WBPro input field widgets and edit masks?
Author Message
 WBPro input field widgets and edit masks?

Can someone tell me how to apply edit masks to a WindowBuilder input
field?  What I want, for instance, is to have an input field in which
the user should put a date.  But, the user needs to be explicitly shown
the format of the date so I want to provide a mask.  The input field
would look as follows:

 ______________
|  MM/DD/YYYY  |
 --------------

When the user types in digits, they simply replace the character
designations for each field (MM, DD, YYYY).  Also, the $/ character
should stay in the same place (as if it was overlayed).

Is there a predefined path for doing this?  If not, how complicated
should I expect the solution to be (i.e., is the solution contained
within the widget, or do I need to use additional things to implement
it)?

Thanks for the help :-)
pete

--
______    _______________    _____
      \  /Peter W. Hatch \  /
       >< Zen Smalltalker ><
______/  \_______________/  \_____

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WBPro input field widgets and edit masks?

Quote:

> Can someone tell me how to apply edit masks to a WindowBuilder input
> field?  What I want, for instance, is to have an input field in which
> the user should put a date.  But, the user needs to be explicitly shown
> the format of the date so I want to provide a mask.  The input field
> would look as follows:

>  ______________
> |  MM/DD/YYYY  |
>  --------------

> When the user types in digits, they simply replace the character
> designations for each field (MM, DD, YYYY).  Also, the $/ character
> should stay in the same place (as if it was overlayed).

> Is there a predefined path for doing this?  If not, how complicated
> should I expect the solution to be (i.e., is the solution contained
> within the widget, or do I need to use additional things to implement
> it)?

There are no widgets (CwWidget subclasses) supplied with VAST that support
the above. The standard CwText widget has no concept of an edit mask.
Fortunately, we do sell a variety of add-on widget kits for VAST that do
supply the behavior you are looking for (even better behavior, in fact).
Take a look at either WidgetKit/Controls at:

        http://www.smalltalksystems.com/wkctrls.htm

or WidgetKit/Professional at:

        http://www.smalltalksystems.com/wkpro.htm

Both products provide Date specific widgets. WK/Pro also provides a
generalized Masked Edit field.

-Eric Clayberg
Vice President
Instantiations, Inc., Smalltalk Systems Division

 http://www.smalltalksystems.com
 http://www.instantiations.com

 GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Question: Edit Masks for entry fields

2. VW2 Input Field Masking/Filtering

3. Input Field Mask

4. Masking input for Password field in CA-Dbfast

5. >Masking input for Password field in CA-dBFast

6. SQLSelect - Loading database/table field data into an Edit field

7. Mask Edit VBX

8. Masking video display of users input

9. Descriptive Input Mask or File?

10. Input mask

11. field mask

12. Page Up/Down event masks and pos of top left corner of text widget