Smalltalk Express question (translator available?)
Author Message
 Smalltalk Express question (translator available?)

Greetings,
Does anyone know whether there is any software around that can translate
Smalltalk Express code into a newer version of Smalltalk or into C++? I have
several programs in Smalltalk Express, and I'd like to move out of it
because the limitations (or bugs) seem to be so severe. For example, there
is the rare "known problem" with the operating system crashing when
Smalltalk Express shuts down.
--Brad Hagen

Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:21:05 GMT
 Smalltalk Express question (translator available?)

Quote:

> Does anyone know whether there is any software around that can translate
> Smalltalk Express code into a newer version of Smalltalk or into C++?

C++? Not a chance. Other Smalltalk dialects? Sure. Coming from Smalltalk
Express, your easiest porting option would be Visual Smalltalk 2000 (which
is a direct descendent of Smalltalk Express...complete with WindowBuilder
Pro). You can get VSE2K from Cincom (but it might be expensive, and it's
long-term prospects aren't good).

Your next best porting choice would be IBM's Visual Smalltalk (VAST) for
which at least two commercial Smalltalk Express to VAST translation tools
exist:

1) Our WBTT product...

    http://www.instantiations.com/sts/wbtt.htm

2) Synchrony Systems' SMT product...

    http://www.sync-sys.com/01main.htm

VAST also has the benefit of being philosophically similar to Smalltalk
Express, and much better long-term prospects than VSE.

-Eric Clayberg
 Sr. Vice President of Product Development
 Instantiations, Inc.

 http://www.instantiations.com

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:17:20 GMT
 Smalltalk Express question (translator available?)
Those tools mentioned can also move the code pretty easily to
VisualWorks (Cincom) - which has been seeing a <lot> of active development
Quote:

>>Does anyone know whether there is any software around that can translate
>>Smalltalk Express code into a newer version of Smalltalk or into C++?

> C++? Not a chance. Other Smalltalk dialects? Sure. Coming from Smalltalk
> Express, your easiest porting option would be Visual Smalltalk 2000 (which
> is a direct descendent of Smalltalk Express...complete with WindowBuilder
> Pro). You can get VSE2K from Cincom (but it might be expensive, and it's
> long-term prospects aren't good).

> Your next best porting choice would be IBM's Visual Smalltalk (VAST) for
> which at least two commercial Smalltalk Express to VAST translation tools
> exist:

> 1) Our WBTT product...

>     http://www.instantiations.com/sts/wbtt.htm

> 2) Synchrony Systems' SMT product...

>     http://www.sync-sys.com/01main.htm

> VAST also has the benefit of being philosophically similar to Smalltalk
> Express, and much better long-term prospects than VSE.

> -Eric Clayberg
>  Sr. Vice President of Product Development
>  Instantiations, Inc.

>  http://www.instantiations.com

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:45:20 GMT
 Smalltalk Express question (translator available?)

Quote:
> Those tools mentioned can also move the code pretty easily to
> VisualWorks (Cincom)

Hmmm...both SMT and WBTT both *target* VisualAge, and not VisualWorks to my
knowledge (SMT can use VW as a *source*). I imagine that either tool could
be made to support VisualWorks, but I am not aware of any work having been
done in that area.

-Eric

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:55:49 GMT
 Smalltalk Express question (translator available?)
Thank you both. That's very helpful.
Best regards,
Brad

Quote:

> > Those tools mentioned can also move the code pretty easily to
> > VisualWorks (Cincom)

> Hmmm...both SMT and WBTT both *target* VisualAge, and not VisualWorks to
my
> knowledge (SMT can use VW as a *source*). I imagine that either tool could
> be made to support VisualWorks, but I am not aware of any work having been
> done in that area.

> -Eric

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 01:57:47 GMT

1. TCP/IP available for Smalltalk Express

2. Smalltalk Express v2.03 Update Available!

3. Smalltalk Express v2.0.4 Update Available!

4. Question about the ObjectFiler in Smalltalk Express

5. Numpty question about Smalltalk Express

6. Smalltalk Express Questions

7. SE / Smalltalk V: Delay for Smalltalk Express ?

8. Smalltalk/V and Smalltalk Express

9. FreePort Express V1.0 now available

10. An EXPRESS information model of VHDL semantics (available by ftp)

11. An EXPRESS information model of VHDL semantics (available by ftp)