pointers to Internet servers (WWW?) with relevant
information would also be greatly appreciated.
  Matthew Pope
  Object Solutions Inc.
  Toronto, ON CANADA

Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:15:12 GMT
 classlib for 3-D imaging/VR

Quote:
> I am looking for a Smalltalk class library, prepackaged or
> even just someone's work to date in the area of 3-D modeling.
> Specifically, I am bidding on the development of a virtual
> interior design studio.  I need to import prerendered scene
> components, e.g. walls, sofas, beds, and then provide
> editing and viewing functions.  For example the user can drop
> colors from a color wheel onto an object, or textures from a
> texture map inventory, and have the component in the scene
> redraw itself with the new look.  I realize that I can't
> rerender the component in real time, so instead I want to use
> various graphics heuristics to 'fake out' a renedered look that
> passes for reality to the untrained eye.  I also need to provide
> some primitive navigating ability, probably just the ability to
> zoom in or out, not necessarily changing the viewing position in
> 3-D space since that would require a rerendering of the scene.
>   Does anyone know of the existance of any class libraries in
> Smalltalk (commercial or otherwise) that offer any 3-D viewing
> capabilities, texture mapping, shading, etc.  ParcPlace
> Visualworks 2.0 is my target platform.
>   Any pointers to Internet servers (WWW?) with relevant
> information would also be greatly appreciated.
>   Matthew Pope
>   Object Solutions Inc.
>   Toronto, ON CANADA

Well! I am working on something similar.
I am implementing a 3D-GameEngine Library for Smalltalk/V Win32.
I try to using some existing DLL in Windows which can handle 3D Modeling.
Then I map those function calls to Smalltalk messages.

BTW, if you have any good exist source codes, please point to me also.
Thanks!!!

Samuel Chung
School of Computer Science
Carleton University

Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:53:45 GMT
 classlib for 3-D imaging/VR
The closest thing to a 3-D imaging library in the Smalltalk archive
is a system for computational geometry in
/pub/STV/st_v/v_mac/geometric_wrkbench (by ftp from st.cs.uiuc.edu).
It is in Smalltalk V/Mac, but has lots of documentation, so perhaps
you could save a lot of time by starting from it.

-Ralph Johnson

Mon, 05 May 1997 22:30:09 GMT
 classlib for 3-D imaging/VR

RE: 3-D Smalltalk Libraries
Thanks very much for the reference.  I am downloading the library
mentioned, although I will not need to provide the 3-D aspects in
the prototype.  I've just learned I've got the project, at least the
prototype, unfortunetely I have only seven weeks.
  Would anyone know of a product that will provide 'Pantone' colors
in ParcPlace VisualWorks 2.0?  This is essential for the prototype.
  I'll provide an initial evaluation of the 3-D modeling library
to those that request it, in a few weeks.
  Matthew Pope
  Object Solutions Inc.
  Toronto, ON CANADA
  (416) 652-6480  Facsimile (416) 652-7567

Wed, 07 May 1997 11:51:07 GMT

1. ds ds

2. Real VR redux [Forth-based VR!]

3. VR Proposals, VR Requirements Spec (examples needed)

4. Help! Looking for CLASSLIB for APL/ Charles Sims

5. C++ Classlib for Clipper-data And Index Files?!

6. import Image vs from PIL import Image vs import PIL.Image

7. Seek examples of BFS or DFS and implementation of tree DS

8. Is DS capable of writing business applications fast?

9. TGen for DS 4.01

10. DC and DS in load modules?

11. Why 'DS 0H'? (was Re

12. DS: Clarion & CGI