Smalltalk problem: optimization
Author Message
 Smalltalk problem: optimization

Gday, we (a final year project group) are having problems with our Smalltalk
image, the problem is, that every now and then, the image seems to optimize all
our code, stripping comments, and changing variable names...
does anyone know how to stop this, or any thing about this???

any help would be muchly appreciated

Thanks Ian

--
        Ian the Gnurfling Paddy       | Mrs Elks theory about Brontosaurus's:
   Uni of Wollongong, NSW, Australia. | Brontosaurus's are thin at one end,

Mon, 05 Feb 1996 08:20:29 GMT
 Smalltalk problem: optimization

Quote:
>Gday, we (a final year project group) are having problems with our smalltalk
>image, the problem is, that every now and then, the image seems to optimize all
>our code, stripping comments, and changing variable names...
>does anyone know how to stop this, or any thing about this???

Sounds as if the path given for the source/changes files is invalid.  If you
then look at method code in a browser, the system will present the decompiled
method code, using generated variable names instead of the original ones.

---

Paniglg. 16, A-1040 Vienna, Austria             ...mcsun!vexpert!mst

Mon, 05 Feb 1996 21:23:47 GMT
 Smalltalk problem: optimization

Quote:
>Gday, we (a final year project group) are having problems with our smalltalk
>image, the problem is, that every now and then, the image seems to optimize all
>our code, stripping comments, and changing variable names...
>does anyone know how to stop this, or any thing about this???

We have had identical problems over here.
The problems is that we have been fooling around with
the changes file (extension ".changes" under Unix for ParcPlace,
filenem "changes.log" for Digitalk ).
This file contains _all_ your written source code and should
not be changed in any way.

Also, be sure to back up bith the image and the changes file together.

             Jos Warmer                        PTT Research

             phone: +3170 332 3473             P.O. Box 421
             fax  : +3170 332 6477             2260 AK Leidschendam
             telex: 31236 rnl nl               The Netherlands

Mon, 05 Feb 1996 22:45:10 GMT
 Smalltalk problem: optimization

Quote:
>Gday, we (a final year project group) are having problems with our smalltalk
>image, the problem is, that every now and then, the image seems to optimize
>all our code, stripping comments, and changing variable names...
>does anyone know how to stop this, or any thing about this???

>any help would be muchly appreciated

>Thanks Ian

>--
>        Ian the Gnurfling Paddy       | Mrs Elks theory about Brontosaurus's:
>   Uni of Wollongong, NSW, Australia. | Brontosaurus's are thin at one end,
>    3/32 Rann St, Fairy Meadow, 2519  | much, *much* thicker in the middle,

Sounds like pessimization to me <g>!

In the old days (Old ParcPlace images) this used to be a symptom of a trashed
or missing changes file, sources file, or both. The old images automagically
decompiled the methods, showing them w/o comments and with arg and var names
like "arg1", "arg2", etc.

Could this or something similar be happening to you?

Tue, 06 Feb 1996 00:09:12 GMT
 Smalltalk problem: optimization
|> Gday, we (a final year project group) are having problems with our smalltalk
|> image, the problem is, that every now and then, the image seems to optimize all
|> our code, stripping comments, and changing variable names...
|> does anyone know how to stop this, or any thing about this???
|>
|> any help would be muchly appreciated
|>
|> Thanks Ian
|>
|> --
|>         Ian the Gnurfling Paddy       | Mrs Elks theory about Brontosaurus's:
|>    Uni of Wollongong, NSW, Australia. | Brontosaurus's are thin at one end,
|>     3/32 Rann St, Fairy Meadow, 2519  | much, *much* thicker in the middle,

Smalltalk keeps two files: an image file (.im) and a changes file (.changes).
The .changes file keeps the source code: the .im file keeps compiled versions
of the code. Smalltalk being what it is, it can decompile the compiled
methods, except you lose your comments and all your variables are named
t1, t2, etc.

Normally, the .changes file has the same root name as the .im file. If you
move it, or rename it, or (ack!) delete it, your code will be 'optimized'.

Look in the System Browser for some doits that will change the name of your
.changes file.

--
-------------------

Mon, 05 Feb 1996 23:29:03 GMT

1. Smalltalk inlining and optimization (was Re: language constructs hipocrisy)

2. Code optimizations in Smalltalk VW 2.0?

3. Code optimizations in Smalltalk VW 2.0?

4. Any Smalltalk supporting tail recursion optimization ?

5. Genetic Optimization Algorithms for Smalltalk??

6. xml.smalltalk.org, mod.smalltalk.org and camp.smalltalk.org DNS problems resolved

7. Optimization problem

8. Bit Scanning Optimization Problem

9. gnat3.10 optimization O2 on win95 - problem

10. !!MOV vs LODSD - optimization problem

11. interesting code optimization problem to try

12. A REAL optimization problem.